Retiring my Maxx

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was getting tired of the increasing lag (despite cache wipes) and constantly getting kicked down to 3G on Verizon in one of the most technologically advanced areas in the world. So I got a Nexus 5 on TMobile, and am loving it! Will keep the Maxx as a bedside clock/media device, since I have the dock. Happy Trails!

Posted via Android Central App

Jack33

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
It's about time to switch, for anyone who owns OG Maxx. You will be missed. Hope you still visit this site to answer questions.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's about time to switch, for anyone who owns OG Maxx. You will be missed. Hope you still visit this site to answer questions.

Thanks, my friend! I'm not getting rid of it, so I'll still be able to answer questions to the best of my ability. However, as time goes on, more and more people will probably be rooting their Maxx and trying various ROMs (since it won't be getting anything beyond 4.1.2), and since I have no experience with rooting, I'll probably be more and more clueless!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, clearly the Droid Maxx is an excellent device. Had I decided to stay with Verizon, I would have upgraded to that phone when the time came.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, clearly the Droid Maxx is an excellent device. Had I decided to stay with Verizon, I would have upgraded to that phone when the time came.

Sounds about right for my plan too. Congrats on the Nexus.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

gymgal1951

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth issue. I love my maxx, but in Illinois we need hands free calling, etc. I have a jabra bluetooth. Won't connect. Address unknown in settings. I can use the speakerphone by law. But I'm curious about the bluetooth issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

gymgal1951

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I got the update. I've never used bluetooth at all since I've had my maxx. The bluetooth sharing in apps has cache, memory and something else. The utility apps show nothing! And address unknown in settings, phone info, status area.

gymgal1951

May 13, 2012
Visit site
B. Diddy.... Update pushed out this past Saturday. Thanks for your help.

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
In the same boat as you are OP. My Maxx has just become more of a paper weight than anything else. Doesn't make calls half the time, doesn't receive calls half the time, keeps telling me my SIM card is removed, even with a new one and blowing out the SIM and SD card bay, the list goes on, and Verizon doesn't know what the hell they talk about half the time when it comes to their warranty stuff (talked to 2 different people yesterday about it, one told me I still had warranty on this phone that I got in June 2013 from warranty, someone else told me that my warranty is from when I bought the phone in March 2012 till March 2013.) Anyways, my fiance and I are looking at T-Mobile now as Verizon has just become too expensive. Also looking at Nexus 5.

FastMoneyPlaya

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I've owned my Razr MAXX for about 16 months, and was having the lag issue. I've often done Cache Wipes which don't really seem to help a lot. I called Verizon and Motorola to complain and they said to do a Factory Reset. It was a bit of a hassle, but now my phone is running like brand new - very fast! It only took me about an hour to save my contacts, do the FDR, and reload all my apps and set up emails again - and it was well worth the time.

Hope this helps.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I was getting tired of the increasing lag (despite cache wipes) and constantly getting kicked down to 3G on Verizon in one of the most technologically advanced areas in the world. So I got a Nexus 5 on TMobile, and am loving it! Will keep the Maxx as a bedside clock/media device, since I have the dock. Happy Trails!

Posted via Android Central App

Diddy, you going to be ok with the lesser coverage? I had tmo years ago and loved the crystal clear calls and great CS, but coverage as always is my requirement. I also retired my Maxx and went for an upgrade. Miss the bigger battery is the only thing, can't leave Verizon's stellar coverage tho.
O

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Diddy, you going to be ok with the lesser coverage? I had tmo years ago and loved the crystal clear calls and great CS, but coverage as always is my requirement. I also retired my Maxx and went for an upgrade. Miss the bigger battery is the only thing, can't leave Verizon's stellar coverage tho.
O

Been fine so far--I think T-Mobile has improved its coverage by leaps and bounds since the last time you were on it. I don't do a ton of traveling, especially not to remote or rural areas (I'm a city slicker:cool:), so I don't anticipate any big problems with lack of coverage. So far, I've been very happy with coverage throughout the SF Bay Area, from SF down to Gilroy. I'll be traveling to Boston/Cambridge next month, so I'll see how things go there. Also travel to Hawaii at least once a year (the in-laws live there, woohoo!), and T-Mobile is king of the hill over there.

It's funny, because one of the things that soured me on Verizon was the consistent holes along 280 near where I work. It's not like they don't know, because I've actually complained to them about that before. T-Mo has perfect coverage in those holes.