DROID BIONIC Jelly Bean Update

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Consider yourself lucky. Several people are having so many problems that they've gone to VZW to get a replacement phone. And VZW is apparently granting them either a replacement RAZR or an early upgrade. This is NOT going to go well for the Moto/VZW relationship going forward. SIGH.

semour1969

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Consider yourself lucky. Several people are having so many problems that they've gone to VZW to get a replacement phone. And VZW is apparently granting them either a replacement RAZR or an early upgrade. This is NOT going to go well for the Moto/VZW relationship going forward. SIGH.

do you think i should call vzw and request a replacement phone,or stay with what i got, kinda worried about future updates now.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
do you think i should call vzw and request a replacement phone,or stay with what i got, kinda worried about future updates now.

ONLY if you're having problems that are considered major. Don't worry about future updates. Moto MUST support upgrading this build to the final JB version when the time comes. So if you can live with this build until that happens (figure a month to 6 weeks....my best guess but they are working on fast tracking this thing to completion), then there's no need to replace it. At the VERY least you'll be able to fastboot the FXZ when the final JB build is released. So no worries about future updates....it'll all work out there.

semour1969

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
ONLY if you're having problems that are considered major. Don't worry about future updates. Moto MUST support upgrading this build to the final JB version when the time comes. So if you can live with this build until that happens (figure a month to 6 weeks....my best guess but they are working on fast tracking this thing to completion), then there's no need to replace it. At the VERY least you'll be able to fastboot the FXZ when the final JB build is released. So no worries about future updates....it'll all work out there.

thanks for the advice:D

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Samurai:

Aside from the fact that this Moto screwup does show that they are working on an OMAP compatible version of JB (which portends well for Bionic owners), will the fast-track efforts to fix the RAZR situation help or hurt us? IOW, can they build off the RAZR work to get us ours that much quicker, or will there be a diversion of resources away from the Bionic development process, say beyond the March potential cutoff point?

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That's a really good question. I've been struggling with that myself trying to decide how this will play out. Here's the problem I have....the RAZR JB build, and assumably the D4 and Electrify 2 JB builds, as well, all use the same 3.0.8 ICS kernel that we have on the Bionic right now. Let me repeat that...their JB builds are built on top of an *ICS* kernel. That means there's a LOT of work to be done. There's been 2 more builds on the RAZR since the accidental release. There's been 1 more build for D4 and Electrify 2. There's been 0 builds for Bionic. Not even an engineering build. I'll be watching for it over the next couple weeks. I want to say that being on a unified build helps us, but, I can't make that claim. I just simply don't know. Speculation.....this will hurt us in the end as they focus all their attention on the RAZR and D4 releases for the moment. I hope I'm wrong.

Erievon

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
....the RAZR JB build, and assumably the D4 and Electrify 2 JB builds, as well, all use the same 3.0.8 ICS kernel that we have on the Bionic right now.

Interesting. If it's on our Kernel, wondering if Hash can pull the camera and bluetooth modules out of the half leak 4.1.2 for the Razr and make them work on the bionic for any of or JB roms. (CM10, CNA, etc...). Or maybe our bootloader/kernel being locked up means this won't help.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. If it's on our Kernel, wondering if Hash can pull the camera and bluetooth modules out of the half leak 4.1.2 for the Razr and make them work on the bionic for any of or JB roms. (CM10, CNA, etc...). Or maybe our bootloader/kernel being locked up means this won't help.

Good question. It's an interesting idea. I know the RAZR people were looking to do the same thing.

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
As for root, I'm gonna give you guys a heads up right now...

-Install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper
-Protect root
-Temp unroot
-Install update
-Restore root

Those steps should be put on a sticky note for you somewhere as we're going to have to do the same thing in order to retain root when and if we get our JB update.
OTA Rootkeeper seems also to need a bit of help with permissions once root is restored. In my case the issue is always raised by Titanium Backup, but it is also nice enough to offer me the opportunity to fix them automatically, right from the notification.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
OTA Rootkeeper seems also to need a bit of help with permissions once root is restored. In my case the issue is always raised by Titanium Backup, but it is also nice enough to offer me the opportunity to fix them automatically, right from the notification.

Very nice. There is a step I forgot because I don't use superuser.apk. *BEFORE* protecting root, and this is VITALLY important or it won't work, you *MUST* update the su binary to the latest version. If you do not, it won't restore properly and you'll lose root.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd throw an update out there. The Bionic retail build of JB went into testing today. It should be noted it's the EXACT same build number as the D4 and RAZR builds. Unified builds indeed. If all goes well, it's possible we'll see a soak for it in 6 to 8 weeks.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just thought I'd throw an update out there. The Bionic retail build of JB went into testing today. It should be noted it's the EXACT same build number as the D4 and RAZR builds. Unified builds indeed. If all goes well, it's possible we'll see a soak for it in 6 to 8 weeks.

Great news.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Indeed. Very good news. We WILL need to take protective measures to keep root, but, I have 2 methods that should protect us through the update.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm leery of taking any update without first checking user reviews. The last OTA update I took, it came in automatically and I didn't have a choice to decline or delay installation. Any idea if we can expect leaks ahead of time like with ICS to see how people like it, or how to delay the installation to make sure it's good before I take it? Obviously I can just disable data and wifi, but that's just impractical.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Awesome news, Samuri! Anecdotally, I haven't heard too many anguished cries from those who were recipients of the Christmas Eve miracle OTA, so I'm holding out hope that this could be an easier experience for us than the ICS experience was.

By the way, do we think JB will be less difficult on the hardware than ICS has been for many?

Now, need to head over to Moto's forums to make sure I'm signed up to be a soak tester!

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm signed up, as well. I have no idea how punishing it'll be on the hardware. They just literally created it today.

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Since they accidentally released the first RAZR JB build, and if it is supposed to be exactly the same as ours, and they are maybe speeding up the development of the RAZR build since they screwed up a couple weeks ago, does that mean it sped up the development of our build too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89