[GUIDE] How to Root Your Nook Color

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
What ROM is put on the NC after successfully rooting using this guide? Eclair 2.1?

And I noticed in the other Nookie Froyo thread for the SD card that you don't have to be rooted to be able to run that, considering you use this root method and want Froyo, would you still be able to take advantage of all the root goodness by having it loaded on the SD card?

Yes, and yes. :)

... No new ROM is put on your nook by rooting, you're simply gaining root access to the ROM that it's already running. It's B&N's modified version of 2.1, Eclair.

Of course you can still boot nookie off of an SD after rooting. I'd say most people running nookie are also rooted. I only pointed out that it isn't necessary because being able to run a custom ROM without rooting is a very rare phenomenon on an android device.

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes, and yes. :)

Of course you can still boot nookie off of an SD after rooting. I'd say most people running nookie are also rooted. I only pointed out that it isn't necessary because being able to run a custom ROM without rooting is a very rare phenomenon on an android device.

Thanks for clearing this up. I come from the Evo world and it did seem unfathomable to use a custom ROM without being rooted. Now I think it's time to buy this device ;)

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
A surprising number of people with this problem simply reboot their nook and/or computer once or twice and then adb picks up the nook. Could be more than that, but worth a try if you haven't yet.

I've done that multiple times. I'm going to try it on a different computer. The one I was using last night was a Vista comp. The one I'm going to try it on is a Windows 7 x64. Not that it should really make any difference.

Thanks for the reply!

just tried it again, it went to a point where it found 4 devices, and then it was searching Windows UPdate for the driver for one. I cancelled the search and it came back with an error. I went under Device Manager expecting to see a device with no driver, but nothing was there. Where in Windows 7 can you see the history of driver install failures?

I even tried this:

[DRIVER PACK] Easy USB ADB Installer for Windows (32/64 bit)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=910008

Any ideas?

Last edited:

steveymacjr

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Once you root the NC, is there a way to install the Blockbuster App? I have it on my EVO right now, and love watching movies with it..would be excellent on the NC's bigger screen!

Last edited:

whiteyjuice

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
win32diskimager

Running Windows 7. Win32diskimager keeps encountering an application error so I cannot begin the rooting process. Are there any other programs I can use?

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Running Windows 7. Win32diskimager keeps encountering an application error so I cannot begin the rooting process. Are there any other programs I can use?

You can try gparted - many people really like it, though I haven't used it, so can't give specific instructions.

Could virus protection/firewall maybe be blocking win32diskimager? I'm on Win7 and it's always worked perfectly for me . . .

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
wow, , I have spent 3 hours on different forums trying to find a solution to the problem. I installed Nookie on a flash drive and it booted to Froyo, but I could not get the driver to install right, installed the SDK, but the google driver it listed wasn't working, finally I just turned if off, and took the sd card out. Turned it back on and it started it's rebooting cycle all over again, but this time on the 5th time it actually took, and I was able to get it working. Don't know how it started working again, just so glad it is.

Update: after that scare, I was able to finish the rooting process

So, if that hadn't worked you were out of luck. I can't ADB to work either (so I can't do the SD card route). I guess I'll take the plunge. Let me add something, I can't get ADB to work so I can't add any google apps to the NC after the SD card nookie boot.

soreal

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
nookchains.png

Pre-rooting steps:

The first recommended step to take is to install the 1.01 official Nook software update (if your Nook is still on version 1.0 - see above for determining version). The following steps will get the update on your device before rooting:

DON'T PUT THE SD CARD IN YOUR NOOKCOLOR YET.

-Get the update
- On a computer, download the sideload_update.zip from the BN web site.

Nook screen while re-flashing
-Restore the /system directory to factory default
-To wipe the system partition on the NC you need to force your reboot counter to hit 8:
-The easiest way to reset your Nook to factory defaults is to power off the nook, and then interrupt the boot process by holding down the power button*EIGHT TIMES*(interrupt the device from booting up 8x)

Note: IMPORTANT: Make sure the battery is charged enough to make it through the procedure, or do this with the device plugged in. If power is lost while it's flashing the ROM, the device could be permanently disabled.

** Note that the above 8x interrupt procedure will also be your
method of restoring to factory defaults AT ANY TIME, should anything ever goes wrong **

Install the update

Register the newly-restored NC (connect to wifi, register with B&N)

Reboot

Plug in the USB cord

With the NC mounted as a USB drive on your desktop, copy the sideload_update.zip to the root of the nooks internal storage drive. (Since you don't have an uSD card in the NC at this point, you can't accidentally copy it there. :)

Turn off the NC (power off)

Turn it on

Press the power button for a moment to cause the NC to go to sleep.
Wait. The system will install the new update. It will look JUST like the image above*again.

** IF THIS STILL DOES NOT WORK (after having copied sideload_update.zip to the root of the nook's internal storage drive):
Install Adobe Digital Editions on your PC and activate your account;
Connect your NC to the computer while ADE is open;
ADE detects the nook and asks to activate it. Do so;
Disconnect your NC and wait about 1 minute. It will automagically reboot and patch itself. **

READY TO ROOT
apps . . .

I tried to interrupt the reboot 8 times and it isn't restoring to factory. Can't I just erase and deregister the device and get the same result?

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I tried to interrupt the reboot 8 times and it isn't restoring to factory. Can't I just erase and deregister the device and get the same result?

Unfortunately erasing and deregistering doesn't set the system partition back to the stock setup. So if you're rooted, and you erase and deregister, you'd still be rooted.

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

Did you install clockwork recovery? If not, I can't imagined why the 8x interrupt wouldn't work.

The menu option to restore to factory only wipes data, not system. If you're sure the 8x isn't working, I'd say refer to the stickied restore nook thread and start over.

soreal

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Did you install clockwork recovery? If not, I can't imagined why the 8x interrupt wouldn't work.

The menu option to restore to factory only wipes data, not system. If you're sure the 8x isn't working, I'd say refer to the stickied restore nook thread and start over.

I didn't know I needed to install clockwork recovery. It did reflash and install the update but all of my information was still on there and it didn't give me the option to register.

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I didn't know I needed to install clockwork recovery. It did reflash and install the update but all of my information was still on there and it didn't give me the option to register.

Oh, okay. In that case, now you want to do the factory reset from the nook menu (under about your nook I think). If it doesn't gives you the option to register after that, read the fix in the stock ROM work-arounds thread.

naillady_1#AC

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone found a calendar app that will sync with gmail, on the Nook? Also has anyone been able to get Adobe Player 10.1 to work? Looking for any suggestions.....Thanks!

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone found a calendar app that will sync with gmail, on the Nook? Also has anyone been able to get Adobe Player 10.1 to work? Looking for any suggestions.....Thanks!

Not sure about the calendar, but flash isn't going to work on the stock ROM. It works with some issues on nookie, and will likely be cleared up in a future update.

Reactions: naillady_1#AC

soreal

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Oh, okay. In that case, now you want to do the factory reset from the nook menu (under about your nook I think). If it doesn't gives you the option to register after that, read the fix in the stock ROM work-arounds thread.

I got it figured out, thanks!!! In your opinion, do you prefer the nookcolor rooted or use nookie froyo?

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I got it figured out, thanks!!! In your opinion, do you prefer the nookcolor rooted or use nookie froyo?

I much prefer nookie. It's stock Android vs. an eReader's ROM, also Froyo vs. Eclair. The biggest draw against Nookie right now is that audio files, Pandora, & YouTube app aren't playing properly, so it'll depend if you can go without those until it's updated with a fix. Nookie runs pretty well off of a fast SD, but it runs extremely well from internal memory.

Instructions for all are in our stickies.

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Just rooted and now I can't get the NC to connect to my wireless router. Any ideas why not???

I've never heard of that - rooting shouldn't affect that at all. .... Maybe a coincidence and your router is having problems? Incorrect password? Reboot and restart router?

LR7

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
^All better now. But it seems the ROM is buggy. I can't get some of the books downloaded from BN to show up???

Also, can I run a custom launcher (LAuncher Pro, etc.) with the stock ROM?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699