When will the Bionic get the ICS Update?

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I'd expect it late Winter at the shortest. I'm going to shoot for early spring hopefully. I'm not really worried about it right now...I just want the phone in general. And it runs amazingly on Gingerbread already, so there's no need to rush.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
ICS won't even ship on a phone (a Nexus build) until end of Nov to Dec. Motorola has to get it working with Bionic and Blur, test it and then have Verizon test it and approve it. If the DHD is OMAP and ICS, that will be a good sign - we are probably looking at Feb - March for Bionic. If not then March - April. Also, keep an eye out for when Google releases the ICS SDK, it will still be a wait after that.

Reactions: jroc and hvalergir

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
ICS won't even ship on a phone (a Nexus build) until end of Nov to Dec. Motorola has to get it working with Bionic and Blur, test it and then have Verizon test it and approve it. If the DHD is OMAP and ICS, that will be a good sign - we are probably looking at Feb - March for Bionic. If not then March - April. Also, keep an eye out for when Google releases the ICS SDK, it will still be a wait after that.

And with the SDK if we have an unlocked bootloader by then, do you suppose we'll see custom ROMs running ICS?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Now that Google bought up Motorola we should be getting updates as quick as Nexus does. Along as Verizon plays along.

I feel like I should just write a macro saying how Google hasn't bought Moto yet and that they've agreed to terms but the sale wont be finalized until late this year at the earliest and its unlikely that the purchase will have any affect at all on the Bionic.
It would be so much easier.

Jeff43

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I feel like I should just write a macro saying how Google hasn't bought Moto yet and that they've agreed to terms but the sale wont be finalized until late this year at the earliest and its unlikely that the purchase will have any affect at all on the Bionic.
It would be so much easier.
Yes I know nothing has been finalized yet, the Regulatory scrutiny will probably push this into Q1 '12. But it's just a formality.

It's not effecting the Bionic this I know, but it will effect how quickly future Google updates will be pushed out.

Last edited:

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
when do you guys think the first case will come out?

when do you think the SGP screen protector will be released?

when do you think root will be attained?

when do you think the BL will be unlocked?

when do think????????? who cares!!!!!!!

It will be here when it be here!!!!!

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
when do you guys think the first case will come out?

when do you think the SGP screen protector will be released?

when do you think root will be attained?

when do you think the BL will be unlocked?

when do think????????? who cares!!!!!!!

It will be here when it be here!!!!!

Haha... i got to the 3rd line and i'm all like... "jeezus... root already exists, whats wrong with this a-hole" and then I got to lines 5/6 and realized you were giving people 'expletive for crap' :) good stuff. Guess i'm too "on-edge" waiting for 9am tomorrow.

EDIT: Sorry about that Mods, i tend to forget about profanity sometimes :)

Last edited:

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
And with the SDK if we have an unlocked bootloader by then, do you suppose we'll see custom ROMs running ICS?
Unless Motorola unlocks the Bootloader it may not get unlocked, OMAP is very secure. But, although that would mean no custom kernels, we will still see custom ROM's - it just takes time. Right now my biggest concern is the rumors of the root exploit being patched. I wanted to wait for the SBF to root but I don't know now. I want it rooted but I can live with it not rooted for a bit and I would rather not take chances with a brand new $600.00 phone.(It's not that risky, but I would feel better having a backup recovery).

This is going to be a very popular phone for the community, despite the naysayers, and we know of a lot of good people who are going to be working on The Bionic, We probably just need to relax a little and enjoy our phones and see how it all unfolds. :)