Droid maxx any good?

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the droid DNA and I'm pretty happy with it. Just seeing what other peoples opinion on the maxx. Thank you

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I highly recommend it. I think it is the best phone you can buy right now, it just doesn't get much press since it is Verizon only and saddled with the Droid brand (which I don't care about one way or the other but for a lot of people it isn't perceived positively anymore.)

Reasons this phone is awesome:
  • Battery life - you can have on all the features you want and never have to charge during the day.. if you pare it down you can make two days
  • Build quality - the soft kevlar back just feels good, construction is solid
  • Snappy UI performance/vanilla android - phone never feels slow or laggy
  • Very useful software additions - active display, touchless controls, quick camera launch.
  • Wireless charging - not a must have, but a very convenient
  • Speakers / speaker phone are good (though not as good as the HTC One)
  • Just my unscientific opinion, but the radios seem better -- near zero dropped calls and better audio call quality
Reasons not to get it - if these things are key for you in a smartphone
  • Top performance in things like 3d gaming, S4 or HTC one is better. However, those phones often have lag for general use activities (especially the S4) - navigating the UI, launching camera, etc. The Maxx never does.
  • The screen is plenty good but is not the best out there - I think that goes to either the HTC one or LG G2
  • The camera is just ok, the S4 or LG G2 are much better if that is what you are after. I do love the quick camera launch and simplified camera app on the droids and moto x though - no phone is easier to take quick pictures with. The camera app does not have all the bells and whistles though if you are an avid photographer.
  • Other phones also offer a lot of other niche bells and whistles - IR port, SD card slot, etc. Not stuff most will use a lot, but it might be a decision factor for you.
  • Size/weight - if you don't want a phone that is large like the HTC One or S4 (Maxx is similar size to these but is even heavier), then go with the 32GB Moto X - essentially the same software and features and screen tech/resolution but smaller and lighter (though you give up some of the better battery life and wireless charging)

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the review! I'll probably go pick one up and try it for a few days.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app