Opted out of Beta - when can I safely download a new UPDATE

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would like to get back on the official release of Android. BUT I do not want my device wiped in the process. I opted out of the beta sometime last month.

When I do to system update check I get "Your device needs to restart to complete the update." But I am concerned this will wipe the device.

Any info will be appreciated.

Reactions: mustang7757

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I would like to get back on the official release of Android. BUT I do not want my device wiped in the process. I opted out of the beta sometime last month.

When I do to system update check I get "Your device needs to restart to complete the update." But I am concerned this will wipe the device.

You should never really install the beta's if the potential of wiping your device isn't acceptable. In any case, it depends on what beta exactly you were on:

First, make sure you are running a beta version of Android. View devices to find the device you want to remove and click Opt out. Your device will receive an update within 24 hours that will wipe all user data and install the latest stable public version of Android.

Applying the update to the latest stable public release requires wiping all locally saved data on your device. You may also encounter issues restoring a backup. You have the option to not install this update. If you choose not to install the update to the latest public build, and your device remains unenrolled from the program, you will automatically receive the next stable release update of the version you’re beta testing when it becomes available to the public. It may take up to 3-4 months to receive the update depending on when during the Beta program cycle you opted out. If you apply the final public release of the beta version you are testing, your device will not get wiped.

Note
: During the beta program’s release cycle, there will be stable releases to the public (the official platform release followed by Quarterly Platform Releases (QPRs)). When you apply the stable release update for the version you’re beta testing, you can opt out without a data wipe for a limited time until you apply the next beta update.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I didn't expect you to get into this mess lol
Which beta you on ? Most likely going to wipe .

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If anyone recalls....

I was in Greece when Android 14 released. Rather than tempting fate (foolish, now) I passed on the update while overseas and roaming figuring I would download when I got home.

Well, I was never offered it again. I checked and checked and... even contacted Google. Nothing was available. Then someone suggested joining the beta and getting Android 14 that way. Hence this predicament.

Here's what shows:

Screenshot_20240311-104552.png

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If anyone recalls....

I was in Greece when Android 14 released. Rather than tempting fate (foolish, now) I passed on the update while overseas and roaming figuring I would download when I got home.

Well, I was never offered it again. I checked and checked and... even contacted Google. Nothing was available. Then someone suggested joining the beta and getting Android 14 that way. Hence this predicament.

Here's what shows:

View attachment 360797
Yeah I think I remember you mentioning that, is the beta giving issues?

Reactions: FF22

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think I remember you mentioning that, is the beta giving issues?
It did when the Fold would not react when it was UNfolded. The screen remained black and took repeated POUNDINGS to awaken. They did fix it but it was at that point I decided I would rather revert back to "normal" glitches rather than the potential beta glitches.

So I opted out of beta. Maybe that was hasty, particularly, if a WIPE is the only way back. But it was suggested that opting out at the RIGHT TIME would allow me to get back in sync with the regular release and avoid a WIPE.

So, let me get this straight - a WIPE will remove all data - my thousands of photos and tons of music tracks. And documents and and and.... Besides losing my icon placements and pages!!!!!!!!!!! THAT is what I would like to avoid.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It did when the Fold would not react when it was UNfolded. The screen remained black and took repeated POUNDINGS to awaken. They did fix it but it was at that point I decided I would rather revert back to "normal" glitches rather than the potential beta glitches.

So I opted out of beta. Maybe that was hasty, particularly, if a WIPE is the only way back. But it was suggested that opting out at the RIGHT TIME would allow me to get back in sync with the regular release and avoid a WIPE.

So, let me get this straight - a WIPE will remove all data - my thousands of photos and tons of music tracks. And documents and and and.... Besides losing my icon placements and pages!!!!!!!!!!! THAT is what I would like to avoid.
Yeah wipe means factory reset and hopefully Google back up will put most back , if I were you I would enroll and update the beta see if things were fixed and stay on it now

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site

Are you not backing anything up to Google Photos, Docs, Drive? Icons and pages will come back as long as you have a backup and don't set up as new.

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
You're on this beta - https://www.androidcentral.com/apps-software/android-14-qpr2-beta-3-1.... your time to pull out of the beta would be the Pixel drop in March without wiping. But I dunno if you can hop back into the beta since it seems you may already have a device wiping update downloaded.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You're on this beta - https://www.androidcentral.com/apps-software/android-14-qpr2-beta-3-1.... your time to pull out of the beta would be the Pixel drop in March without wiping. But I dunno if you can hop back into the beta since it seems you may already have a device wiping update downloaded.
Yeah I personally think he should update the beta it can't get worse and fixes are always next update away but he's gotta decide but the back up should bring everything back except certain settings like customized app notifications sound and such.