What exactly is "wipe cache partition"???

Andor Gates

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello ,

I d like to ask a question to you and i ll be appriciated if you help me

i have galaxy s4 mini , however it has a problem , when i make it stand by/sleep mode, it consumes the battery approximately %3 in an hour , you must admit that this is not acceptable, this is a problem, when i go to bed with %100 , i get up with %70, and i ve been trying to find a solution for this, i have tried anything but the result is negative, finally i did wipe cache partition then it was ok for couple of days, then the problem is still exist, i have to do it frequently, anyway this may not be a valid solution, what i want to ask is what is the relation between "wipe cache" and "battery loss", additionally could you advice me any soluiton to cope with this battery loss problem in sleep mode

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello ,

I d like to ask a question to you and i ll be appriciated if you help me

i have galaxy s4 mini , however it has a problem , when i make it stand by/sleep mode, it consumes the battery approximately %3 in an hour , you must admit that this is not acceptable, this is a problem, when i go to bed with %100 , i get up with %70, and i ve been trying to find a solution for this, i have tried anything but the result is negative, finally i did wipe cache partition then it was ok for couple of days, then the problem is still exist, i have to do it frequently, anyway this may not be a valid solution, what i want to ask is what is the relation between "wipe cache" and "battery loss", additionally could you advice me any soluiton to cope with this battery loss problem in sleep mode

Welcome to Android Central! Wiping the cache might help with battery drain if there is some temporary system data that is somehow interfering with the proper functioning of apps; hence, wiping that temporary data away can correct the issue, and therefore stop the battery drain. But if the drain is coming back, then there may be an app that is misbehaving and using too much battery while idle. Do the following:

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

michty_me

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Is there a difference on doing this:

- From a powered off state, press the Power button to start your Nexus 5. When you see the Google logo press and hold the Volume Down key and release when the device vibrates.
- Use the volume keys to highlight Recovery Menu and press the Power button to select. This will bring you to a screen with an Android on its back.
- Hold the Volume Up key for 5 secs then release and a new menu will appear.
- Use the volume keys to select Wipe Cache Partition and press the power button to select it.

Compared to this way:

settings>storage>cache.

krashrock

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
OMG this thread fixed my battery run down condition on my Galaxy s5!
Please let me elaborate, after the last update 6.01 battery time was on the terms of hours not days, I had tried everything I knew of, new battery, power saving mode, ultra power saving mode, so very frustrating. BUT! I must admit clearing out the cache seems to have done the job. Now battery condition is awesome instead of lasting for 8 hours it now says 84% will last 30+ hours Amazing!
Thank you all so much

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Is wipe cache partition is just like make all system default again???
Welcome to the forums. No, the cache partition wipe won't delete any personal data or configuration in your phone. It will delete only temporary files, as explained in this thread.

Mad92house

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Hi I was advised to do a wipe partition cache as I'm having undefined issues with Google play. However my recovery menu is in Chinese and the nearest I can find is wipe eMMc. Nothing translates to partition cache. Is this the option I need? Many thanks

Dawhoda

Aug 13, 2017
Visit site
Actually, what you describe more closely resembles the "dalvik cache", which is:

source

or here's another similar definition:

Source

The only real effect of deleting the dalvik-cache (which can also be done in recovery) is that the phone will take longer to boot up, it doesn't remove any user data or settings.

Now, to answer the OP, this is different from the "cache" partion, which is:

Source

So, the /cache is basically just a temp directory used by the system for downloading temporary files it needs when installing apps and such. wiping the cache partition generally will have no noticeable effect to the end user. It also doesn't really free up any space either, because it's mounted as a separate partition, and thus always uses the same amount of the total disk storage space.

Generally, if you're rooted and installing ROMs or other mods in recovery, it's always recommended to wipe both the /cache and the dalvik cache at minimum before installing anything. This is good advice and I certainly don't disagree with it, but chances are that it's actually the clearing of the dalvik that is most important.

If you're phone is running sluggish, clearing these 2 is also a quick and easy step you can take to see if rebuilding the app optimization files can improve performance.

Nobody has mentioned or I think is even rooted who asked this question bro why confuse them even more ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles