how to remove backup assistant contacts?

asylvia

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
ok, i'm sure this thread has been done before, but i couldn't seem to find one with search that matched my problem.

so under most of my contacts, there is a number, email address, etc for both gmail, and for verizon backup assistant that are exactly the same.

i want to eliminate the backup assistant one and just use the gmail.

i have deleted all of my backup assistant contacts from the website, however, they are still showing up on my device. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Once they are on your phone, they are on your phone. You can try refreshing your Gmail contacts to see if it removes the BA contacts. If that doesn't work, sorry to say aside from a factory reset, you'll have to go one-by-one and edit the contact info.

Also, make sure that both sets of info isn't saved in your Gmail contact list, as that could cause the issue again. Might have to go through and scrub that data as well.

cheezhead19

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, factory reset and reinstalling/fixing your apps will be faster than deleting one by one if you have a decent number of contacts.

patrickmaher

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Assuming you already have all your contacts synced with your Google account (those that you want to keep). You should be able to clear the contacts data on your phone and then sync with your Google account to restore them.

I don't have a RAZR, so your menus may be slightly different. Look under your Settings menu for the Apps option and then look for an app called Contacts or Contacts Storage under the All Apps heading. Clear data/cache on those apps and your contacts will be removed.

In the Settings menu look for an option called Accounts & Sync. Check which of your accounts are set to sync. It has been a long time since I have used Backup Assistant so I am not sure if you will see it here but if you do, you can disable sync for it. Make sure your google account is set to sync and you can initiate a manual sync to start downloading your contacts again.

These steps have worked for me in the past, hopefully they work on your phone.
One warning, it is possible to save contacts locally to an account called Phone. If you have any saved locally they are not saved to your Google contacts and you will lose them if you clear data on your Contacts app.

Edit: Now that I am thinking about Backup Assistant showing up as an account. You might want to check the settings in your Contacts app. You can define which account show up there. It's possible that Backup Assistant is an account that you can just uncheck to remove from your contacts list.

harpern78

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The correct way is to delete the contacts is from the BUA website which will in turn delete them from the phone with the next sync. I would recommend exporting them before doing this. Once thats done go to settings, applications, manage applicatiins, all tab, tap BUA then hit clear data. Thus will both eliminate the cintacts and stop BUA from running in the future. DO NOY RESET YOUR PHONE!

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The correct way is to delete the contacts is from the BUA website which will in turn delete them from the phone with the next sync. I would recommend exporting them before doing this. Once thats done go to settings, applications, manage applicatiins, all tab, tap BUA then hit clear data. Thus will both eliminate the cintacts and stop BUA from running in the future. DO NOY RESET YOUR PHONE!

Yup. ^^^ That's the way I did it. The I told BA to go away!

leesrt

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I would also add that you go to your contacts on your phone, click menu, select display options, and then under "chose contacts to display" only select google.
In the contacts menu you can also select "accounts" and click on BUA. Make sure your pin or password is blanked out so it can't sync in the future.

The BUA tip is greatly appreciated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89