Razr Maxx suddenly very slow

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
That's unfortunate, but I think your experience is the exception, not the rule. I won't go into a discussion about what you've tried so far to fix it, or any efforts to get a replacement from the wireless provider, since it sounds like you've already made up your mind. Hope the iPhone works better for you!

It seems that I have found at least part of the problem, through this thread. I deleted a bunch of text messages and it's measurably better, though not as good as it should be. The question is, is this a hardware or software problem?

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried clearing the cache partition? Sorry if you mentioned doing this before--I haven't dug too deep in this thread.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What about booting into Safe Mode? That would at least narrow the problem down to a 3rd party app vs a system problem.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
What about booting into Safe Mode? That would at least narrow the problem down to a 3rd party app vs a system problem.

I'll have to try that. Yesterday it was so bogged down just sitting on the charger for an hour that I couldn't even answer the dammed phone before it went to voice mail. It had trouble even ringing. Absolutely ridiculous. It's like it's running out of memory. Makes me hate it.

Last edited:

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
POS phone did it again. Got a call and the phone was so bogged down that I could not answer it. Went to voice mail. The slider didn't even appear until half way through the ring cycle. Ringer didn't ring right away either.

This after I moved every possible app to the SD card to free up memory. I'm starting to wonder if the carriers send something to the phone after you've had it for a while, slowing it down to motivate you to upgrade. This phone is so slow it's unbearable.... literally unusable. At this point I think I have to do a factory data reset. Not being able to answer an incoming call is something that should NEVER happen.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think you just have a dud, dude. Probably too late to get a replacement, but maybe still worth calling up Verizon and describing your problems to them, see if they might offer a replacement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the problem is the Chrome browser. I've noticed lately that the phone is usually fine until I use Chrome, and then it's completely fubar'd. Other apps start crashing left and right. The phone locks up hard and I'm forced to restart. It just becomes completely unusable. Chrome used to be great on both the phone and computer. With each successive update it has sucked more and more. The one feature I really liked about Chrome that kept me using it was the shared favorites between the phone and laptop, both ways. I think I'm going to dump Chrome on both platforms, though. Nothing good about it anymore, it just sucks all around.

lebem

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem is the Chrome browser. I've noticed lately that the phone is usually fine until I use Chrome, and then it's completely fubar'd...

I've also suspected Chrome but there are times I think I've started to get the slow down even when I haven't launched it but I'm not certain. I keep wavering on whether Chrome is the cause of a symptom that also exaggerates the problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
The Facebook app is a big cause of slowdowns too. As soon as I disabled it my phone started running really fast. The mobile Facebook website works better

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, a possible solution here. I've cleared the data cache and that seemed to have little to no effect.

This time I went into the app tray and hit the menu key and then selected "Manage Apps". I located both the stock browser and Chrome and cleared data in each. Yes, you will have to sign into Chrome again, but if you were signed in on both your computer and phone at some point prior to clearing data, all your favorite will come back after you clear data and then open Chrome to sign in again. I don't know of any way to accomplish the same thing with the stock browser.

My phone is A LOT faster now, without all the massive lag that was making it about impossible to use, even in apps other than Chrome. It feels like a new phone again. If this is a true fix, I will be VERY happy with my phone again!

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My phone has slowly become a crash and freeze prone piece of junk again. Completely unusable. I was restarting it or waiting for it to unfreeze more than I was using it again. I cleared all data from Chrome again and once again it's fixed. Chrome is the cause and it's absolute garbage. Worst app on Android, followed closely by the Facebook app. They must have absolute morons programming both of these garbage apps. Idiots.

James Shride

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree with you. For the first time in my life I have been really considering a class action lawsuit. There HAS to be evidence of this...

You can tell me a Dual Core 1.2Ghz CPU paired with 1GB of RAM loading out of flash memory could EVER be tapped out by use as a PHONE and MP3 player...

Major us cellular carries take note. Im watching you and rapidly loosing my patience...

James Shride

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I had similar experiences. I unsinstalled a bunch of crap and disabled everything else.

Runs so much better. I had Chrome as well, and got rid of that turd app. The device is back to being useful again.

POS phone did it again. Got a call and the phone was so bogged down that I could not answer it. Went to voice mail. The slider didn't even appear until half way through the ring cycle. Ringer didn't ring right away either.

This after I moved every possible app to the SD card to free up memory. I'm starting to wonder if the carriers send something to the phone after you've had it for a while, slowing it down to motivate you to upgrade. This phone is so slow it's unbearable.... literally unusable. At this point I think I have to do a factory data reset. Not being able to answer an incoming call is something that should NEVER happen.

bigrobi24

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I had Chrome as well, and got rid of that turd app. The device is back to being useful again.

Ya, chrome would run horribly on my Razr Maxx, and I was hesitant to even use it on my newly purchased Maxx because of those issues. Seems to run butter smooth on the new Maxx though. I'll have to keep up with regular clearing of the cache on this phone, and hopefully after 2 years it will still be as snappy as day one.

In the end, I hardly ran anything on the Razr Maxx and it was still laggy as a beast. Maybe a factory reset might have helped it, but I'm glad to have finally been able to move on.

FastMoneyPlaya

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
In the end, I hardly ran anything on the Razr Maxx and it was still laggy as a beast. Maybe a factory reset might have helped it, but I'm glad to have finally been able to move on.

I did a factory reset on my Razr Maxx a few weeks ago and everything was great - ran like brand new. After about a month, it is back to it's old laggy self.

Rogus

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I did a factory reset on my Razr Maxx a few weeks ago and everything was great - ran like brand new. After about a month, it is back to it's old laggy self.

Doesn't seem worth the hassle if it only helped for a month. I've been debating doing a factory reset, but this comment makes me think it's not worth it.

FastMoneyPlaya

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't seem worth the hassle if it only helped for a month. I've been debating doing a factory reset, but this comment makes me think it's not worth it.

It's not a tremendous hassle - I think I only wasted about an hour or so re-installing all my apps. I ran backup manager before the reset, so when I rebooted all my contacts were restored. My photos in my gallery came back. The only pain is resetting mail accounts, passwords, and configuring the apps back on the home page

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty