Screen protectors.. is there really a difference?

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
So i have seen screen protectors from $5 for 3 all the way to $20 for 1... I am assuming they are all made from about the same 3M material....

Is there REALLY any difference between the cheaper ones and the expensive ones?

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I am unsure but when I got my EVO from the Sprint store they sold me a screen protector that was $14. I love it. It barely has any fingerprints and it just takes a quick wipe of the shirt to remove any smudges at all.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
The EVO doesn't really need a screen protector because it has a strengthened glass screen. I am very OCD about my gadgets and I am not scared at all to not use a screen protector. Now on my Palm Pre I have to use one because it is a plastic screen and scratches very easily. Save the money and get a good micro fiber cloth to wipe clean on a regular basis.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I swear by screen protectors- always have. The Zagg shield is one of the clearest and easiest to install I've used to date. Yes, it's pricier- but I have piece of mind with this. Phone surface is so glossy though - I think it may add a bit of eyestrain in certain lighting!

I actually turned back ON the ambient sensor which seemed to help a bit.

pdiddyfan79

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have a zagg on my evo right now, but I had a phantom skinz on my palm pre. I love those. They're smooth and look better if not more clearer than the zaggs. They have less yellowing effect and less friction. Only con is that u need a lil water to get them on. Also, to brandonc, how did u turn the ambient sensor back on? Do u mean auto brightness?

alan7467

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
There are plenty of differences between screen protectors. Some scratch easily, some self heal, some are smooth, some are really tacky. I've used a couple distinctly different types in the past.

Here's an example of a Boxwave. They go on really easily. Are smooth to the touch, and are super clear (but highly reflective). I've found them to be pretty tough, but they will scratch over time and need to be replaced:

EVO 4G Screen Protector / HTC EVO 4G Screen Protector / EVO 4G Invisible Screen Cover / HTC EVO 4G Screen Cover / EVO 4G Screen Film - ClearTouch Crystal

...and here's PhantomSkinz. These aren't quite as clear as the Boxwaves and they're a bit tacky (though not nearly as tacky as the Zagg InvisibleShields). They're also much harder to put on. One plus is that they are very tough, and do in fact self heal. So you probably won't have to ever replace it. If you get one I'd recommend the screen protection only. The sides and back pieces are a pain to put on:

Phantom Skinz - Clear and Matte-Finish Protection Film for HTC Evo 4G

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I swear by screen protectors- always have. The Zagg shield is one of the clearest and easiest to install I've used to date. Yes, it's pricier- but I have piece of mind with this. Phone surface is so glossy though - I think it may add a bit of eyestrain in certain lighting!

I actually turned back ON the ambient sensor which seemed to help a bit.

I have the Zagg one too... Its awesome... the Sprint ones my friend bought are krap the edge lifted already and dust got under... I doubt that will ever happen with this one... Its very solid little to no finger marks at alllll and im really bad about finger prints... it annoys me to no end... over all Zagg is the way to go... another $10 I could of got the Max protection one...

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I am unsure but when I got my EVO from the Sprint store they sold me a screen protector that was $14. I love it. It barely has any fingerprints and it just takes a quick wipe of the shirt to remove any smudges at all.

I agree. I bought the ones from Sprint. Very clear, very smooth and easy to apply. Didn't need water like some of them with the risk of phone damage that has happened.

Inexpensive and good quality so far.

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
The best part about the Zagg shield is how easy it is install. Putting it on the Pre was painfull. :)

As to the need for one, just because it is tempered glass doesn't mean that it is impervious to damage. :)

PanzyDog

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Screen protector? I dont get why everyone talks about sticking a cheap-ass piece of plastic on a high tech phone? What is this 1998?! It is not a Palm IV with a cheap 16 bit color plastic LCD!

Disgustoid

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Back on my Pre, I was a huge fan of bestskinsever. I know a lot of people don't like the orange peel effect these skins have but I absolutely loved the feel of it--it made the Pre really grippy and less like it was going to fly out of your hand inadvertently.

I just got my EVO but I'm not sure if I'm going to get a skin for it yet. The glass screen seems like can take a lot more punishment than the Pre's screen.

grizzly700

May 20, 2010
Visit site
the sprint ones come three to a pack for about 10 bucks...cover just the screen with no water needed....I have phantom but have not opened them,,,probably stick with sprint's covers....work good

I agree. I bought the ones from Sprint. Very clear, very smooth and easy to apply. Didn't need water like some of them with the risk of phone damage that has happened.

Inexpensive and good quality so far.

sYnOnYx

May 20, 2010
Visit site

I have this one too, its a 3 pack and even one of em is anti-glare !

its pre-cut aswell. I cant say enough good things about the ones from the sprint store !

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Anyone have a review of the stealth guard? I want it for my Evo since it covers the back too but will that protect it from falls like a rubber skin would? Thats only 10$ and a screen protector would cost me that alone. Also not to mention a skin for another 20$.

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered this from eBay for $2.50 on sale from $9.99 for 3 days only. I figure its cheap enough to try out, and if it sucks, who cares.

NEW XtremeGUARD™ HTC EVO 4G Premium Screen Protector - eBay (item 230483771117 end time Jul-04-10 16:02:20 PDT)

When you guys say "screen only" as opposed to "full body" are you talking about literally just the screen, or the complete front of the phone including the capacitive buttons?

Right now I have the standard screen protector that Sprint sells which feels great except it doesn't protect the buttons at the bottom. Anyone know how the seidio ultimate screen guard compares to these?