Verizon's 4gb of 4g LTE or AT&T's 'unlimited' throttled LTE

physicxnad

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Also posted this in the VZW thread to get their input:

So I have a dilemma, I recently left AT&T to Verizon to get on Verizon's unlimited plan through the loophole but in case I get audited and get put back to the 4gb plan I originally signed up for, I'm wondering if I should just go back to AT&T with their unlimited "throttled" LTE data plan that I originally had. I'm still in the time window where I can cancel my VZW contract w/o paying the ETF and eligible to reactivate my AT&T plan.

The main reason I left AT&T in the first place even though I had unlimited was that I got throttled after using 2gb of data on LTE which reduced my speeds to 200 kbps... which was just unacceptable. Luckily, their was a work around to get on the hspa+ network and use it during the throttling period, and it was pretty decent at about 5mpbs down/1mpbs up.... though nothing compared to what I was getting on LTE. I've had the gnex and VZW for about a week now and I love the phone, coming from a previous nexus one and skyrocket owner, and the LTE coverage is pretty expansive from southern california to the bay area. The 2 cons on VZW I've had are

1) 3g speeds are very slow, when I wasn't in areas of LTE I was getting about 1mpbs up/1 down compared to AT&T's solid 3g/hspa+ speed
2) LTE on the gnex is a battery killer for sure! Even with the extended battery, I was getting less battery life than I did on skyrocket on LTE.

I use around 4gb a month of data, sometimes more, sometimes less and use a lot of the streaming services. Decision is tough... although it would be easier to make if Verizon left my unlimited plan lol!

So for those on AT&T would you consider leaving for Verizon even if it meant being tiered and leaving your 'unlimited', albeit, throttled data plan? I would like your input.

Thanks!

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Well if you already left AT&T and took your number over to Verizon, your old account was canceled, and therefore you lost your grandfathered rate for the unlimited data plan.

As for the Unlimited throttled on AT&T, i have only seen users online complain about it once they reach over about 5gigs or more. That seems to be the thresh hold for the throttling.

physicxnad

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Even though I canceled my account with AT&T, I'm still able to reactivate it with the same terms as long as its within 60 days.

As for the unlimited throttle, I got throttled right after hitting 2 gbs with about 2 weeks to go in the billing cycle, there's been a varying degree of "thresholds" on when you get throttled. At this point though, I think I'll stick with Verizon and just hope my unlimited doesn't get reverted back to the tiered 4gb.

sdguy101

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I just got THE text message from AT&T that I'm approaching top 5%, It actually surprised me.

I checked my usage..................................................1.35GB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AT&T wants to throttle me already??? I'm at less than their 2GB plan, I'll be throttled before I even hit 2GB!

SO much for unlimited LTE data ATT!

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Why not try Sprint? That is If you got decent 4G Wimax coverage where you are?

Wimax in Honolulu ave between 7-12 MB Download and my 3G averages between 1.5-2.3 MB Download.

Not bad but good enough I feel till LTE goes live

And also Sprint LTE Is not here yet but in a couple of months? Looks really promising from the Speed test videos now surfacing on the net.

This is the Plan I currently have

Everything data 1500 shared plan with 2 Evo 4g's

1500 anytime minutes(lan lines). mobile to mobile(any carrier) unlimited, Unlimited data,text, if you lose Sprint's signal? Roaming on Verizon(free)( just set your network setting to automatic and it will lock you on to Verizon) so it is like your on Verizon anyways.

Plus 24% corporate discount= 134.00 a month total.

When I had a single line when I first got the Evo. My bill was around 77-78 dollars a month total with 450 anytime minutes(Lan Line) and unlimited everything.

I have used up between 9 -15 GB of data per month since Aug 2010 and have never had to worry no hassels.

Last edited:

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
+1

I have a co worker who hit the magic 5GB or whatever the number is? And was throttled 2 weeks into his billing cycle. He did say he got a email from At&T stating something about he was throttled because he was in the top something % for data usage.
Sorry I don't know the exact verbiage.However, this is what he relayed to me.

I can attest first hand The speeds were really,really,really slow.

It did reset in his next billing cycle though

Well if you already left AT&T and took your number over to Verizon, your old account was canceled, and therefore you lost your grandfathered rate for the unlimited data plan.

As for the Unlimited throttled on AT&T, i have only seen users online complain about it once they reach over about 5gigs or more. That seems to be the thresh hold for the throttling.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Throttling depends on usage in your area. If you're in a bigger metropolitan area, with a heavy concentration of AT&T users, the threshold is probably going to be higher. It will never be a set number, though, and most likely varies greatly each month.

That being said, I think it is criminal that they think they should be allowed to throttle customers that are paying more for their data package than all but the tethering package.

FrankAnthony3

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I am Pi**ed with AT&T....... I only used 2.1gigabytes on my unlimited data plan and they slowed down my phone to the point its almost useless. WTF!!!

I'm not even gonna get started on the fact that they said my LG Thrill would get an update in October. Also the salesmen and the box said its 4G and its not even real 4G.

Now until next month I have a text messaging phone. Way to go AT&T looks like im gonna have to buy out of this contract and go to Verizon and get there 5 gig deal. It really bothers me because I never used over 4 gigs with them and now my unlimited data plan means unusable data plan!

FrankAnthony3

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I am Pi**ed with AT&T....... I only used 2.1gigabytes on my unlimited data plan and they slowed down my phone to the point its almost useless. WTF!!!

I'm not even gonna get started on the fact that they said my LG Thrill would get an update in October. Also the salesmen and the box said its 4G and its not even real 4G.

Now until next month I have a text messaging phone. Way to go AT&T looks like im gonna have to buy out of this contract and go to Verizon and get there 5 gig deal. It really bothers me because I never used over 4 gigs with them and now my unlimited data plan means unusable data plan!

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
One of the reasons I left my AT&T unlimited plan. I had an iPhone with AT&T and enjoyed it but the 3g speeds were nothing great. When my contract was up was right as many were assuming the iP 5 was going to come out. At the time I was considering switching to Android and the 4s release made that decision pretty easy. The problem was I did not like any of the AT&T Android phones. The GSII is nice but my friend in Germany had his since the Spring - I wanted to get the latest and greatest if I was going to have to live with it for two years.

The next issue was the network - AT&T is still 3G in my area, may have HSPA+ sometime this spring - maybe they said. Who knows about LTE (the AT&T folks said 18-24 months) and with no TMobile AT&T has an uphill fight to get enough LTE spectrum. Verizon is LTE in the local area with great coverage (when it stays up).

The last factor was my family - I was going to move my daughters to smart phones. On AT&T they would be limited to 2 GB. By switching to Verizon they got 4GB. Yes I am not at 4GB, but for my usage this works great. From everything I see on AT&T they are going to do everything they can to get people off unlimited plans.

End of the day - we used the $.01 deal at Amazon to get three $299 Android phones for $.03 over thanksgiving weekend last year. So far I have been very happy with my choice. The network speeds I get on LTE here are fantastic.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87