My new Essential Ph 1 is freezing up or locking up

Robert0684

Mar 18, 2018
Visit site
My new Essential Ph 1 is freezing up or locking up and then it becomes a totally dead stick. Then I have to wait till it completely drains the battery and then I recharge it and then it comes back on. This has happened twice. Maybe its the Facebook app or Tumblr app. I don't know or maybe its the new Android program. All this started when I accepted the latest upload. I'm seriously considering going back to my old standard iPhone SE. It never gave me any of these annoying problems. I think I'm going to send this Essential Ph 1 back for full refund.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
My new Essential Ph 1 is freezing up or locking up and then it becomes a totally dead stick. Then I have to wait till it completely drains the battery and then I recharge it and then it comes back on. This has happened twice. Maybe its the Facebook app or Tumblr app. I don't know or maybe its the new Android program. All this started when I accepted the latest upload. I'm seriously considering going back to my old standard iPhone SE. It never gave me any of these annoying problems. I think I'm going to send this Essential Ph 1 back for full refund.

I suspect an errant application.
I don't use social media apps, but Facebook is a known resource hog on *ALL* platforms.

I ran 8.0B1, 8.0B3, 8.1B1 and now 8.1 release.
No issues as you describe.
I have close to 300 applications but no social media apps.

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

If this happens again, you don't have to wait for the battery to die. Prior to 8.1, this happened to me twice. You just need to hold the on/off button for 15-20 seconds. This should reboot your phone. There is a new feature, at least to me, where you can have a notification on your top bar that tells you what apps are using battery. This might help figure out which app is the issue.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
If this is happening after the last update, it may be one of those lovely bugs that happen when doing an ota update. It happens on all devices and all platforms including iPhone. What I suggest is doing a factory reset, or see if you can get the ota zip from essential and sideload the update via ADB.