5G is painfully slow.

N2myN2

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
5G has always been slow, but today it makes my Verizon S22U locked as slow as "dial up". I've gone through the settings but found no relief. 4G and wi-fi work fine.
Rebooted and then tried clearing cache.
What am I doing wrong?
Is there any way to disable 5G for 4G?
Thanks.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Try this app I don't know if it still works
I'm tempted to try it.. we live rurally, and although 4G works fine out here, since I've been using phones with 5G I've had intermittent problems with not getting calls or texts 😕

Reactions: mustang7757

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
That band selector app works on AT&T branded Samsung phones by unhiding the Network option page in Settings that is normally hidden by AT&T. Maybe it works on Verizon phones too.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm tempted to try it.. we live rurally, and although 4G works fine out here, since I've been using phones with 5G I've had intermittent problems with not getting calls or texts
Definitely try it
That band selector app works on AT&T branded Samsung phones by unhiding the Network option page in Settings that is normally hidden by AT&T. Maybe it works on Verizon phones too.
I think it should can't test it I'm on TMO sims for Samsung and my Att is on pixels for now but it did work last year when I had my Att sim in the s22u

Reactions: J Dubbs

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
5G has always been slow, but today it makes my Verizon S22U locked as slow as "dial up". I've gone through the settings but found no relief. 4G and wi-fi work fine.
Rebooted and then tried clearing cache.
What am I doing wrong?
Is there any way to disable 5G for 4G?
Thanks.
Nothing. Probably Verizon doing tower maintenance in your area. Or there could other local atmospheric conditions or interference in your area. Did any storms come through your area? The radio frequency spectrum that 5G uses can be more susceptible to local atmospheric conditions and interference.

I am getting 118/18 (DL/UL) over 5G outside of my house and roughly the same inside on 4G. We had some rain come through last night and this morning. If I were to check in a few hours, I would get different results.

P.S. This happened Thursday and there were probably some residual effects: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/...gPhxRo9mSHPTsImxz5dW28ZBykMqUJmHfebE1dzSoIuXw

Last edited:

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Good grief, last night I had to go off my Wi-Fi at my house and I noticed the signal was saying 5G versus LTE ... and what nightmare! I am with Spectrum, they use Verizon towers, and the service is now just ridiculous. My phone is unlocked. I also have a Note 20 Ultra (old Verizon phone) and it is having the same issues. Got an update from Samsung yesterday. and since then, the data doesn't work. There was another update from Samsung this morning. So far, no change. And when I flip back to Wi-Fi, the 5G disease seems to linger on the phone. UGH!

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
So this option has been removed from the phone, why would Verizon do that?

Screenshot_20231219_183208_Call settings.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231219_182712_Call settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20231219_182712_Call settings.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 18

N2myN2

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Somebody must have greased the 5G cell towers. I was traveling this week and passed through several 5G zones as well as the ones near home. Lightning fast.
5G has always been super slow for my Verizon S22U. Maybe they read this forum. They should!

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Somebody must have greased the 5G cell towers. I was traveling this week and passed through several 5G zones as well as the ones near home. Lightning fast.
5G has always been super slow for my Verizon S22U. Maybe they read this forum. They should!
It's called, "frequency grease." The military uses it to increase range and power of its antennas. Since cell phones are essentially really expensive walkie-talkies, it works on cell towers too.

Last edited:

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So I switched back to Verizon kicking and screaming for a couple of reasons and on December 22, I stayed on the phone with Verizon when at times I wanted to scream and hang up until they put me through to Tier 2 support, where finally a ticket to the engineers was submitted. Today, January 4, I finally have data again at my house. I am spending a couple of hours with the phone to see what it is doing. It's going in and out of 5G/4G but it is working!! Prior to today and since the time they upgraded, it was stuck in 5G and not working. I have not yet received a text from Verizon that the job has been completed. I'll keep you posted. But if you are having a problem with your 5G and you have Verizon I would suggest you prepare yourself mentally to be diligent and not get off the phone until you have the ear of Tier 2 support.

When I was in the Verizon store December 21 getting my new SIM card, the rep told me that Verizon had upgraded the towers for 5G home Internet and that upgrade had stopped about 2-3 miles from me. My section upgrade would be coming up. My thought is that the upgrade was strong enough to attract my phone to the 5G but not strong enough to actually connect.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It's been fun *watching* Verizon work today on the signal. Started with a 5G icon. Then in and out of 5G/4G. Then a solid hour or so in 4G. Now a 5G UW icon with a fast speed test of 244 to no Internet, lol. So they are working on this and it's appreciated.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
AT&T S23 Ultra here's 5G then i can switch to LTE as you can see both pictures Setup
1f23d9fab0b12af0e6c5945e41244a97.jpg
bb05047bc1bd69f06672abb42e7a6648.jpg