Samsung Epic 4G Lag Fix: RFS to EXT4 for Froyo DK28

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
hey for some reason, when i first boot into the new CWM mod, it kept saying for the first few lines of code as it was installing: "failed to mount EXT4 checking..." it said this about 4 times. But if you successfully downloaded the CWM 3.0.0.5, does it mean you have EXT4?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
hey for some reason, when i first boot into the new CWM mod, it kept saying for the first few lines of code as it was installing: "failed to mount EXT4 checking..." it said this about 4 times. But if you successfully downloaded the CWM 3.0.0.5, does it mean you have EXT4?

Well let me ask you this, are you currently running a EXT4/CWM3 ROM? If so, then it must have installed properly or else it wouldn't flash/boot up.

eozdalga

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Is there any reason why people would Odin back to get the OTA update? I've been pretty happy with this ROM (TER 1.2, planning to update to 1.5 soon).

As always, thanks Rag and Paul.

_Bak_

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Clockworkmod Gone Loco!

Ive recently started having trouble backing up my phone on cwm, unfortunately now its gotten worse I cant even install CMW3 without getting stuck on that samsung screen after rebooting my system through it. I was trying to put a new Rom on, i always did the recommended amount of cache wipes etc and needless to say its pretty frustrating...

Has anyone experienced anything similar and fixed it or have any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
What you're describing is normal behavior. From the first post:

6. Clockwork v3.0.0.5 will automatically convert your filesystem from RFS to EXT4, so you're now ready for some EXT4 ROMs :D Note: if you try and boot your phone after converting to EXT4, you will get stuck on the Samsung screen. You need to flash an EXT4 ROM before booting, so proceed to Step 7.

Flash a custom ROM and you'll be fine.

Reactions: _Bak_

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
ClockWorkMod 3.x.x.x doesn't support stock DK28. You will have to flash a ROM supporting EXT4/CWM3. Otherwise you will have to Odin back to stock Eclair or DK28 Froyo and use CWM 2.x.x.x

Reactions: _Bak_

RichardLSX

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this question sounds stupid, But I'm a complete noob at rooting, and actually to androids also, but I go completely lost on step 3. Where do I get the ROM or what is that.

Thanks in advance

abanoub14

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this question sounds stupid, But I'm a complete noob at rooting, and actually to androids also, but I go completely lost on step 3. Where do I get the ROM or what is that.

Thanks in advance

there isnt a ROM listed here but there are alot over at xda Epic 4G Android Development - xda-developers
but I reccomend the TER rebirth (truly epic rom) which is ext4 and can be found on these forums

ggbballer96

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
i rooted with the rfs version because at first i just wanted to get apps like shootme and setcpu but now i would like to convert to ext4..how could i do this

mocsab

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I am new to this whole concept of 'flashing' and "rooting' and stuff - I am begining to figure out what all the terms mean - I love my epic - I would like to improve the performance - heck,I would love to install lthe Gingerbread upgrade I have seen around - (I have a copy of it downloaded and havn't done anything with it yet) to be honest I am struggelling with the concept of 'rooting' my phone, concerned I am going to ruin someting and be 'screwed' if you know what I mean.

First of all - the instructions you have given here are the best I have seen so far for getting started down this path - and I think I can actually follow along and do all the steps correctly - but I guess what I want to know is - is it worth the risk? What are the chances that I will screw things up and not be able to get them back - and do the benefits you get from doing this stuff make it work it all? (I realize you are not giving instructions for doing the Gingerbread upgrade - but It seems to me if I did the things you are suggesting here - I would be closer to being able to that if I did decide to ) SOOOO - is it worth it ?

Would I be better off just waiting until the Gingerbread update comes along in a few weeks or months - or whatever?

One other question - when downloading some of the files necessary (not from your links but from others I have seen online) there was one file in particular that no matter where I attempted to download it from, I got virus warnings from Microsoft Essentials which ended up blocking and removing the file when I tried to download it - Was this normal or is it more likely that the file was corrupted and had a real virus in it?

I appreciate your comments -

I do appreciate your thoughts -

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I am new to this whole concept of 'flashing' and "rooting' and stuff - I am begining to figure out what all the terms mean - I love my epic - I would like to improve the performance - heck,I would love to install lthe Gingerbread upgrade I have seen around - (I have a copy of it downloaded and havn't done anything with it yet) to be honest I am struggelling with the concept of 'rooting' my phone, concerned I am going to ruin someting and be 'screwed' if you know what I mean.

First of all - the instructions you have given here are the best I have seen so far for getting started down this path - and I think I can actually follow along and do all the steps correctly - but I guess what I want to know is - is it worth the risk? What are the chances that I will screw things up and not be able to get them back - and do the benefits you get from doing this stuff make it work it all? (I realize you are not giving instructions for doing the Gingerbread upgrade - but It seems to me if I did the things you are suggesting here - I would be closer to being able to that if I did decide to ) SOOOO - is it worth it ?

Would I be better off just waiting until the Gingerbread update comes along in a few weeks or months - or whatever?

One other question - when downloading some of the files necessary (not from your links but from others I have seen online) there was one file in particular that no matter where I attempted to download it from, I got virus warnings from Microsoft Essentials which ended up blocking and removing the file when I tried to download it - Was this normal or is it more likely that the file was corrupted and had a real virus in it?

I appreciate your comments -

I do appreciate your thoughts -

First the so called virus or trojan horse that your virus scan is finding is the "rageinthecage" file that is in the OneClickRoot apps to root your device. THIS IS NOT A VIRUS... It was listed as an exploit because of what it does, "its the needed key file to root your device" and all the virus scan programs were updated to treat it as a virus when you go to extract and use the root pgm.

When you go t extract the Oneclickroot pgm and actually root your device just temp. disable your anti virus scanners until your finished or else it won't allow it to root or extract the files.

As far as rooting there is always a risk but 99.9% of the time everything works and normally any screw ups can be recovered from if you just stop and ask questions.

Bottom line read up, and anything your not sure of just ask and we will help you out.

st8shot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
OK. HERES A QUESTION THAT HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN HELP ME WITH... I have been rooted and running the Truly Epic rebirth v 1.5 clean version for some time on my Epic 4g for a while. Every thing has been fine up until tonight when i dropped my phone :'( . Screen is all jacked up. I have used Clock work Mod3 to back up my device. THe question is when i get my replacement what do i have to do to get it back to where i am now...????(rooted, clockworkMod3, and ROm with all my current info/apps)
I'm guessing I'll have to root and install clock work mod3 all over again... but will my backup .zip file restore to my new phone at that point?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes root your device and get it setup with the same clock work mod and then you should be able to restore your previous backup. Also I might add since your probably running EXT 4 setup you will probably have to first do the EXT 4 conversion first then go and restore your backup.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer