RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I just installed 2.9.1 a few days ago and see he just updated to 2.9.2. Does this mean I have to format my phone and start over again? Or can I somehow install this and keep all my data (apps, etc)? Thanks!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
With incremental updates, usually you should be able to just wipe cache and dalvik cache, then flash.

Yes this is most often correct. Sometimes ROM devs just post an update, that adds to the existing version. Other times, they post a new full ROM. In both cases, just wiping your caches should be enough. Best practice is to check the ROM thread since the update and look for any reports of people having problems flashing over the older version.

Going from one ROM to a completely different one is where you always want to perform a full wipe (or should anyways).

Reactions: RawisTheGameHhH

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Just because I'm extra cautious, I do a full wipe when flashing a ROM even if it's just an update. I use MyBackup Pro to backup my apps and data so it's really easy for me to get everything back to the way it was.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
thanks guys; his rom has been killing my battery more than normal; i am running the UnNamed Rom today

Battery life on Calk's ROM should be excellent. It's often said that you need to give a new ROM install 2 or 3 discharge and charge cycles for the battery gauge to settle in. I think it's anecdotal but my unscientific observations say there's probably some truth to it. I would also suggest you go though all of your settings and make sure all your syncs, background data, and other settings are set properly. If I recall, Calk's ROM defaults the wifi policy to sleep when the screen is off. Generally, it's best to set wifi sleep policy to never. If you battery doesn't improve after a couple of days, then you may have an App or Apps not playing nice with your new setup. Apps like Better Battery Stats and CPU Spy can help narrow those issues down.

Regarding UnNamed ... it's an excellent ROM. I ran it longer than any other ROM on this phone yet. It's fast and stable. But keep in mind that it's no longer being developed, and it's on the EL13 base (the first ROM leak that ultimately finished with the official EL29). So you may start getting popups to update your phone to the latest firmware.

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Watch out for the Facebook App. It will drain your battery like crazy! I kill is after ever single use or it winds up killing my battery.

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Just because I'm extra cautious, I do a full wipe when flashing a ROM even if it's just an update. I use MyBackup Pro to backup my apps and data so it's really easy for me to get everything back to the way it was.

thanks; i am checking that out now because it normally takes me like another hour or so to load all my apps back

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Battery life on Calk's ROM should be excellent. It's often said that you need to give a new ROM install 2 or 3 discharge and charge cycles for the battery gauge to settle in. I think it's anecdotal but my unscientific observations say there's probably some truth to it. I would also suggest you go though all of your settings and make sure all your syncs, background data, and other settings are set properly. If I recall, Calk's ROM defaults the wifi policy to sleep when the screen is off. Generally, it's best to set wifi sleep policy to never. If you battery doesn't improve after a couple of days, then you may have an App or Apps not playing nice with your new setup. Apps like Better Battery Stats and CPU Spy can help narrow those issues down.

Regarding UnNamed ... it's an excellent ROM. I ran it longer than any other ROM on this phone yet. It's fast and stable. But keep in mind that it's no longer being developed, and it's on the EL13 base (the first ROM leak that ultimately finished with the official EL29). So you may start getting popups to update your phone to the latest firmware.

i was losing about 20% in 4 hours; stock i would get about a day and a half to two days of battery life

lilotimz

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
All you need to do is just install Calkulins Roms via recovery.

He has a built in script which automatically wipes whatever is required so us end users don't usually have to mess with anything. You only really want to manually wipe data, delvik cache, and the like when he says to do so. Anything else, just flash over and it'll be good.

*Side note* Such a big battery drain may mean something went wrong... what i usually do is flash the rom again to see if it fixes the issue.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Could you list what steps need to be done for us newbies?

Thanks

1. Download rom
2. Back up apps with Titanium or mybackup
3. Place rom on sd card
4. Reboot into recovery
5. Make a nandroid backup
6. Flash rom

No need to wipe cache or dalvik cache as Calk's updater script wipes those automatically(Most roms do this automatically, feel free to double check if you don't believe me). The backups of apps and nandroid are purely for emergency purposes. If you have force closes or it won't boot, boot to recovery wipe every thing and reflash. Then restore your apps.

Doing simple updates really doesn't require a wipe unless you have problems then wipe and reflash, no big deal. Switching from AOSP (Pure stock) to Touchwiz or going from ICS to GB will always require a wipe and in all likelihood restoring your data will cause the app to force close.

Even still with all that said, as long as you make backups you should be fine if you risk skipping a step. Just reboot to recovery, wipe, then reflash.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
been running ok; however I fully charged my phone at 5p last night and woke up at 6a for work dead; any suggestions?

Something was left running, or turned its self on. I suggest picking up CPU spy and a program monitor(can't think of one) to figure out if your phone is entering deep sleep and if it is not which app is causing the wake lock.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Something was left running, or turned its self on. I suggest picking up CPU spy and a program monitor(can't think of one) to figure out if your phone is entering deep sleep and if it is not which app is causing the wake lock.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

any suggestions? its been good for about a week plus; yesterdays was brutal

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19