Nook Color... thoughts/impressions?

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Nook Color is coming out- I've seen a few reviews and surprised at the lack of chatter for this device! From the sounds of it, it's a Galaxy Tab (underpowered) running Android 2.1 for only $250!

Tether this with my Epic 4g and I've got an android tablet for less than 1/2 of the Galaxy Tab!

Mind you, from the sounds of it, you'll have to root and sideload apps- but at 1/2 the cost, no contract and the benefit of Nook installed support for magazines- I would think this is the best of both worlds...(unless you really need gaming or OS 2.2)

Am I thinking crazy? $600 is way too much for a tablet- but this thing, even if it isn't as fast to process as my phone is priced right for my needs...but not if it remains locked and is largely a dedicated ereader.

lil_sunshine

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree. I have a nook now & it's just not the reading experience that I want. I would prefer reading in bed on something with a backlit screen (white letters/black background to make it easier on my eyes). So, I find myself wishing that my nook was more like a tablet with a decent browser & some key apps. A hacked nook color is all I need. Let the rooting begin!

hjbrager

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Nookcolor

I received my Nookcolor a couple of days ago (Nov. 18th) and I love it--with some reservations. The color is brilliant and can be dimmed so that reading in bed at night is a pleasure (doesn't keep my hubby awake). Downloading books is easy and the selection, excellent. The internet access is acceptable, but I hope the promised Adroid upgrade is coming soon. I really miss Flash more than I thought I would. The touch screen is a little "touchy" and doesn't always do what I want, especially when I'm working on a crossword puzzle, but I'm just grateful for the puzzles included in the package.

Anyone know how to download Overdrive Media to an Android device? I would love to be able to read library books on the Nookcolor before I go bankrupt.

It's nicely portable, but I should have factored a cover into my budget because I'm nervous without one.

Reactions: lil_sunshine

lil_sunshine

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how to download Overdrive Media to an Android device? I would love to be able to read library books on the Nookcolor before I go bankrupt.

It's nicely portable, but I should have factored a cover into my budget because I'm nervous without one.

I got my original nook instead of the Kindle because it is compatible with my library ePub books. Just download the Adobe software to your PC (there should be a link on your libray's digital media page), checkout the books that you want, hook up your nook to your computer with the USB cable, give it a few moments to make the connection, then drag and drop your library books to the device.

kchase731

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
this will not work as there is no way to enable usb debugging. im hoping for a root soon. this will be a killer device with a little help.

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe this is the only thread on AC about the nook color. If what Engadget is saying about root is true, the nookcolor could be my ideal android tab. Built in wifi and only $249.

bilbothejust

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Love the Nook Color

I sold my iPad to to buy the Nook Color for me and the Kindle 3 for my wife. If you have a large collection of books become familiar with Calibre as this will help you convert DRM free books from/to either device.

Re. the Nook Color impressions: Compared to the iPad it is a joy to finally be able to hold an eReader that doesn't cause muscle fatigue. It's twice the weight of the K3 but still easy to hold in one hand. The iPad, forget it. Need a stand.

B&N has dedicated the 3 home screens to B&N purchased content, so this one goes to the iPad for giving ONE bookshelf. In the Nook you have to create your own, but not terribly annoying since there is a tab on the home screen (upper right) that will display the last three books/mags/etc you have been reading and it is easy to click right to them.

Some folks are under the impression that there is no back button...there is...you just swipe the bottom of the screen by the battery indicator to the left and voila, you go back where you came from.

I agree that the screen sensitivity needs some tweaking. It is really touchy and I've been told this is because the screen is dirty...? Huh?

I am hoping someone will root the device soon so we can mess with the home screen page to be more like the iPad bookshelf.

In conclusion: Love the device. Love to read and the iPad is an expensive reader. Imagine, I sold my iPad and had enough $$ to buy the Nook Color AND the Kindle 3 and still have $ left to buy books. Sweet deal.

Come on NookDevs.

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I picked mine up on launch day, and have been nothing but impressed with it. I'm running an X for my phone now, after a year with my Droid 1, so a lot of my impressions will reference those...

The browser. Very similar to both phones, very "vanilla" android browser, and it works great. No flash at this point, but I'm finding I don't really miss it. It renders pages well, and while it doesn't support pinch to zoom, the double tap method works much better than it originally did on the droid.

As a reader it works well, with the screen being very easy on the eyes. Its color range is good, and it's really solid as a media viewer, (encode video to apple tv 640 width specs, and it looks great) and photos look really sharp. It's not E-ink, and having come from an original nook, I thought I wouldn't like reading for a long period with it, but its proven to be very livable.

Pandora works well, no issues at all, and load times are quick on all the included applications.

I'm following the rooting talk with interest over at XDA, as I'm really loving the idea of being able to load other apps onto it (and maybe a little bump to the cpu speed, it's never slow, but sometimes theres a slight hesitation that might be gone with an extra 200mhz), because with the addition of the google apps, this thing would really be ideal as a carry everywhere tablet.

So far so good, I'm impressed, and for 250, it's about half of what it should cost now adays.

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site

The neoprene cover for the original nook fits the nook color very well, and can be had for 19.99 or under at B+N, sometimes it hits the 50% off nook case shelf too.

ChrisFricke

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Personally - I'd rather leave the Nook Color alone and let it do what it does (which is to be an awesome next gen reader) and get an Archos 101 for the tablet experience. Fifty bucks more for a larger (not underpowered) tablet with more potential for awesome? Hell buy both and still pay less than a Galaxy Tab. In fact that's what I think I'm going to do: Nook Color for the woman, Archos 101 for the the whole family.

Thanks Android Central, you just helped me solve Christmas (or part of it)!

cinnamontoast

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I think I might want to pick up a NC later in a few months as XDA comes along with their hacking. Right now it's been rooted but I'm sure they'll come up with a easier automated solution soon enough.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Someone on another forum (sorry, can't recall where) summed it up so simply for me...

What Barnes & Noble has done is brilliant...they have marketed a lower end tablet as a higher end eReader.

When you look at it this way...it kind of opens the mind up a bit more...such as the poster that plans to buy a Nook Color AND Archos...why not just by the Archos and put the Nook app on it?

This also makes me want to be a bit patient and see when the Galaxy wifi version comes out and what price it will have. It will definitely cost more than the Nook Color, but doesn't the Galaxy have GPS? And bluetooth capability? Those are 2 things missing from Nook Color that will never make it as capable...how cool would it be to use Google Navigation on a device that size...anyway, point is the higher price may be easier to justify (assuming it is lower than the price on the current 3G models).

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I got a nook color and rooted it yesterday. Two words: bad ass! Anyone saying this thing is underpowered is smoking something. Have installed a bunch of apps and all are working fine. Of course I look forward to custom ROMs smoothing out the experience, but overall I am delighted!

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
i have to admit i am interested in getting one only if it gets rooted. Not really wanted a reader device. just a cheap tablet to hang on my fridge. ( loved the idea jerry) and one for the road to watch like movies and play some games (here is to hoping angry birds works lol) is the only place to buy this at B&N?

EDIT: oh snaps i went over to the xda forums and i'm really thinking bout getting this now. prob gonna go sunday to B&N and check out the device

Last edited:

angiebugg

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I checked it out last weekend and it looks great actually!!!! Read through a children's book with my daughter and she loved it.

Thre nook color rep there said that it will have access to the Andriod Market beginning Jan 1st, because that is when their contract starts. So, this is great news and I am definately considering this device, there is something about that little ergo hole on the bottom left that just makes it too!

I'll wait and say Merry Christmas to ME!

JMarkyBB

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Ordered A Nook Color, I am in the UK.

Hiya everbody

Ordered a Nook Color, awaiting delivery on Fri, its now Wed Evening.

I am hoping and wishing it works fine in the UK.

I'm thinking of rooting it, is this sensible?

Geezer Squid

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Got my wife a NookColor. I've spent the last couple of days rooting it and getting the apps working. I now have the new Market, Gmail, Maps 5, Youtube, Dolphin Browser, etc working on it. Launcher Pro works well, but not perfectly (dock icons don't work, but everything else does). All the standard root apps work fine; Terminal Emulator, Root Explorer, etc.

I've read that Koush is working on Clockwork for the Nook. I"m sure roms and kernels will follow that soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95