Razr for $99

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
No, this isn't spam. Amazon just dropped the price to $199 for current subscribers eligible for an upgrade. I just got off the phone with a rep from Verizon, who offered me a $100 discount. That makes the price $99. I just ordered the white Razr with 2 business day delivery.

You have to pay something like $79 immediately with the rest coming on your next bill.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Here's an interesting twist to the story. I saw that the Maxx was out so I wondered if I could get the same deal since Amazon has it (on backorder) for $229. Turns out that I could get it for $199 ($100 off the VZ retail price). AND, it turns out that my order for the white Razr actually hadn't gone through for some reason (the "some reason" was that a supervisor had nixed it because, according to the new rep, "They said that it wasn't available in your area"). She told me that "We don't work that way because, if you're available, you're available, simple as that'. She put me on hold and when she came back, she apologized for the SNAFU. She said that she could honor the $100 off the retail price the Maxx, AND the supervisor was going to add in the $30 new in 2 thing that has been discontinued because of the problem (after all, I'd still be sitting here gloating about the great deal, not even knowing that it had been nixed!)

I did a quick cost/benefit thing in my head and decided that getting the new Maxx for an extra $70 wasn't worth it for me (it might have been for someone else), so I said I'd rather stay with the white Razr. She said that this would make my new price for the Razr $69.99. So I jumped faster than a GOP candidate on Obama.

So now, my new price is $69.99!

As we closed things out, I asked, "Is there anything I can do to give you some brownie points for "excellent customer service"? She seemed thrilled and transferred me to her supervisor. I told the supervisor to give her 10s across the board. I hope that when the reps hook you up, that you do the same thing, because I know that some reps are better than others.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
That's a great deal, congratulations. Last time I called Verizon to order a few accessories they knocked forty dollars off the price out of nowhere. I don't mind calling them at all, they're pretty nice.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
PS, I didn't know that, even though I was going to have to pay $30 for hotspot, as opposed to $20 for 2 gb that I had been paying, the extra $10 would give me unlimited data because it was a 4g plan. Did not know that (this should be heard in the voice of Maxwell Smart of "Get Smart" fame). This is awesome, because 2 gig just wasn't enough for me. This rocks!

PS, this could just be for grandfathered folks, I don't know.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Paul, I agree. It's all in how to interact with them. Believe it or not, they are people too.

I just hope when folks get treated well by them, they hook a brother (or sister) up.

PS, no dis on the original rep - she was cool too. She had no control once she sent me to automated approval.

Last edited:

SpyglassSally

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
PS, I didn't know that, even though I was going to have to pay $30 for hotspot, as opposed to $20 for 2 gb that I had been paying, the extra $10 would give me unlimited data because it was a 4g plan. Did not know that (this should be heard in the voice of Maxwell Smart of "Get Smart" fame). This is awesome, because 2 gig just wasn't enough for me. This rocks!

PS, this could just be for grandfathered folks, I don't know.

Great shopping! What a deal on the RAZR!

So you got this deal with the hotspot? You said you had a 2GB plan so I gather you weren't grandfathered before? I'm wondering if it's a 4g MHS promo.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Just to be clear, I still have to pay $30 for the 4g hotspot on top of the $69.99. I WAS already grandfathered in with my main phone data plan. As I understand it, those who already have unlimited data get unlimited data for the hotspot when getting a 4g hotspot plan. My guess (especially since I've been paying $20 for 2 gb hotspot data for the past coupla months) is that they are trying to get already grandfathered folks to try the hotspot thing with the hook that they can continue to enjoy the hotspot if they pop for 4g ('cause, let me tell ya, 2 gig doesn't go very far even when using a reasonable amount of audio and video streaming).

As we speak, there's no substantial difference between buying the Maxx at Amazon or Verizon (about $30 cheaper if you tell Verizon that you're getting ready to buy from Amazon.) It's just too new. Heck, the regular Razr has been $229 - 250 at Amazon until the last day or two. Even though it's just a guess, I'm thinking that before this week, the best you could have done with VZ is around $199. You sorta have to wait until the first decent price decrease from the vendors.

Actually, the only reason I even went to VZ was to unblock my trext msgs. because I needed for Amazon to send me a text msg confirming my order. Since I rarely use txt, I've had a block on it for awhile now. I'm so glad now that I did. Almost as an aside, I mentioned that I was unblocking it to get Amazon's order through. "Oh yeah, can you beat their price"?

Boy, could they!!!!!!

That's why I thought that I could get the same deal on the MAXX, but, alas, it was just too early. I'll bet if people wait a month or two, they could probably get close enough to the same deal on the MAXX. I'm guessing that when the price at Amazon drops below $200, that would be the time to try. Of course, this could just be a temporary promotion so you might want to check with them every week. I don't have any inside info, just passing along what happened to me today.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
And, to be clear as mud, as I understand it, the hotspot data plan, formerly $20 for 2 gigs, is now $30 for unlimited when you go 4g. HOWEVER, it might be that you must be already grandfathered in on an unlimited data plan. That wasn't quite clear to me.

Up until now, even though I've been grandfathered in for unlimited phone data (with my Droid X), I've been limited to 2 gb on hotspot though.

SpyglassSally

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm sure you're right about the price dropping later on the Maxx. As soon as the next best thing comes out - which will probably be about 6-8 weeks, the way things are going.

But you got a great deal on a great phone. Congratulations again!

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The problem as I saw it was I didn't know whether this was just a temporary $100 cheaper deal on selected phones vs. other retailers, a global discount or whatnot. It's quite possible that it was only on the Razr to clear some of them out just because of the MAXX, which is only priced $30 at Amazon (not sure what the retail is). For $70, it was definitely worth not waiting on the MAXX, especially since it will be a while before it drops to around $100, which is my comfort zone. The Razr was so attractive though that I was going to spend a couple of hundred on it. My Droid X is reaching the end of its usable life (SD card slot doesn't work, etc.). Since I usually have access to chargers, I think I'll be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress