So i jumped ship from Sprint/gs3 and picked up a nexus 5 and the 30 dollar plan from T-Mobile (still hard to believe this plan even exists).

I follow the headlines so was aware of the 'free' tethering option from Tmo pre-paid. I've got my account set up and running smoothly and installed the Tmo My Account app, which is pretty awesome if I do say so myself.

My question/concern is the tethering "use" within the app. After about two days of use i've allocated approximately 381.2 MB of data and so it says 6.0 MB of Mobile Hotspot /100 MB Use.

The only problem is I have not turned this feature on in my Nexus 5 or even set up the hotspot and have surely not attached any other wi-fi enabled device i own to it.

My initial thought was I've technically used 387.2 MB of data and it just shows this way? Either way, I'm curious to know if anyone has experienced this and if there is a quick fix or a need for one as i would love to talk with T-Mobile directly as little as possible.

My apologies if this has been posted before as searching it didn't really return any helpful information, or my Goolgefu is seriously lacking.

Edit: Also Happy Holidays!
    11-29-2013 05:44 PM
    I like the plan but was immediately throttled after 5 GB. They send u text message stating further data will be at 2g speeds. 5 GB of 4g is not enough if u tether or watch movies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    11-29-2013 05:52 PM
    Yea, the plans not for everyone. I use it for casual browsing, emails etc. No streaming movies or tethering.
    11-29-2013 06:19 PM
    I like the plan but was immediately throttled after 5 GB. They send u text message stating further data will be at 2g speeds. 5 GB of 4g is not enough if u tether or watch movies.

This is for old plans.... If you get unlimited you are unlimited.

To the OP... I've noticed T-Mobile's tethering always adds some everyday. Not sure why.. But it does. I simply rooted and downloaded a modified APK so I can use unlimited tether.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Tethering Data Shows Usage T-Mobile My Account App When Not Used??-1385771872357.jpg  
    11-29-2013 07:37 PM
    That is some kind of bug in their reporting. I saw the same thing on the $30 plan. I don't belief that plan actually supports the hot spot feature, or domestic data roaming. All the other Prepaid plans do though.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-30-2013 03:49 PM

That is because the plan clearly states 5GB of high speed data. It is not unlimited high speed. This is still a great deal for most users. If you plan on streaming video you need the $70 unlimited 4G plan.

- - - Updated - - -

That is some kind of bug in their reporting. I saw the same thing on the $30 plan. I don't belief that plan actually supports the hot spot feature, or domestic data roaming. All the other Prepaid plans do though.

Posted via Android Central App
    That is correct. The $30 plan does not include tethering.
    12-01-2013 02:28 PM
    Thanks for the replies folks. Hopefully it is a bug and wont cause any issues. I've checked the data usage in the setting and Hotspot or tether does not show as being used at all. Thanks for the pic Almeuit as I should have checked there first. Guess the Tmo app just has a bug!
    12-02-2013 01:58 PM
    That is because the plan clearly states 5GB of high speed data. It is not unlimited high speed. This is still a great deal for most users. If you plan on streaming video you need the $70 unlimited 4G plan.

- - - Updated - - -

That is not correct for everyone. I get tethering on my N4 using the plan.

In fact I purposely have not upgraded to kitkat because some N4 owners have reported kk stops the tethering in some cases.
    Currently up to about 1.2 GB on this month plan and most of that is using my phone as a hotspot for my tablet.
    12-03-2013 12:19 AM

In fact I purposely have not upgraded to kitkat because some N4 owners have reported kk stops the tethering in some cases.
    Currently up to about 1.2 GB on this month plan and most of that is using my phone as a hotspot for my tablet.
    What plan do you have? Kit Kat does not break tethering if you have it on your plan.
    12-03-2013 11:53 AM

Tethering is allowed up to 2.5 GB so it wouldn't stop till you pass that.

That is unless you root and download a modified APK.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Tethering Data Shows Usage T-Mobile My Account App When Not Used??-1386098460945.jpg  
    12-03-2013 02:21 PM

- - - Updated - - -

All pre paid plans include tethering now.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)
    12-08-2013 07:57 PM