Prioritize (Bluetooth) Music Playback

Jinded

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I use a number of Bluetooth headset/speaker devices to listen to music with. The problem I've been having for as long as I can remember with this phone is that whenever I receive an email or text, there'll be a ~1/2 second pause in the music playback. When I'm doing something more strenuous, like browsing the web or using Google Maps/Navigation, there are often small hitches as well. Doing something like installing/updating apps from the Market often causes music playback to be interrupted for up to 30 seconds at a time, which is pretty annoying.

I'm wondering if there is any app/method out there that will let me prioritize the CPU for certain apps (I use PowerAMP for music, but have tried others to no avail), or maybe prioritize the CPU for Bluetooth connections. I figured anything like this would require a rooted device, which is why I'm posting it in this section.

Any advise would be appreciated.

elbaso

Apr 14, 2010
about.me
I also use Bluetooth headsets for listening to music/podcasts, and I've experienced the same pauses you have.
I don't know about prioritizing the music player to avoid the system notification sounds. I generally just mute them in the Sounds Settings, and that works fine.

When you're installing apps and you get the longer pauses, I imagine that's because you're writing data to the SD card. When that happens, Android freezes access to reading data off the SD card, hence the longer pauses. Not sure if this is fixable in this version of Android.
Hopefully, future versions will allow you to buffer the audio in memory, so that you avoid the pauses during SD card access.

For those who know more about how this works, please let me know if I'm way off base.

Jinded

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
PowerAMP has an option to change the buffer size (auto, large, or huge), and changing this from auto to huge seemed to have helped the problem a tiny bit. Still nowhere near a solution though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez