SWYPE or Swiftkey?

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Swype (both the beta version as well as the version that comes stock on the Bionic) for a while now. I was initially a very enthused user, but lately (particularly with the beta), I've become a bit less enamored of it. I thought the beta was supposed to be a lot better at determining context and making on the fly corrections. However, it routinely inserts "fir" when I intend "for". Inasmuch as "for" has to be one of the most used prepositions (or word, for that matter) in the English language, I have no idea why the Swype algorithm would ever think that I want to insert the name of a coniferous tree instead. I switched back from the beta to the stock version, but I get similar results. The main reason I went with the Swype beta was to get the Nuance voice engine for voice-to-text application. However, Google's voice engine (that I use in conjunction with stock Swype) seems to deliver similar, if not superior, results.

I haven't tried SwiftKey yet and am wondering if any of you have gotten better results there.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Swype (both the beta version as well as the version that comes stock on the Bionic) for a while now. I was initially a very enthused user, but lately (particularly with the beta), I've become a bit less enamored of it. I thought the beta was supposed to be a lot better at determining context and making on the fly corrections. However, it routinely inserts "fir" when I intend "for". Inasmuch as "for" has to be one of the most used prepositions (or word, for that matter) in the English language, I have no idea why the Swype algorithm would ever think that I want to insert the name of a coniferous tree instead. I switched back from the beta to the stock version, but I get similar results. The main reason I went with the Swype beta was to get the Nuance voice engine for voice-to-text application. However, Google's voice engine (that I use in conjunction with stock Swype) seems to deliver similar, if not superior, results.

I haven't tried SwiftKey yet and am wondering if any of you have gotten better results there.

Swiftkey and Flow are amazing... no comparison. You really have to give it a try.

finny1333

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Was a huge swype fan about 3 weeks ago I tried out SwiftKey which now has a swype-like feature n it blows swype away overall in my opinion

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Just installed. It works way awesome. The whole being able to type a whole sentence without needing to pick up my finger is pretty sweet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been a SwiftKey user for a while now but downloaded swype today as it debuted on the Play store. This was only out of enthusiasm as I have heard great things about swype from other android users. After using for about 15 minutes I have switched back to SwiftKey only because I don't want to go through the pain of having the keyboard learn my typing style and dictionary again.

This has nothing to do with swype's potential, only my laziness to give it more time.

I can safely say that SwiftKey is the best utility I have on my phone - works like a charm!

Sent from Tapatalk HD

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
In terms of pure function, I prefer Swype. I moved to Swift Key (for now) and found a lot of little things I don't like. It doesn't auto capitalize the letter "l" when used alone, has about the same rate of Swype/flow mistakes but have to now backspace to get other options and even then it's far less choices than Swype gives, auto spaces after symbols like "/" when most of the time it isn't needed and requires additional backspacing, apparently have to manually hit the shift key to capitalize when it doesn't start a sentence or isn't in the list of proper names, it too often auto spaces when I dip too low on the bottom row when only trying to make one word, impossible to flow out "too" without it making "to" and then backspacing to correct, and doesn't seem to like swiping over the apostrophe to force a conjunction (gets confused especially with your and you're).

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but suffice it to say it isn't near as efficient as Swype was IMHO. I am using it, though, because it works on the Bionic's stock browser. With the JB update, Swype was severely broken in that regard, to the point I couldn't use it without reverting to manual typing. It's still flawless with other apps and on Chrome, but I do my work in the stock browser. I'm kinda wondering if they did that on purpose to help push Chrome as a preferred browser, but that's the conspiracy theorist in me.

Oh, and the neon keyboard in Swift Key is cool.

eatsleeplaxsoccer

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar experience as Mooncatt

I like the Swype features and functionality way more (select all, copy and paste gestures are the best). I've been using it for years since beta on the first droid, it's been so cool.
but for some reason Swype has seemed to have gotten much slower. it can't keep up.
I just got a new S5 (active) and Swype is already too slow again to keep up, on a pretty fresh device.
So I've been trying out the google keyboard, swiftkey, and the samsung keyboard. which all have copycat swype-like typing. and they're all much faster than swype. functionality wise, swiftkey seems to be the next best, so i'm using that for now.

Letitbe

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Swype suffers from terrible lags and lacks the emoji and I am missing some nice design on the keyboard, Swiftkey is better in my opinion, but also lags sometimes and word prediction is not that good lately, I am using the Ginger keyboard at the moment and I must say that so far so good, did anyone else have tried that one?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniellewc