OEM extended battery getting hot and physically "expanding",

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
OEM extended battery for the Bionic.

Seems that continual use of the device as a GPS, streaming music, tethering, (cough) Ingress (/cough) causes the battery to get hot enough to "bubble":
IMG_20130609_170311_724.jpg

Both "panels" of the battery have expanded from extended temperature use and thus is no longer performing as an extended battery. The stock battery seems to be lasting longer now. The bottom of the battery is doing the same thing.

This makes the third one I've had since I've owned the device that has done this. Anyone else experiencing this?

homestead

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here - occurred following JB update. Soon battery would no longer hold a charge. Hard reset didn't help. Turned off gps, wifi, bluetooth, etc. Switched to different battery. Cleared cache. Especially bad using hotspot - so hot it shuts down on several occasions. Have had Bionic since its beginning and made good use of all its features, never finding it necessary to coddle it. Have run every update without issue, other than sometimes needing the hard reset. Not going to take a chance with a new battery since looking for a new phone. Had a fine run with the Bionic. Perhaps it's life has run out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here - occurred following JB update. Soon battery would no longer hold a charge. Hard reset didn't help. Turned off gps, wifi, bluetooth, etc. Switched to different battery. Cleared cache. Especially bad using hotspot - so hot it shuts down on several occasions. Have had Bionic since its beginning and made good use of all its features, never finding it necessary to coddle it. Have run every update without issue, other than sometimes needing the hard reset. Not going to take a chance with a new battery since looking for a new phone. Had a fine run with the Bionic. Perhaps it's life has run out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

I'm in the same exact boat with mine. Hoping my Bionic and my 2 batteries (both lasting about 3-4 hrs) will hold until I get my next phone.

epimeth

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
A similar thing happened to me, only with my stock battery... only it didn't just get "hot" - it got "practically scalding". I called VZW to complain and they sent me a new phone as I told them I was worried about power fluctuations and drive corruption - not to mention, well... the phone could have killed me if it had blown up! I also asked them about getting a replacement battery but the warrantee on the battery had already expired and there was nothing they could do. So I went to motorola live chat support and explained to them calmly that their battery tried to kill me. They asked me what I want them to do about it? I asked them if they are effing kidding me? This didn't seem to sink in, so I explained in really large capital letters that I expect them to send me a new effing battery. They were out of stock so they sent me an extended battery without telling me, but no extended battery cover. So I had to yell at them again and they sent me one as well. The new phone was overnighted, the new battery an extra 4 days or so, and then another 3 days for the cover. Total time spent with a new phone paranoid over wether or not it will explode at any second: 1 week.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
A similar thing happened to me, only with my stock battery... only it didn't just get "hot" - it got "practically scalding". I called VZW to complain and they sent me a new phone as I told them I was worried about power fluctuations and drive corruption - not to mention, well... the phone could have killed me if it had blown up! I also asked them about getting a replacement battery but the warrantee on the battery had already expired and there was nothing they could do. So I went to motorola live chat support and explained to them calmly that their battery tried to kill me. They asked me what I want them to do about it? I asked them if they are effing kidding me? This didn't seem to sink in, so I explained in really large capital letters that I expect them to send me a new effing battery. They were out of stock so they sent me an extended battery without telling me, but no extended battery cover. So I had to yell at them again and they sent me one as well. The new phone was overnighted, the new battery an extra 4 days or so, and then another 3 days for the cover. Total time spent with a new phone paranoid over wether or not it will explode at any second: 1 week.

Dramatic Chipmunk - YouTube