Deciding between the razr and nexus

altimax98

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
This is one thing I think about when thinking of the non removable battery...

I pull a lot of my phones out of the closet to play with or use as a backup. Usually after a year or so of no charging and such the battery won't hold a charge or just might hold one but minimal. Its a stupid small thing I know but this thing will be useless in that case.

Just my thoughts.

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site

I pull a lot of my phones out of the closet to play with or use as a backup. Usually after a year or so of no charging and such the battery won't hold a charge or just might hold one but minimal. Its a stupid small thing I know but this thing will be useless in that case.

Just my thoughts.
I thought about this as well. I ultimately decided that when the battery eventually dies down the road, I probably wouldn't bother buying a new battery anyways. If the thing serves it's purpose for the duration of the contract then it's money well spent.

My older phones still seem to hold a decent charge even after sitting in the closet somewhere.

milkshed27

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

Just my thoughts.

Batteries should be stored at 40% state of charge to minimize capacity loss. The 3rd chart in this link should give you more info.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Get a portable micro USB quick charge pack. Charges the phone in like 30the minutes and is the same size as a battery.

Big deal.

The portable micro USB chargers are not much bigger than a spare battery. I hate taking the covers off my phone to change batteries. Carry that and have a car charger for both. I love the fact that a sealed battery makes the phone thinner and lighter.

Reactions: stevenjeff

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
So you're saying we should only let our batteries get down to 40% and then re-charge?

That would be best. Pretty difficult to do though. If you only ran the power down to 40% before it was convenient to charge you wouldn't be worrying about the battery...

yoopermjm

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
It seems to me that ICS is overrated and motoblur or whatever you want to call it might actually be worth having. Just consider the differences. Moto Droid Razr:

What looks like a truly amazing battery smart actions app which allows me to customize what my phone does based on time of day OR location OR both. Plus an app that lets me stream from either my work or home pc whenever I want to, wherever I am, including the option to move files or stream them whichever I want. PLUS an amazing laptop dock that turns my phone into a satellite lappy while it charges the much talked about but to me not feared unreplaceable battery.

With Gnex I can have facial recognition that doesn't always work, and even if it did, I do not want (I much prefer the protection of the encryption built into the razr combined with a secure unlock motion like I ALREADY HAVE on my OG droid. Plus ICS right now instead of in four months (or six months for that matter). Plus NFC to pay for things with my phone. As for NFC I have no desire to buy things with my phone, or to "touch" my phone with another similarly equipped phone and transfer contacts or files. I had this capability Palm 'beaming' years ago and found to be a party trick for the most part. And to be fair, GNex is more workable for custom roms, etc.

For me the razr hardware was already the reason which drew me to moto. Radio. Tough build. Gorilla. Kevlar. Water resist.

It is an easy choice for me. I think I can understand why others disagree, but for me ICS is just not that impressive, the higher res screen not noticeably better enough, and the wow factor of facial recog. or NFC just seem like fun but essentially useless additions to my real world. I LIKE the moto apps that are included (and if I don't, I will simply hide them). That's why I preordered a razr, and look about every day to check to see if it shipped!

Each to his/her own choice, just explaining mine.

Reactions: jroc

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
It seems to me that ICS is overrated and motoblur or whatever you want to call it might actually be worth having. Just consider the differences. Moto Droid Razr:

What looks like a truly amazing battery smart actions app which allows me to customize what my phone does based on time of day OR location OR both. Plus an app that lets me stream from either my work or home pc whenever I want to, wherever I am, including the option to move files or stream them whichever I want. PLUS an amazing laptop dock that turns my phone into a satellite lappy while it charges the much talked about but to me not feared unreplaceable battery.

With Gnex I can have facial recognition that doesn't always work, and even if it did, I do not want (I much prefer the protection of the encryption built into the razr combined with a secure unlock motion like I ALREADY HAVE on my OG droid. Plus ICS right now instead of in four months (or six months for that matter). Plus NFC to pay for things with my phone. As for NFC I have no desire to buy things with my phone, or to "touch" my phone with another similarly equipped phone and transfer contacts or files. I had this capability Palm 'beaming' years ago and found to be a party trick for the most part. And to be fair, GNex is more workable for custom roms, etc.

For me the razr hardware was already the reason which drew me to moto. Radio. Tough build. Gorilla. Kevlar. Water resist.

It is an easy choice for me. I think I can understand why others disagree, but for me ICS is just not that impressive, the higher res screen not noticeably better enough, and the wow factor of facial recog. or NFC just seem like fun but essentially useless additions to my real world. I LIKE the moto apps that are included (and if I don't, I will simply hide them). That's why I preordered a razr, and look about every day to check to see if it shipped!

Each to his/her own choice, just explaining mine.

almost exactly my thought process on this.

and to add fuel to the fire they are posting in the nexus section that the battery life "SUCKS!!!".

