screencasting with tf300t

ch3howard

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I have recently purchased a TF300T and wanted to do some screencasting b/c I teach math and thought it would be a pretty cool tool to use. Clearly I did not research enough before my purchase, so I'm looking for help.

Before I bought my Asus tablet, I saw the android app for screencasting (it's called screencast) and it said it was compatible w/my tablet - yay! So, I bought the tablet, and even confidently paid the $4 for the app. THEN, I read the fine print that the Asus had to be rooted. wth! I didn't even know what that meant, so I researched it and successfully rooted my TF300T yesterday, heart pounding all the way - phew! This morning I went to run the app - and I thought it was doing beautifully until I went to look at the video I made - all I saw was a black asus screen thingy. Sigh - I looked through my settings and thought maybe there was a box I need to check or something, but then, after MORE research, I found out my Asus tablet is a Tegra 3 (whatever that means), and, of course, the screencasting app is not gonna work with that (for now).

I've spent tons of time looking for solutions and looking for other screencasting software out there but have found nothing. Here are my questions:
Now that I"m rooted, are there any ROMs that will allow me to get java on my tablet or to download SOME kind of screencasting software?
I also have a laptop (Toshiba) and wondered if I could set up the screenrecording on that and connect my tablet with it, then somehow use the touchscreen stuff on my laptop and record it. (I know - it sounds like a fairy tale!)
I feel like I've hit a brick wall and am so disappointed and frustrated at this point, so any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. I am a bit of a newb at this, but I"m a fast learner. Thanks for any ideas you can throw my way!!

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
What exactly are you trying to do. That app says not tegra 3 compatible yet. So no tf300.

I am not sure what you are doing or if you really need to have it as saved videos, but you can use splash top to control your laptop with your 300. There is a version of it already on your tablet so all you will have to do is put the free client on your laptop and you can do it over wifi.

Or you can always just display your screen through hdmi cable on tv, and laptop, whatever and use a screen capture on them

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Reactions: ch3howard

ch3howard

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
ok - you've already given me some ideas to pursue...
I was trying to open something like Lecturenotes on my tablet, then begin recording (audio and screen) and then do some math problems while I talk about what I"m doing. Once I'm done, I hit stop and post the video to my website.

I didn't think about the hdmi cable....

I also ran across splash top, but wasn't sure I could activate screen capture on my laptop and then have it capture stuff on my tablet - if I could, that would probably work as well.

I think I might go w/your hdmi idea first - sounds like I'd need a mini hdmi (tablet) to a normal hdmi connection (laptop), and then see how it goes?

Thanks again - even if I'm sounding like a severe rookie, any ideas/answers might help me.
Cheryl

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
ok - you've already given me some ideas to pursue...
I was trying to open something like Lecturenotes on my tablet, then begin recording (audio and screen) and then do some math problems while I talk about what I"m doing. Once I'm done, I hit stop and post the video to my website.

I didn't think about the hdmi cable....

I also ran across splash top, but wasn't sure I could activate screen capture on my laptop and then have it capture stuff on my tablet - if I could, that would probably work as well.

I think I might go w/your hdmi idea first - sounds like I'd need a mini hdmi (tablet) to a normal hdmi connection (laptop), and then see how it goes?

Thanks again - even if I'm sounding like a severe rookie, any ideas/answers might help me.
Cheryl

Lol your fine. Now I understand what you are doing.

I have not seen a laptop recording software, but that does not mean there is not one. If you use a program on your laptop to do your math and stuff then you can use splash top to control it and just do everything(display,record,use program) from the laptop and just control it with your tablet. That I think would be the easiest and best. The splash top version that comes on the tablet is pretty good. It's in the my cloud app.

Otherwise you can display on a tv with hdmi and record some way off the tv. I'm not sure what your options are for this, but I know that there are ways

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

ch3howard

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I can't wait to try the hdmi cable! The main thing I want to be able to do is to write math problems & solve them out with a stylus (or whatever) on a touchscreen and be able to record the screen and my voice at the same time. Khan academy has a ton of these done, but I want to do them myself to tailor make them for my own students. So, I have hopes now....again, lol. Thanks so much - we'll see how it goes.

If only the subject of math were easier to do and could be shown with a keyboard...but using handwriting is WaYYYY easier, lol!

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait to try the hdmi cable! The main thing I want to be able to do is to write math problems & solve them out with a stylus (or whatever) on a touchscreen and be able to record the screen and my voice at the same time. Khan academy has a ton of these done, but I want to do them myself to tailor make them for my own students. So, I have hopes now....again, lol. Thanks so much - we'll see how it goes.

If only the subject of math were easier to do and could be shown with a keyboard...but using handwriting is WaYYYY easier, lol!

Ok what you do is find a drawing notes program for your computer and a screen recording software that can also record audio. Then you just have to get a mic and use splash top to operate everything.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Reactions: ch3howard