Concensus - MAXX HD or SIII

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
So sorry I didn't spell it out for you. But if the screen on a touch screen phone becomes unusable while charging then the phone itself is basically unusable . I wonder if I took the time to provide links showing that it's a known issue with Motorola smart phones having issues with generic chargers you would man up and admit you were wrong ? Have a nice day.

I will admit it could happen some of the time with certain defective chargers and/or phones. Since it doesn't happen with mine, then that more or less settles it - on a properly functioning phone, it doesn't happen.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
http://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...8QFjAE&usg=AFQjCNG0bu0n0Z8Uj081nnMXNuAelbW-WA
There you go read that and get back to me. It took exactly 5 seconds to find that I'm sure there's plenty more evidence out there to support what I said. And it's not like I'm saying Motorola makes a awful phone or something lord knows I've bought plenty of stuff from them in the last few years. I just don't think the Maxx is better than the s3.

I don't think one is better than the other - they both have their good points.. I have them both and I use them both by switching my card between them. I also have a plain old Maxx and I had the original Droid. None of which had this problem. Maybe you're just unlucky. No phone is perfect and the fact that there are defective ones out there surprises me not at all, and doesn't particularly upset me. It's just a phone. If you really don't like Moto, stop buying them.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I never said I dislike moto. But I do wish they would build the phone we all no there capable of building. You know the one with the great signal state of the art screen great battery life latest version of android excellent camera with no buggy moto software ........LOL we can dream ! ;-) have a good evening

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I will admit it could happen some of the time with certain defective chargers and/or phones. Since it doesn't happen with mine, then that more or less settles it - on a properly functioning phone, it doesn't happen.

So since it doesn't happen to you personally it doesn't exist ?? Well good for you I guess.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
So since it doesn't happen to you personally it doesn't exist ?? Well good for you I guess.
Hmmmmm, I don't see those words in any of my posts. In fact very much the opposite. Not bad for a guy who admonished me to read what he wrote. That just works one way I guess.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
build quality is to subjective to count for much and with some of the posts ive read about people complaining of signal issues on the maxx i would say its probably only marginaly better than the s3 in that dept. so were back to battery life as the only clear win for the maxx .we wont even go into the camera or the screen or the fact that you can charge a samsung device with any charger that happens to be laying around while if you try and charge a moto with a generic charger it becomes basically unusable while its charging .

I have several old chargers, both Verizon and non-Verizon and they all work fine with the Maxx HD with the phone fully functional.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd be careful with signal strength numbers. Phones are not scientific or test instruments, and phone manufacturers are notorious for making the numbers look as good as possible (read - lying. They do that on batteries too). What I can say for sure is that the only place I've had the S3 drop a call is where ANY of my phones would - they all hold signal just fine, which is the criteria that matters after all. If you could pull the antenna off and put it on a real signal strength meter alone and in an identical position in the identical circumstances and surroundings, then I'd buy the numbers reported. But no, not numbers reported by the phone, which, I repeat, are often modified by a marketing factor to look better. Phones with markedly higher numbers indicate the enthusiasm for the phone makers lying marketers to lie more than their lying competitors. I'm not saying that there aren't differences between antennae, but I'd accept 2-3dB. Not 10dB,which is HUGE, dB being a logarithmic scale..

I'm kind of skeptical that manufacturers would lie to the extent that you are alleging. That would require the marketing department (who usually are liars LOL) to tell engineering to fudge data (engineers usually don't like to do that.) But I'll go with it for now. Phones were about 12 feet apart on the counter top at a Verizon store. What about download speeds? Using Speed Test the Maxx HD was consistently in the low 60 MB/s range; the S3 was in the low 40 MB/s range. I don't think that statistic is something the manufacturers can conjure up. Isn't download speed an relative indicator of radio sensitivity?

cliberti

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I would go with the Maxx HD for several reasons. Now, take my opinion like anyone else, but I have used almost every phone out there and I am returning to the Maxx HD. Here are the phones I have used in the last 5-6 years. Treo 650, Treo 700p, Blackberry 8830, Blackbery Storm 2, Blackberry Torch, Palm Pre, HP Pre3, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, HTC Evo 4G, HTC Evo 4G LTE, Razr Maxx HD, Samsung Nexus 4G, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S3. As you can see with the exception of windows phones I have used pretty much everything.

The phones I like the best out of all of them are the Pre3 (best OS but no support any more and apps were non existent), iPhone 5 (fast, decent battery life, easy to travel with if on Verizon or Sprint, tons of apps, but smallish screen) and the Razr Maxx HD (great battery life, tons of apps, easy to travel with, large screen, best OS next to WebOS).

The things I do not like on the S3 that I have been using the last day and a half and why I am exchanging it for a Razr Maxx HD are:

Battery life good, but not close to the Maxx
Cannot change APN for international travel without rooting
Touch Wiz (I Hate it). Even when I loaded a different launcher I still have the crap in the notification pull down. Could they make the toggles any larger?
Build Quality not there
The antenna is not as strong. At home on the Maxx HD I could easily carry a conversation. In the 3 calls I have made on the S3 I have dropped calls 12 times requiring me to call people back. 12 times in a total of 20 minutes is unacceptable.