Why is my chromebook only beeping when i am trying to press enter to turn off OS verification?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello
Im trying to get Linux on my chromebook, and one of the main steps is to go into Developer mode

I do all the steps, and now I'm at the part where I'm ready to press enter and wipe it, and having it relaunch into Dev. Mode.

But it doesn't do anything when I press enter. It only makes a single, loud beep. I tried waiting for a while, but nothing happened. What could be causing this?

(My built-in keyboard's middle row of keys aren't working after a water spill, so I'm using a USB keyboard for most things. Does it just require me to only press it on the built in keyboard?)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you certain that the keyboard is the only hing that was damaged during the spill? Have you had it checked out?

I'm not sure which method you're using, but if you're doing the procedure at https://itsfoss.com/install-linux-chromebook/ you should be at the point at which you press Ctrl-D to boot to developer mode. Pressing Enter at that point is saying (this key isn't used for anything at this point".

thomas_angela

Jun 7, 2023
Visit site
I am not expert, however I think, there could be a few reasons why pressing enter doesn't seem to work. Here are a few things you can try:

1. Built-in Keyboard: Chromebooks typically require you to press a physical key combination on the built-in keyboard to enter Developer mode. Since you mentioned that your built-in keyboard's middle row of keys isn't working due to a water spill, it's possible that the specific key required to trigger Developer mode is affected. In this case, try using an external USB keyboard to see if it allows you to enter Developer mode successfully.
  2. USB Keyboard Compatibility: While most USB keyboards should work fine with Chromebooks, it's worth ensuring that the USB keyboard you're using is compatible. Try connecting a different USB keyboard to your Chromebook and see if it helps in triggering the Developer mode.
  3. Power-related Issue: Sometimes, issues with power can interfere with the boot process and prevent you from entering Developer mode. Make sure your Chromebook is fully charged or connected to a power source while attempting to enter Developer mode.
  4. Resetting Chromebook: If none of the above steps work, you can try performing a powerwash or a factory reset on your Chromebook. This process will wipe all data on your device and revert it to its original state. After the reset, you can try entering Developer mode again following the proper instructions. Please let me know, if any of these things work for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez