Is there anything I can replace softkey with?

tino

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
OK, just got a NC yesterday and played with SD booted Nookie Froyo a for bit.

With all due respect, Softkey has the most inconsistant UI I have ever seen for an android app. And the setting is just equally confusing. Plus, it stop working and gave me "softkey not able to gain root" error message for whatever reason.

What I want is this: single click on "n" for back, double click for home, maybe long press for menu or I can bind menu key to a different hard key like volume or power buttons. I have never used search in my other Android phones and I don't need it.

I apologize if this is a nood question and appricate your option. :)

Pudmunkie

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everything you just said. I'd even give up some screen real estate for a honeycomb style bar at the bottom.

I plan on using HC once full production and a more stable SD boot are available... ill just deal with softkeys until then

EricWiz

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have been playing with HC V4 now for a few days and I love it! it is a giant step up from Froyo imho but it is still only a dev release. But, the navigation and task bar stuff just feels intuative to me.

lehons

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
With regards to consistency of UI, I find Button Saviour infinitely better than softkey.
It puts a tiny little button on the right side of your screen which is similar to Softkey's but smaller, less intrusive, and it works every time I try to hit it, without fail.
Unfortunately, you can't really move the navigation bar it opens, and it doesn't auto-hide by default. Neither are perfect options, but I'm much happier with button savior.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Dude I Use ADW on my Nook with the bottom notification bar having the back and menu keys locked when in an app and the U button set as a home button im good... No need to use Softkey at all really

h_10

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Dude I Use ADW on my Nook with the bottom notification bar having the back and menu keys locked when in an app and the U button set as a home button im good... No need to use Softkey at all really

there are two bars. the stock bar and then the adw bar. are you saying you can designate back and menu keys on the adw bar? i see the back and menu bar in the stock bar but those options go away for some programs like the stock browser.

techienana

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I like Button Savior and was using it exclusively but then found that with the right settings, Softkeys was actually pretty good. I am using both Froyo and HC on sd cards and love the always-and-ever-present bar at the bottom of the screen in HC. I was wishing for something like that in Froyo so will be heading over to check out ADW Launcher. In the meantime, hiding the D-pad, changing the transparency of the button and the service panel, changing the order of the keys on the service panel and using the latest upgraded software for Softkeys has made it a good enough experience for me to not even install Button Savior.

jedipunk

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I remapped my volume keys. Up is menu and down is back. Love it (although I wished there was an easy way to adjust volume, now)

I used button savior for a while and it worked well until one day it didn't. The menu key stopped working.

HBG#CB

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I remapped my volume keys. Up is menu and down is back. Love it (although I wished there was an easy way to adjust volume, now)

I used button savior for a while and it worked well until one day it didn't. The menu key stopped working.

Try AudioManager Widget in the market for your volume