Lag post jelly bean update

Potent68

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
That didn't do it unfortunately. I really just want to return to ICS at this point. I can't believe they would release an update for the phone and then feel that all this lag was acceptable. ICS was SOOOOO smooth 110% of the time, that any lag on a supposedly improved release is not acceptable.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I still say try Nova Launcher. It makes scrolling around a lot smoother, and gives you a lot of customization options too. I've been happier with my phone since I installed it.

chadillac3

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I still say try Nova Launcher. It makes scrolling around a lot smoother, and gives you a lot of customization options too. I've been happier with my phone since I installed it.

Me too. Nova really makes this phone that much better. While I liked the circles app, the way I have it set up now is even better for me. I use the battery indicator app and that way I don't have to unlock my phone to see the battery percentage.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Me too. Nova really makes this phone that much better. While I liked the circles app, the way I have it set up now is even better for me. I use the battery indicator app and that way I don't have to unlock my phone to see the battery percentage.

To replace the moto quick settings, I'm using a Widgetsoid widget (similar to Power Toggles, but there are a couple things about it that work better for me), and I'm using the "Chrome Rings" clock from "One More Clock" which gives time/date/weather/battery in a layout similar to Circles. Someone on here pointed me to it. It's not quite as good a widget as Circles, but it does let you set different actions when you tap different corners and stuff, so you can set it to open alarms when you tap at the left side, open battery info when you tap the right side, and so on...it's not as cool though because the circles themselves don't contain specific touch spots, the areas of sensitivity are divided into square sections. Hard to explain. It's one of the more functional non-Circles widgets that I've found though.

Anyhow, Circles notwithstanding, the phone as a whole is better like this.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I had found this little bit of advice posted elsewhere and decided to give it a go. Seemed to make quite a difference....

Go to settings>apps>all
Scroll down to Circles and clear all data.
Back into apps, scroll down to homescreen, touch, clear data.
Then reboot the phone.

You will have to do your home screen setup back to the way you had it, but this seems to have removed the scrolling lag I was dealing with, as well as the Circles widget redrawing a lot.

pegleg#AC

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I was having similar problems with lag, and it all disappeared when I turned off all Smart Actions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Shuckster

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I installed Nova today and yeah, it's smoother with that launcher. That's interesting. One nice thing about that is, you can get rid of the google bar at the top of the screen (and actually use that space, not just hide it), which is cool because that bar is redundant with swipe-up-from-Home on this phone.

The downside of using the Nova Launcher is you can't use the Circles widget with it, which I've found to be a very nice way of accessing various things. I'll probably stick with Nova for a while and see how much I miss Circles. The weather portion is no loss, because I like the Google Now weather better - but the ability to tap the clock to access alarms and tap the battery to access battery usage was nice. I'm currently using Widgetsoid to provide quick settings and a time/battery widget, but you can only set the time to open the clock, not go directly to alarms, so it's an extra click. The battery portion does go directly to battery usage though.

I had major lag issues and gave nova launcher a try. Has stabilized my phone and things are working well. Thank you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Shuckster

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
To replace the moto quick settings, I'm using a Widgetsoid widget (similar to Power Toggles, but there are a couple things about it that work better for me), and I'm using the "Chrome Rings" clock from "One More Clock" which gives time/date/weather/battery in a layout similar to Circles. Someone on here pointed me to it. It's not quite as good a widget as Circles, but it does let you set different actions when you tap different corners and stuff, so you can set it to open alarms when you tap at the left side, open battery info when you tap the right side, and so on...it's not as cool though because the circles themselves don't contain specific touch spots, the areas of sensitivity are divided into square sections. Hard to explain. It's one of the more functional non-Circles widgets that I've found though.

Anyhow, Circles notwithstanding, the phone as a whole is better like this.

I really like the one more clock widget, thanks for that also!

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
^You're welcome - it's recommendations I got from others on this board.

I rooted and I'm trying out the Vitreous ROM right now, which is quite nice. It's stock-like, smoother than the Moto UI, and all the bloatware is removed. It's a "4.1-4.2 hybrid." He's working on a pure 4.2-based version, is my understanding.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to figure out this lag thing too...I really dislike lag. I disabled Google Now & disabled the Verizon Apps as previously suggested. I also think I may have found something awesome:

It may be premature, but I believe I've found a way to get rid of almost all lag. I installed this apk called Seeder.

My lag pretty much gone. I've been disappointed in EVERY Android phone I've ever had (because of lag)...this seems to have fixed it.

Anybody else look into this solution?

robocp4

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I just got the update this morning. I'm scared to update as I have read some bad things. Has JB gotten any better?

Also with the update will I lose anything
How long did it take to update?

Loosenuts

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same problem with lag and also smart actions not working at all. I would always get a popup that said "smart actions has unexpectantly stopped" However I have found that by turning off the "dont keep activities switch" it is all good now. Go to settings>all settings>developer options> scroll all the way to the bottom to "apps" and make sure "dont keep activities is unchecked.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
This will help

Go to Developer options>Turn off Window scale, Transition scale and animation scale.

I do this with every android phone and it makes it 40% faster.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Potent68

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's been a while, but I'll update on mine. I quit using SwiftKey and went back to the stock keyboard and while it's still not as smooth and "buttery" as ICS was, it's proved to be a significant improvement. Note that I still have Google+ turned off (doesn't really do me any good in my area) also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana