Additional stock charger?

Feldhege

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone found an additional stock charger for the transformer yet? I LOVE my tablet but in using it for my IT stuff, it sure would be nice to have an additional charger. I don't have the dock (yet).

bob smith

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
search "dx-ua" on google, make sure to get the included female usb plug. if you pay over $10 you paid too much. ;)

i just charged both my dock and tablet last night, all night. it might be a little slower (or faster) than original charger. but, it has a longer cable and do not care if it burns out.

thanks to devcake on xda.

jordo

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
So has anyone had any luck with finding extra long cables? Not really a big deal but it sure would be nice having another foot or two of cable length.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
So has anyone had any luck with finding extra long cables? Not really a big deal but it sure would be nice having another foot or two of cable length.

Why not just use a female to male USB extension? Thats what I plan to do when mine comes in.

scroogie

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Why not just use a female to male USB extension? Thats what I plan to do when mine comes in.
I tried a standard extention and it doesn't work.
Actually, the USB plug on the tf cable got 5 'springs' instead of 4 as in standard "A" plug.
Not sure but the new USB 3 might be an option.

Principal Skinner

May 22, 2010
Visit site
USB Extension

I tried a standard extention and it doesn't work.
Actually, the USB plug on the tf cable got 5 'springs' instead of 4 as in standard "A" plug.
Not sure but the new USB 3 might be an option.

Bought a 3 foot USB 3.0 extension from monoprice.com. It works very well for me. Now my Transformer doesn't sit precariously on the side of my desk.

If only we could get a charging cable that was longer to begin with:)

bob smith

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Bought a 3 foot USB 3.0 extension from monoprice.com. It works very well for me. Now my Transformer doesn't sit precariously on the side of my desk.

If only we could get a charging cable that was longer to begin with:)

The ideal (in my opinion) configuration is a (1) wall plug with cable from "DX-UA universal" kit with male barrel plug end on cable (unplug the box with selector voltages - probably not needed), plug barrel into (2) "USB A Female to 5525 Plug Female USB 5V Power Adapter" from ebay for example, and (3) plug in your TF101 cable.

Now you have 15v charging without using the wall plug from Asus and it is about 6 feet longer.

Total cost should be about $8USD + $5USD = $13USD including shipping. :)

Things can go wrong with this plan, as the original wall plug from Asus can have some special features, like trickle or otherwise. But, this works for me, YMMV, and at your own risk. Good luck.

Last edited:

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
The ideal (in my opinion) configuration is a (1) wall plug with cable from "DX-UA universal" kit with male barrel plug end on cable (unplug the box with selector voltages - probably not needed), plug barrel into (2) "USB A Female to 5525 Plug Female USB 5V Power Adapter" from ebay for example, and (3) plug in your TF101 cable.

Now you have 15v charging without using the wall plug from Asus and it is about 6 feet longer.

Total cost should be about $8USD + $5USD = $13USD including shipping. :)

Things can go wrong with this plan, as the original wall plug from Asus can have some special features, like trickle or otherwise. But, this works for me, YMMV, and at your own risk. Good luck.

Huh - I have the dx-ua - never occurred to mme tto take the selector out - have you stuck that on a voltmeter to see hwat it pushes out with no selector? I might give this a shot.

bob smith

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
That's actually near perfect thanks for checking

I modded my tablet to charge with 2.5mm barrel plug. It only goes into *charging ac* mode with ~15v like the DX-UA wall plug. It says not charging if I attach the 11v the slider switch with a tip . Now I like the DX-UA even more because the 2.5mm tip will not work but the wall plug and cable with barrel plug works great (without the proprietary cable).

After I mod my dock, no more proprietary cables needed for me until accessories appear.

imager01

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Just noticed an Asus AC Adapter for Transformer Tablets for preorder at Frys:

FRYS.com*|*ASUS COMPUTER INT'L

I emailed Fry's to inquire when the charger will be in stock and here is the answer I received

Dear valued Frys.com customer,
Thank you for contacting Frys.com. At this time, an estimated time of arrival is unavailable as the manufacturer has been unable to provide an anticipated ship date. We have submitted a request to have this estimated date forwarded to you as soon as we receive one. We should be given an expected arrival time for the item shortly.
We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I modded my tablet to charge with 2.5mm barrel plug. It only goes into *charging ac* mode with ~15v like the DX-UA wall plug. It says not charging if I attach the 11v the slider switch with a tip . Now I like the DX-UA even more because the 2.5mm tip will not work but the wall plug and cable with barrel plug works great (without the proprietary cable).

After I mod my dock, no more proprietary cables needed for me until accessories appear.

Pictures? Just curious

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

bob smith

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Pictures? Just curious

I used some of the spare components from my "DIY TF101 Keyboard Dock barrel style charger connector MOD" over at XDA. Out of time, so behind on posting instructions and photos. Some tips on XDA.

Here are a few fresh pics. The *hard* part is soldering a wire across those three pins (0.5mm spacing). Basically, the distance between all three of them is 1mm total. The rest was easy.

fjfisher601#AC

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Through Amazon I got 3 AC Adaptors / with USB Cables- all shipped thought their Calif Affiliate at ExCaliberPC.com- they were $27.00 Each- waited 3 weeks- but they are in- so know I can have one at home.one at the office, and one extra for travel etc/ spare etc.

For under $20 as well, I got a true Leather Folding case that flips into a kickstand like setup too- search at amazon under ASUS Transformer accessories. :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95