Windows 10 Mobile refugee looking for a new premium phone

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Now that W10M is dead, I am ready to ditch my 950XL and go all-in with Android. Right now I'm split between Pixel 2 XL, V30 and S8+.

Played around with Pixel 2 XL and wasn't impressed (especially for that price). Played with V30, was impressed but worried about updates and concerns about the bright spots on the screen in the dark. Also impressed with S8+, but it's the oldest of the three and only has one camera on the back.

The only thing stopping me from eliminating Pixel 2XL from the list is the fact that it's pure Android.

What would be the best device of the three for a Windows refugee? Any fellow W10M people switching platforms?

Any help would be appreciated, especially if you had a chance to use all 3.

Awhispersecho

Trusted Member
Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
I just moved from a 950XL to the Note 8. Look, you're not going to love Android. Nothing is like Windows Phone/Mobile. As far as the UI, it feels like you are going back in time 10 years. As far as assistants, none of them do what Cortana does on Windows Phone and that includes Cortana on Android. Having said that. There is something freeing about having a new high end phone that has all the apps you could want. So after wanting a Surface Phone for years and absolutely hating Google which I still do, the Note 8 is the only phone that finally got me to switch. The screen, the pen, the multi app ability, the 6GB of RAM. I absolutely love the phone which makes Android just bearable enough for me not to go back. I use OneDrive, Outlook, Cortana, One Note and now Edge. The Widgets for things like Outlook, Windows Central, Android Central and other apps that support them are great. But man there are some things that just seem archaic compared to WP.

So, I guess what I am saying is that it takes a special phone to make Android bearable for someone who loved Windows Phone like I do and the Note 8 was the only phone that could do that for me. Every other phone just seemed like...well.. every other phone.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
O:) Get a SGs7 or S8 a Note8-From Samsung: Now next choice is an
iPhone 7 or iPhone X: After that try HTC+Waewei-Pixel Xl,.etc. But
let's heard what other members recommend: Welcome to AC-<

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi there! Welcome to the forums!

Well, based off of your choices alone and from an objective standpoint, since you are coming from another platform, I'd recommend stock Android to give you a fuller and easier transition (Pixel 2 XL).

However, subjectively-speaking, if you were not impressed with the Pixel, I recommend looking at the other two. Though the S8+ is a little older than the others, I still think it'd be a great first Android device for you. The V30 is awesome as well, but I still recommend the S8+.

Age can also work in your favour when choosing phones. The S8+ has been out for a while now and so any bugs or glitches on the phone have been/will fixed with (ensuing) updates; and Samsung delivers great customer service.

Let us know what you decide!

mhc48

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
I'm a long time Windows Phone user (going back to WinCE). I'm ditching my MS branded 950 for the Pixel 2 which I ordered last week. While waiting for the Pixel 2 to arrive I began playing with a friend's extra Android phone and a day or two ago bought and slipped my existing SIM card into a cheap AT&T ZTE Maven to try out and get used to Android. Based on that I now think that I prefer pure unadulterated Android over the other variants or even the MS Launcher which I originally expected to use.

I'll probably though install and keep using Outlook, OneNote, OneDrive and MS To Do, at least for a while until I try out and get used to the Google alternatives. Not yet sure what I will use instead of Groove.

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
OP, what is your budget like?
I used to be a die hard WP user, I currently use a Pixel.

My budget is $800, which is why I need a phone that could last me more than a year. Considering I am one of the suckers that paid $650 for 950XL, I don't want another brick for a price of a high end device.
S8+ and V30 are easier on a wallet compared to Pixel 2XL.

fpena911

Oct 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm a former Lumia 950 user and just picked up an LG V30 yesterday.

I'm missing my live tiles but in terms of capability, features, and quality I'm pretty impressed by this device. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them it'll just have to be a personal preference. I liked the feel of the LG which is what drove me to it.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
My budget is $800, which is why I need a phone that could last me more than a year. Considering I am one of the suckers that paid $650 for 950XL, I don't want another brick for a price of a high end device.
S8+ and V30 are easier on a wallet compared to Pixel 2XL.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the S8+ or the LG V30.
Good luck.

rasputin01

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I keep hoping Nokia 9 will be released soon, and that it has the headphone jack and expandable memory. I really like the V30 but the quality of the pictures is putting me off a bit.
I saw a reference to a Nokia 10 yesterday - has to be a spoof - it kind of reminded me of what the Surface Phone was supposed to look like.

cnashx

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I went from Windows mobile (950 XL and elite x3) to iPhone then to the Essential PH-1. Happy with my decision to go with the essential.

kbagrows

Nov 5, 2017
Visit site
A few weeks ago I went from my 950XL to an LG V20 - yes, last year's model. I have been pleasantly surprised at how much I love it. I'm running Microsoft launcher with almost all of the MS apps, except for Cortana. I really loved Cortona on the 950XL, but Google's assistant is not bad, just different. Still getting used to it.

A great experience with the other MS apps, including Onedrive - it's backing up my photos automatically on Wifi, just like before.

I absolutely loved Groove on my 950XL, and have been surprised at how much I like Spotify on Android. The WM Spotify app was hot garbage.

Frankly, I'm really enjoying the new phone. But... (of course there's a rub) the LG apps/bloatware on the V20 are plentiful. There are a lot of apps that you MUST use, like contacts, etc. Of course, mail and contacts aren't as good as WM. At first I tried to use Outlook, but it was mirroring the built in LG apps, and was a bit of a mess. I finally deleted Outlook and have been sing the LG contacts/email apps synced with my work Exchange account, gmail account, and hotmail. And, frankly, it seems to be working really well.

Sorry for the long winded response. I really like the V20, but there are a lot of LG apps, like the V30. I would caution you to think about that when making your decision.

Good Luck! As much as we all loved our live tiles and calendar/email integration, I think Nougat is more fluid that WM10, which for me, never worked as well as WM8.1. In summary, I've surprisingly, really enjoyed the switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

cnashx

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
When I first switched from w10m to iOS I kept all the Microsoft apps and used them, and when I switched to this phone essential I also placed every Microsoft app and used them. After a few weeks though I have switched to the Google alternatives for all of them except for OneDrive. And it's working pretty well so far.