5.5.893 Update...On Rooted Bionic???

rfuller783

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to Android (got rid of my iPhone!)...and I got the Bionic last week and have it rooted following droidbionicroot.com instructions. Just saw an article on an OTA update, 5.5.893, being released soon.

Will I get notified on my phone when available, or since it is rooted will I not be notified, or can I not install this, period?

I'm new to the whole "rooting" of a phone. I'm used to jailbreaking and the "don't update iOS when it comes out". How does it work for Android updates? Do I not install or...?

Thanks!

dmevis

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
My bionic is also Rooted, and I just received the notification on my phone of the update. I have not taken the update yet, as I want to learn how to "keep" Root after the update.

rfuller783

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to Android...I don't know what any of that is 2defmouze, I'm sorry.

.886 stock root bloat? flash to stock? All I know is I took it out of the box, rooted following droidbionicroot.com.

I dont see instructions for applying foreverroot...

Jbairdjr

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I installed the update on my rooted Bionic with no problems.
But, now I cant get either method of rooting the Bionic to work.
Anyone else having this same problem?

rfuller783

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Spend some time reading through everything and I got it! Thanks 2defmouze. Backed up my apps, flashed it back, rooted, and did the forever root. Now I am just waiting for the update to come out. I know the update is available to download now from the leaked version, but I think I am going to wait. Maybe something better for tweaked. Thanks

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Because you didn't "foreverroot"... see the link I posted above

Spend some time reading through everything and I got it! Thanks 2defmouze. Backed up my apps, flashed it back, rooted, and did the forever root. Now I am just waiting for the update to come out. I know the update is available to download now from the leaked version, but I think I am going to wait. Maybe something better for tweaked. Thanks

Atta boy, lol... glad to hear it, a little patience and reading goes a long way :)

texsan

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Same problem here. I lost root access after the 5.5.893 update. I'm still scouring the forums looking for a solution that works.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It took a little messing around with my computer's password, but i used the released mac motorooter to factory restore my bionic. It hung on rooting, until I realized I had to recheck usb debugging and unknown sources after the reset. Rooted and forever rooted just fine, the phone took the update, and i'm still rooted! Worked great!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ccm435

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Can I do this before the update comes out, or should I wait till right b4 the update? Also I noticed on one of the links on how to add the forever root part that the last line only had 755 instead of 4755. Does someone know which one is correct. It also says to put two spaces on top of script and bottom. Does that mean at the end of the current text you hit "Return" twice and also after you type the new stuff in? Just want to make sure I do this correctly. Thank you for everyone's help.

-cm-

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Can I do this before the update comes out, or should I wait till right b4 the update? Also I noticed on one of the links on how to add the forever root part that the last line only had 755 instead of 4755. Does someone know which one is correct. It also says to put two spaces on top of script and bottom. Does that mean at the end of the current text you hit "Return" twice and also after you type the new stuff in? Just want to make sure I do this correctly. Thank you for everyone's help.

-cm-

The spaces aren't THAT important, just make sure there's at least one between the last line of the file and where you start adding the lines in. Also I'm 95% sure you want to follow the link I posted in which each line starts chmod 4755... however maybe one of these kind folks who just did it could confirm that? Its been quite a while since I had to go through it..

ccm435

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The spaces aren't THAT important, just make sure there's at least one between the last line of the file and where you start adding the lines in. Also I'm 95% sure you want to follow the link I posted in which each line starts chmod 4755... however maybe one of these kind folks who just did it could confirm that? Its been quite a while since I had to go through it..

Thank you for the fast reply. A couple more things I though of. I know I should unfreeze any bloat I have frozen, and reboot, but then should I also run that script through Root explorer or does it run/work on a reboot?

Thanks again.

Also yes if someone know whether the last line should have the number 4755 or just 755?

Thanks again.

-cm-

ccm435

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Any way to MAKE my phone get the OTA update? I keep checking and says no updates available...

I just went to Settings>About Phone>System Updates and it found the update today. It didn't find it until I checked today, and I've been checking since word of this hit. In fact I did the forever root thing, unfroze my stuff, and I am applying the update as I type this. Wish me luck that this thing stays rooted, just goes smooth all around. :)

Again thank you FORUMS for all your help!

-cm-

ccm435

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Wanted to say the prema-root and the latest Verizon update worked perfect. Update finished and I was still rooted. Shows correct update info in about phone. So a went away with freezing bloat and other clean up.

Thank you Android Central forums.

-cm-

rfuller783

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Everything is working! THANKS for the help! Did the forever root, finally got the OTA update and instaleld. Everything seems to be working great!

Now where is Ice Cream! haha

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana