Sprint HotSpot App keep or delete?

Duby1186

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I have rooted and have SRF 1.2 ROM on my phone with the twilight zone kernal. It came with wireless and wired tethering apps pre-installed. I prefer and use GOLauncher as well because when I flash a new rom and reinstall it, my homescreen and folders are resetup as ive had before. Anyways, when I go into my app drawer to see whats running and close the unimportant apps, sprint hotspot is always on this list.

Do I need to keep sprint hotspot app installed in order for the other tethering apps to work? I dont have anything activated or checked to make that app start and I dont use tethering....yet. So im wondering why this app always comes up in running app list? And is it safe to uninstall it if I already have the other tethering apps? Isnt it just a bloatware app from sprint? Thanks!

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Don't quote me, but I think I read somewhere that it's necessary for wireless tether to work, that's why it wasn't stripped with the rest of the bloat.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have rooted and have SRF 1.2 ROM on my phone with the twilight zone kernal. It came with wireless and wired tethering apps pre-installed. I prefer and use GOLauncher as well because when I flash a new rom and reinstall it, my homescreen and folders are resetup as ive had before. Anyways, when I go into my app drawer to see whats running and close the unimportant apps, sprint hotspot is always on this list.

Do I need to keep sprint hotspot app installed in order for the other tethering apps to work? I dont have anything activated or checked to make that app start and I dont use tethering....yet. So im wondering why this app always comes up in running app list? And is it safe to uninstall it if I already have the other tethering apps? Isnt it just a bloatware app from sprint? Thanks!
Yes you need to keep Sprint Hotspot in place.

Duby1186

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I thought tethering was free? But I read another post saying if u try to use it, it will charge u for their service? So how would I make the wireless/wired tethering work qithout being charged?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I thought tethering was free? But I read another post saying if u try to use it, it will charge u for their service? So how would I make the wireless/wired tethering work qithout being charged?
The Sprint Hotspot app is activated when using the Wireless Tethering but you are not charged. I have used it time and time again and as long as you allow Wireless Tethering to do what its supposed to do you will be fine. Going in and actually selecting the Sprint Hotspot application from your app list is a different story, that will trigger the application how Sprint intended it to be used and you will be probably be prompted to agree to their terms and accept the charges for using the application.

I think the Sprint Hotspot application is only used when your using the newer Wireless Tethering versions that have infrastructure mode enabled (allows connection to devices other than computers, like IPODs, PS3, XBOX, etc.. ).

Earlier versions of Wireless Tethering which were phone to computer connection only didn't activate the use of the Sprint Wireless tethering application.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you don't have the hotspot app, the wireless tether applications won't be able to work properly. It calls on the infrastructure mode of the hotspot app, but routes it through normal internet. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with adhoc networking only.
If you open the hotspot app, and you don't have tethering on your plan, it will simply say your username/password are invalid (because you don't have the service). You won't be charged for using it, because it simply won't connect.

Reactions: Paul627g

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If you don't have the hotspot app, the wireless tether applications won't be able to work properly. It calls on the infrastructure mode of the hotspot app, but routes it through normal internet. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with adhoc networking only.
If you open the hotspot app, and you don't have tethering on your plan, it will simply say your username/password are invalid (because you don't have the service). You won't be charged for using it, because it simply won't connect.
Ratsttam, thanks for adding onto what I already posted. Bottom line as I and ratsttam have said, Sprint Hotspot is required and should be left alone. Its one of those few "bloatware" apps that has to stay intact for everything to function properly.

arcolino

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Ratsttam, thanks for adding onto what I already posted. Bottom line as I and ratsttam have said, Sprint Hotspot is required and should be left alone. Its one of those few "bloatware" apps that has to stay intact for everything to function properly.

sprint hotspot app is blocking other apps I tested a bunch of them and it keeps popping up. is there a way to disable or something I cant get other hotspot apps to work it blocks the connection or something. I have rooted the phone. please help.

jayman123123

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem on my Samsung Conquer 4g. I am using "wireless tether" and yes my phone is rooted. When I try to connect it to "androidthether" connection on my acer tablet it'll just say "obtaining IP address" and the Sprint Hot spot will say "hotspot activated". So I believe one way or another that the Sprint Hot Spot App is some how blocking me from accessing the internet. Has anyone figured this out yet?
Thanks!

Creoley

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi - I also noticed this app appeared on my android so I am not sure why it's there or how to delete it. I really don't think I need it, I didn't install it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38