I really think the Razr is going to upset some haters.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
And you know what else - why is that most people on this forum feel the need to put down other peoples choices in order to validate their own (that includes all fanboys hating on the iPhone or Apple fanboys hating on everyone else). I wish people would just post objective reasons on why they bought, will buy or won't buy a particular phone. Personally, I have been with Verizon for over 8 years, have had great customer service when I need to call them (short waits and everyone speaks English), good rates after a corporate discount (I'm paying $80/month for 2 phones, 700 minutes, one with unlimited data and the other (the wife's not interested in a smartphone) a dumb phone. I don't need more than 700 because a lot of people I call are on Verizon and saves me minutes. On grandfathering, I have had this 700 minute plan (doesn't exist any more) because it's been grandfathered in and never had a problem keeping it. I expect to keep my unlimited data plan for a long time (although I fully expect that if I use a ton of data if I ever get LTE (I'm pretty small town rural) that I could get throttled. I feel like Verizon has not had that many high end phones and I'm ecstatic that we are going to THREE great LTE phones from the top three OEMs. By the way not really worried about BLUR on the RAZR - looks like it actually adds some value with e-mail encryption app, Motocast sounds great and they also allow you to get rid of bloatware (at least out of sight) with their current launcher. Not worried about ICS (if I don't like their launcher there's plenty of others - in fact, I think I read Launcher Pro has a way to look like ICS.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Here's my objective reasoning for buying a Razr over the Rezound and the GNex. It's my money and it's the one I want. It really is that easy. I have had HTC phones almost exclusively for the last 10 years or so. I don't think the Rezound is a huge improvement over the TBolt. Yeah, it's dual core, but for what I do with it that isn't a selling point FOR ME. After watching my wife flip out because her gps takes forever to lock on, (I think it's very telling that the GNex needs a barometer for gps assistance) the gps is one of my most heavily used features.

I am looking forward to having a phone with a great radio (something else I question in the competition given my experience with both), a usable gps, a passable camera, and plenty of juice to run the lapdock. I don't need a laptop, the one I have I only use for browsing anyway. My heavy lifting is done by my desktop. ICS is kind of a non factor as well, as I've heard Moto say it's coming. I can wait. I've made it this long on Gingerbread, I can wait a couple months more.

Reactions: TrendyProfessional1

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
And you know what else - why is that most people on this forum feel the need to put down other peoples choices in order to validate their own (that includes all fanboys hating on the iPhone or Apple fanboys hating on everyone else). I wish people would just post objective reasons on why they bought, will buy or won't buy a particular phone.

I agree with you 100% on this!! That's what I wish for every topic of discussion on this forum!

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
ICS is kind of a non factor as well, as I've heard Moto say it's coming. I can wait. I've made it this long on Gingerbread, I can wait a couple months more.

I feel the same way. Heck I still have the OG Droid from release day! And I'm running Froyo 2.2.2 and I don't mind at all! I don't know why people are obsessed with having the latest Android OS!? I'd rather have a stable one that's been tweaked and the kinks worked out.

I'm going for the Razr because honestly I like the design and unique features compared to the Nexus. AND, I can wait a few months for ICS. Heck for me Gingergread 2.3.5 and all that the Razr has to offer will be a big upgrade coming from my OG Droid. :)

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you 100% on this!! That's what I wish for every topic of discussion on this forum!

I buy Motorola for one reason mainly, RADIO RADIO RADIO!! Call reception had always been spectacular.

But I'm with you on your statement

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I buy Motorola for one reason mainly, RADIO RADIO RADIO!! Call reception had always been spectacular.

But I'm with you on your statement

I'll second you on that, Motorola phones have always had quality radio's and reception. Call quality and reliability in conjunction with the network their running on have been rock solid. Even way back to the old iDEN Nextel phones they made that I had for years.

yoopermjm

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same way. Heck I still have the OG Droid from release day! And I'm running Froyo 2.2.2 and I don't mind at all! I don't know why people are obsessed with having the latest Android OS!? I'd rather have a stable one that's been tweaked and the kinks worked out.

I'm going for the Razr because honestly I like the design and unique features compared to the Nexus. AND, I can wait a few months for ICS. Heck for me Gingergread 2.3.5 and all that the Razr has to offer will be a big upgrade coming from my OG Droid. :)

Yes, yes, yes. Agree with every word.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Willis

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I really haven't decided yet and won't until both phones are releases, but one concern I have with the Razr is that it has the bottons already on the phone which isnt a big deal until ICS is released for it and then you have the bottons on the bezel as well as on the screen. Kind of bothers me for some reason. Anybody else?

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
No need to worry, you can disable to screen buttons on ICS.

Yeah definitely. People shouldn't be worried about this. That's what's great about Android! They'll just go into ICS and disable the software buttons and re-route the commands like before to the physical buttons. This can't be a big problem from the software end.

cmorty72#AC

The bending unit
Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Well after very minor procrastination, I put an order in for a Razr yesterday. My OGD is starting to fade (but running strong via CM7.0.2). And after actually getting a "hands on" with the Razr from a tester (name and location withheld for obvious reasons), I am completely sold on this beautiful device!! I still can't get over how superior this device is to the Bionic. The camera was virtually flawless as well (I just hope the same can be said for the final production release). The tester told me that he had talk/browsing times of 11.5 hrs. on one charge (done with constant 4G LTE).
All I can say is that I'm looking forward to receiving my Razr on the 11th. :D