Android phones with a removable battery?

greg9840

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
I am one of those people that can't live without a removable battery. My Galaxy S5 is having a screen problem that is getting worse and I need a new phone soon. I was deeply saddened to learn the LG V30 is not going to have a removable battery. It seems like all the newer models coming out with removable batteries are budget phones like the MOTO G5. I am looking for a high-end phone with an excellent camera and a removable battery. Is the LG V20 my only choice? Are there any high-end phones with removable batteries in the pipeline that will be out within the next few months?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
To my knowledge there are no more flagship phones with removable batteries. They've all gone to a sealed design, most having water resistance and wireless charging built in.

greg9840

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
Actually, I think the LG V20 is a bit too big for me. The LG G5 has a removable battery and apparently has the same chip and RAM specs (Snapdragon 820 and 4 GB RAM) as the V20, but it's smaller, more comparable in size to my Galaxy S5. So the G5 may be my best option. But since the G5 has been on the market for almost 1 1/2 years, I'm wondering if there is a mid-level phone that very recently came out that has similar specs to the G5 since, by today's standards, the G5 would be considered a mid-level phone despite the fact it was a flagship phone when it came out. I checked the Qualcomm website and no phones with Snapdragon 820 or newer appear to have removable batteries except for the V20 and G5. But there are other chip manufacturers so I am wondering, are there any other options? If not, I guess I will get the G5.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Actually, I think the LG V20 is a bit too big for me. The LG G5 has a removable battery and apparently has the same chip and RAM specs (Snapdragon 820 and 4 GB RAM) as the V20, but it's smaller, more comparable in size to my Galaxy S5. So the G5 may be my best option. But since the G5 has been on the market for almost 1 1/2 years, I'm wondering if there is a mid-level phone that very recently came out that has similar specs to the G5 since, by today's standards, the G5 would be considered a mid-level phone despite the fact it was a flagship phone when it came out. I checked the Qualcomm website and no phones with Snapdragon 820 or newer appear to have removable batteries except for the V20 and G5. But there are other chip manufacturers so I am wondering, are there any other options? If not, I guess I will get the G5.
Even mid range phones nowadays are coming out with sealed batteries.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's only going to be a matter of time before the removable battery is gone. I am going to guess by the end of 2018, actually.

The V20 is probably your only option at this point.

greg9840

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
I believe the Motorola E4 Plus does not have a removable battery. The Motorola G5 does have a removable battery, but it's a budget phone with a slow processing chip, I think. How do I compare the performance specs, camera performance, etc. of the Motorola G5 versus the LG G5?

greg9840

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
So I ended up getting an LG G5. It was really cheap and I like it a lot. It has the same chip and RAM as the Galaxy S7, so it's nice and fast. Way snappier than my old Galaxy S5. The only thing I don't like about it is the fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone. I don't like not having a home button on the front. Maybe I will get used to it someday. Most important is the battery is removable so I can swap it out whenever I want.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
So I ended up getting an LG G5. It was really cheap and I like it a lot. It has the same chip and RAM as the Galaxy S7, so it's nice and fast. Way snappier than my old Galaxy S5. The only thing I don't like about it is the fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone. I don't like not having a home button on the front. Maybe I will get used to it someday. Most important is the battery is removable so I can swap it out whenever I want.

Once you get used to the FPS on the back center, you will hate it if you need to press the sensor in the front. I love it on the LG phones and also on my Pixel (Honor 8). Feels more natural as I pull the device out of the pocket, the finger is already in the correct location and I can go straight to the home screen.

Let us know how you like the G5.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Glad you are enjoying your G5! That was a pretty good phone. Snappy and innovative, IMO.

greg9840

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
I should add that I bought the LG G5 directly from Sprint for only $145 (brand new, not refurbished), so it has to be one of the best, if not the best, values for a smartphone anywhere. What other high end smartphone can you get for only $145? It was actually cheaper than some weaker phones Sprint was selling.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I should add that I bought the LG G5 directly from Sprint for only $145 (brand new, not refurbished), so it has to be one of the best, if not the best, values for a smartphone anywhere. What other high end smartphone can you get for only $145? It was actually cheaper than some weaker phones Sprint was selling.

Whoah, what an amazing deal! Good for you! :)

Gris Som Yap

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

Just like you, I need a removable smartphone, finally settled with LG V20. Since then, LG stopped making removable flagship phone, I am thinking moving to Huawei in future, alas, no choice. Since LG and Huawei , both are sealed phone, but Huawei has better Leica camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa