Nexus 5: My battery is messed up and runs out absurdly fast (30 minutes???)

funz

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 5 has randomly been working up recently. Firstly, the battery display seems to be incorrect. It could be at 10% when I plug it in, and then display 100% after 5 minutes or so! Secondly, the entire phone completely dies without warning at random times, not coming back on until I charge it. This could be when the battery displays > 50%, and usually is.
The phone turns off after 20 minutes or so even if I've charged it for 9 hours straight!
I am currently running on Android 5.0 Lollipop. Anybody got any idea why this could be happening, and how I could go about fixing it?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Offhand, I'd say the battery is either failing, or there's a loose connection somewhere.

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

funz

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

Screenshot_2014-12-10-21-34-24.jpg
Screenshot_2014-12-10-21-34-17.jpg
It definitely seems like a fault in the battery, or a connection as you said.
The problem has actually got significantly worse since I posted this thread, the phone will now turn off after 5-20 minutes of myself unplugging it. If I try and turn it back on, it will regularly just turn off instantly, but I could later in the day turn it on again after no charge, and have it easily stay on for another ten minutes or so, the whole time displaying ~ 90%!

The screenshots I attached show battery usage, but the ~40% is displays is after about 20 seconds of me plugging it in after it "dying"!
There is clearly something wrong with the battery itself.

As for letting it drain, that's a no go! The phone will display upwards of 80%, and then turn off undoubtedly, refusing to come back on at most times.
May I also say that when turning off, it does not display the usual "shutting down" screen, it simply blacks out instantly

Any help is appreciated!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress