Non pixel pure google

Dustin Adler1

Nov 8, 2020
Visit site
I'm eligible for an upgrade through Sprint / T-Mobile. I currently have the Pixel 4 XL. I'm not sure what phone I should get because I don't like the Pixel 5 phone itself, but I love the pure Google experience.

The things that are most important to me are the following in no order:

Large screen
Battery life
Pure google
Loud speakers

I could care less about the camera, for me all the smartphone cameras have been good enough for the last 5 years.

I was originally deciding to go with the OnePlus 8T which from what I understand is very close to pure Google. Then I started thinking about going with the note 20 ultra and somehow pixelizing it, but without having an unlocked bootloader that might be a problem. I have no use for the S pen, but I figured if I'm going to go Samsung route I may as well get the best.

Do any of you have any recommendations or thoughts?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm eligible for an upgrade through Sprint / T-Mobile. I currently have the Pixel 4 XL. I'm not sure what phone I should get because I don't like the Pixel 5 phone itself, but I love the pure Google experience.

The things that are most important to me are the following in no order:

Large screen
Battery life
Pure google
Loud speakers

I could care less about the camera, for me all the smartphone cameras have been good enough for the last 5 years.

I was originally deciding to go with the OnePlus 8T which from what I understand is very close to pure Google. Then I started thinking about going with the note 20 ultra and somehow pixelizing it, but without having an unlocked bootloader that might be a problem. I have no use for the S pen, but I figured if I'm going to go Samsung route I may as well get the best.

Do any of you have any recommendations or thoughts?
I was suggesting Galaxy S20FE, but it won't be pure Google. I mean sure you could put the pixel launcher on it, but as far as software updates, I still don't know how timely Samsung is for their Android updates... You're on the right track with the OnePlus 8T though. I mean between one plus, and Samsung, I would suggest the one plus one. You will get more timely updates, and it's more near stock Google than Samsung is. I really hope this helps you out a little bit...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nokia 8.3, maybe? But that only has a mono speaker.

I know there's a separate thread about the Pixel 5 speakers, but in my limited experience (I just got one for my wife), the main speakers are plenty loud -- it's just that the top speaker is definitely not as loud as the bottom one, so stereo sound doesn't seem balanced.

Dustin Adler1

Nov 8, 2020
Visit site
Nokia 8.3, maybe? But that only has a mono speaker.

I know there's a separate thread about the Pixel 5 speakers, but in my limited experience (I just got one for my wife), the main speakers are plenty loud -- it's just that the top speaker is definitely not as loud as the bottom one, so stereo sound doesn't seem balanced.

A guy I work with has an S10 plus, and he can listen to the same thing that I am, and his is so much louder than mine on my Pixel 4 XL. Even my call volume I can barely hear somebody on the other end. I used his phone to make a call the other day and I was amazed at how loud it was. I don't know if my phone is just a old and dirty or what. And I don't know if the Pixel 5 would be loud enough. however there's so many more things I don't like about the Pixel 5. For starters the battery, the screen size, the underpowered processor, the lack of 120Hz screen.

Dustin Adler1

Nov 8, 2020
Visit site
I was suggesting Galaxy S20FE, but it won't be pure Google. I mean sure you could put the pixel launcher on it, but as far as software updates, I still don't know how timely Samsung is for their Android updates... You're on the right track with the OnePlus 8T though. I mean between one plus, and Samsung, I would suggest the one plus one. You will get more timely updates, and it's more near stock Google than Samsung is. I really hope this helps you out a little bit...

The FE seems like a nice phone, but if I was going to go Samsung route, I'd go with one of more of their premium phones.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The FE seems like a nice phone, but if I was going to go Samsung route, I'd go with one of more of their premium phones.
Okay, cool, gotcha. That makes sense. I mean I'd suggest the OnePlus 8 pro. Near stock Google experience. And all of the other features that you're looking for overall. I mean unfortunately, there aren't many other choices out there for a near stock Google experience... And with OnePlus, you'll get most of the software updates pretty timely....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Obviously this is all conjecture at this point, but there's increasing speculation that one of the next Pixels next year might be more formidable spec-wise, using a rumored CPU developed in-house at Google. So you might consider what you get now as a temporary bridge ...

Dustin Adler1

Nov 8, 2020
Visit site
Okay, cool, gotcha. That makes sense. I mean I'd suggest the OnePlus 8 pro. Near stock Google experience. And all of the other features that you're looking for overall. I mean unfortunately, there aren't many other choices out there for a near stock Google experience... And with OnePlus, you'll get most of the software updates pretty timely....

I can't get the pro through Sprint they only offer the 8t. But I feel like the 8t is still pretty nice.

Dustin Adler1

Nov 8, 2020
Visit site
Obviously this is all conjecture at this point, but there's increasing speculation that one of the next Pixels next year might be more formidable spec-wise, using a rumored CPU developed in-house at Google. So you might consider what you get now as a temporary bridge ...

I get a new phone every 12 months , so if the pixel lineup ends up being what I'm looking for, I'll gladly switch back.

May 30, 2013
Visit site
A guy I work with has an S10 plus, and he can listen to the same thing that I am, and his is so much louder than mine on my Pixel 4 XL. Even my call volume I can barely hear somebody on the other end. I used his phone to make a call the other day and I was amazed at how loud it was. I don't know if my phone is just a old and dirty or what. And I don't know if the Pixel 5 would be loud enough. however there's so many more things I don't like about the Pixel 5. For starters the battery, the screen size, the underpowered processor, the lack of 120Hz screen.
That's interesting. I can't address those phones specifically, but I did have a couple of Samsung phones (an S4 and a Note 5 - both flagship phones in their day), which one of the things I always hated about them was how quiet they were with the volume turned all the way up. I've got a Pixel 3 now and it has so much stronger sound than either of my Samsung phones had.

mcdonsco

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Based on your primaries one of which you eluded to not being *that* big of a deal (pure Google experience, but open to the Note20 Ultra) I'd suggest the Note10+. You can get it for a lot cheaper than the N20U, and it doesn't have a domino glued to the back like the N20U does. The battery life is insanely good, I have it and the Pixel 5 and just sold a P4XL and it's battery life is FAR better than those (and even better than the N20U which I had for a couple weeks before deciding to send it back)...I can easily get 8+ hours SOT with 20%+ left in the tank. Huge screen, check, loud speakers, check. Only downside is no 90/120hz screen and the screen is curved. I rarely use the s pen myself, I just prefer the boxier and wider aspect ratio of the Notes to the S series.

Also, ignore those saying Sammy doesn't update their phones enough, they obviously haven't used them recently. My Note 10+ has gotten every monthly update the day of or BEFORE Pixels do.

Anyway, you can get them new for around $800, sometimes less.

8T however is also a pretty solid choice, I just wouldn't go that route for lack of wireless charging.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87