How to Root/Flash

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
whats the difference between the 2 (internal and external)?
Your Phone has segmented its internal memory to provide a disk partition that can be used as an sdcard. This is the internal sdcard. It is around 14GB plus or minus.

When you insert a microsd card in the slot at the back of the phone, that is the external sd.

Last edited:
Reactions: RawisTheGameHhH

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Your Phone has segmented its internal memory to provide a disk partition that can be used as an sdcard. This is the external sdcard. It is around 14GB plus or minus.

When you insert a microsd card in the slot at the back of the phone, that is the external sd.

wait you said both are the external sdcard; i imagine the microsd card that i have is the external sd and the internal sd is the partition on my phone; correct?

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
any of my fellow noobs try to flash a rom yet? i havent done it yet until i understand how to return to stock; i keep reading and reading how

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
any of my fellow noobs try to flash a rom yet? i havent done it yet until i understand how to return to stock; i keep reading and reading how

The first one is always the worst. It is all apart of the learning process. As long as you can figure out how to return to stock 99% of the time you will be fine... The easiest way to stock is via Odin and the stock EK02 tar file.

Always make a back up before flashing via clockworkmod. We were all noobs at one point and we have all thought we "bricked" at one point or another. Just remember patience, read, read some more, backup and then flash. Good luck.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say "the worst", maybe "the one you'll be most nervous about." Try not to worry too much. It is very hard to brick these.

And it sounds like your taking wise slow steps and doing your homework. You'll be fine, even if something does not go as you'd like.

Choose the ROM you wish to try, then leave it on while you get used to it to see if it's what you really want. Maybe there are features you consider must-have that are missing and are in another ROM. Maybe there are things you really can't stand (5x5 icons) that you want gone. Then look for another ROM that better suits.

Lastly, as I think you've seen, folks here are very very good at helping get us out of potential trouble. (I came from a Sprint Pre+ too, and have been helped every time I've needed it.)

Good luck!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I might suggest that you start with UnNamed. Its the closest to a stock experience and from my testing has the least quirks and potential for problems. I'm running it right now and its my favorite ROM. I've run both Calkulin and Blazer which are both great, but I experienced annoying quirks with both. Unnamed has been problem free and runs smooth as silk.

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I might suggest that you start with UnNamed. Its the closest to a stock experience and from my testing has the least quirks and potential for problems. I'm running it right now and its my favorite ROM. I've run both Calkulin and Blazer which are both great, but I experienced annoying quirks with both. Unnamed has been problem free and runs smooth as silk.

I have elminated Calkulin's rom due to the 5x5 app drawer; i have unamed/blazer saved to my PC; maybe i will try unnamed this weekend; i just dont want to keep flashing my phone over and over cause there is a newer update every other day causing me to install all my apps back.

how does the crt screen off animation work? i really love that on my work nexus.

is there a zip of all the apps he removed?

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I have elminated Calkulin's rom due to the 5x5 app drawer; i have unamed/blazer saved to my PC; maybe i will try unnamed this weekend; i just dont want to keep flashing my phone over and over cause there is a newer update every other day causing me to install all my apps back.

how does the crt screen off animation work? i really love that on my work nexus.

is there a zip of all the apps he removed?

I've found that Phantomhacker's updates on Blazer can be a mess, sometimes requiring a full wipe, bootloops, flashing an old version to be able to flash a new version, etc. It's one of the reasons I left the ROM and moved to UnNamed. However, UnNamed is still EL13 based, which is fine by me as CIQ is totally removed and nothing really profound came out in the EL26 and 29 leaks, but if you want the latest and greatest you may be waiting awhile. But that can be a good thing. Less updates = less things that can go wrong, especially if you don't care for re-setting up your phone all the time. Still, the developer hasn't even poked his head into the thread for quite awhile which does have me a bit concerned about the future of the ROM, but I forget about that when I remember how great the current version is.

CRT animation is not in the ROM, but he provides a ZIP where you can flash it separately. I had it before. It's cool for awhile but the novelty wears off. I don't use it currently. Same goes for the Apps he removed. He provides them in separate downloads at the bottom of the ROM thread on XDA.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
nope i havent; not sure what to load

Is there something you are looking for specifically in a rom? If you are content at stock rooted then take your time, look around for a while and do some research, no need to rush. I have a feeling there will be some very interesting roms dropping in the next month or so.

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Is there something you are looking for specifically in a rom? If you are content at stock rooted then take your time, look around for a while and do some research, no need to rush. I have a feeling there will be some very interesting roms dropping in the next month or so.

i may wait until after ICS officially comes out for our phone