Charging the phone while powered off

cdmerrow

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello fellow "m" users.

On my old DINC, I could turn the power off on the phone, charge it, when the green light came on, turn the phone back on and voila, 100% charge. With the M (which I've only had less than a week), when I need a charge, I turn the phone off, plug it in, but then the phone turns back on (splash screen, etc). I turn it off, it turns back on . . . is there a way or a setting I should change that will charge the phone while it's off?

Thanks for your assistance.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I can't find it, but there is a setting that keeps screen always on/off when charging.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
@kmf, I believe the question is about the phone itself remaining powered off, while charging, as opposed to just the screen.
I had this same issue, Sunday. I had failed to charge my M, Saturday night. My only option where I was, was to use a usb cable and computer. The battery was very low, so I wanted to charge it powered off. Each time I plugged in the cable to the powered down M, it booted up. I thought this was a USB issue. I will have to try it with a wall charger to see what it does. What an odd "feature".

ETA: I just checked and with the M off, I plugged in the wall charger and the phone stayed off. Just the battery icon was shone.
I did not have access to the computer I used to charge the phone. It was just a powered up computer available to bum power from.
I wonder if I were able to access the computer I could have installed the driver, from the usual pop up and selected to charge only. I reckon that is the next experiment.

Last edited:

cdmerrow

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
@kmf, I believe the question is about the phone itself remaining powered off, while charging, as opposed to just the screen.
I had this same issue, Sunday. I had failed to charge my M, Saturday night. My only option where I was, was to use a usb cable and computer. The battery was very low, so I wanted to charge it powered off. Each time I plugged in the cable to the powered down M, it booted up. I thought this was a USB issue. I will have to try it with a wall charger to see what it does. What an odd "feature".

ETA: I just checked and with the M off, I plugged in the wall charger and the phone stayed off. Just the battery icon was shone.
I did not have access to the computer I used to charge the phone. It was just a powered up computer available to bum power from.
I wonder if I were able to access the computer I could have installed the driver, from the usual pop up and selected to charge only. I reckon that is the next experiment.

Your second scenario is what I'm trying to do. Powered off and just see the battery icon. Every time I power off then plug in, my phone turns back on, goes through the boot screen, etc. A setting I'm missing somewhere, perhaps?

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Your second scenario is what I'm trying to do. Powered off and just see the battery icon. Every time I power off then plug in, my phone turns back on, goes through the boot screen, etc. A setting I'm missing somewhere, perhaps?

If you are using the wall charger, I am at a loss.
Lets see if a more experienced member will chime in.

mikeymiz83

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
That's what I ended up doing and it works. I'm also using the New JB 4.1 update it came with which might also be an issue if it's an older version. But you need to plug the device in and then turn it off to charge.

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine stays off when I power down and then plug in. Same with all my Moto's including the X, Razr Maxx, and now the M. Perhaps you have a flawed device?