10.6.1.14.10 firmware update rolling out - watch out: it cannot be rooted ATP

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The first users are getting the firmware update (don't get your hopes up: Still JB 4.2.1) and it seems that Asus plugged the loophole the Motochopper tool used to gain root.
The same thing happened to TF300/201 owners when they got their last update recently, and since these firmware versions are very similar it's more than likely it's going to be the same story for the TF700. Lots of TF300 users found out after the fact that they had lost root and could not re-root after accepting the update.
OTA rootkeeper and Motochopper are not working on the last TF300 update.
If you already have the 10.6.1.14.10 firmware, could you confirm this please?

You can always downgrade to 10.6.1.14.8 and re-root, but maybe you want to check the forums first, and see if the update is worth the trouble...

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Update: Seems, this is not the major update the TF300 got recently. Only minor changes, and one user reported keeping root successfully with OTA rootkeeper.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

SirTrout

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Just got it, we will see how it runs. Thinking of changing out the rom for a custom one that is faster, any thoughts on what to try?

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I have heard from enough users on XDA and the Transformer forums that I consider this confirmed:

Motochopper does not work on the 10.6.1.14.10 firmware anymore, but you can keep root from the .8 firmware if you backup root with Voodoo Rootkeeper, temp-unroot, apply the update and restore root.

If you're already on .10, you can downgrade to .8, root with Motochopper and proceed as described.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

blinddriver

May 13, 2012
Visit site
How do I downgrade to .8?
I just recently bought this and it came with .10
I keep seeing a lot of folks saying just downgrade to .8 I have the .8 from asus, how do i install it? I have developer option on and usb debugging, so it is easy to go from pc to tablet and all. Also have a micro SD 20gb installed. I think I want to backup all and do a factory reset to start, but how do i backup the data from my games without root?
Has anyone posted a step by step downgrade list?

Thanks.

blinddriver

May 13, 2012
Visit site
HOW DO WE DOWNGRADE? : 10.6.1.14.10 firmware update rolling out - watch out: it cannot be rooted ATP

How do I downgrade. i posted this I think in the wrong place:

I keep seeing a lot of folks saying just downgrade to .8 I have the .8 from asus, how do i install it? I have developer option on and usb debugging, so it is easy to go from pc to tablet and all. Also have a micro SD 20gb installed. I think I want to backup all and do a factory reset to start, but how do i backup the data from my games without root?

Thanks.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: HOW DO WE DOWNGRADE? : 10.6.1.14.10 firmware update rolling out - watch out: it cannot be rooted

How do I downgrade. i posted this I think in the wrong place:

Thanks.

Why do you want to downgrade to .8? The only reason I can see is to root with Motochopper. Is that it?

Not worth it IMO, because root alone doesn't do much for this tablet. But if you insist:
Unzip the downloaded .8 firmware once, resulting in another zip.
Copy that zip to the root of your internal SD and you should get a notification asking you if you want to downgrade. Reboot if you don't.

No idea where your games store their data, but without root all you can do is to copy the entire contents of your SD to your microSD and copy it back after you downgraded.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87