Understanding "Radio"

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Can someone explain "radio" in relevancy to 4G/3G?
I ask because I use Widgetsoid..and it has an option for 4G on/off. Then, if you open that, you get a long dialog and and option for 'radio on/off'..nothing about 4G on/off. Does 'radio' mean 4G? If I turn that off, it seems to disable all phone signal.
And yesterday,my brother who has an iPhone and is on At&T, said he turns his 3G off and uses the regular signal if he's at my moms because he says she doesn't have 3G and it drains his battery looking for 3G....although Maxx showed a strong 3G. :)
Thanks

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Radio is your modem in your device. Its your 2g/3g/4g modem or radio(s) is what that is referring to.

WIFI is completely independent of this so not to be confused.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks,
So, if you turn Radio OFF...you have NO phone signal at all?
Which leads me to the other question of how do you/can you turn off 4G and use 3G if you KNOW you are in a remote area that barely has a signal at all?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes correct. You turn off the radio or place it in airplane mode you have no connection except for wifi or bluetooth.

I'm not completely familiar with that device but it should automatically be selecting whichever signal it can obtain if 4g is enabled. Normally this is selected in the Settings/Wireless & Networks/

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
"4G Toggle" in the marketplace is the quickest way to switch to 3g only. It's essentially a shortcut to the settings menu. That should save you a ton of battery if you're in a low to no 4g area.