T-Mobile: New Plans

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: New Plans

I currently pay 70.00 unlimited everything with 2.5GB tether
On 3/23 you can get unlimited everthing + 1GB tether for 50.00 bucs.
That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

But, the unlimited data with the 50 dollar plan only includes 1GB of 4G data. After that, you're throttled until the next billing cycle, unless you up your tier mid-cycle.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Huh? No...

You pay 70 for unlimited.. Unthrottled data with 2.5 GB of tether.

On 3/23 you can get unlimited talk and text with 1 GB of data (then throttled) for 50.00.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site

Just upped my plan from 2.5 gb to unlimited. Unlimited data goes up $10 on 3/23/14. I know you get double the tethering allowance on the new plan, but I never tether since I got the note 3!

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

It is a bit deceptive, imo. It says double data, but it only applies to core. I bet most people don't realize that they meant only the lowest tier.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

This plan is a win for everyone except perhaps for the people who have unlimited data and *use* a lot of it. Everyone else gets a better data allowance, and something else major that this thread seems to be missing: unlimited international texting. This is big - with the world growing smaller, more and more of us have friends, colleagues and contacts abroad.

Personally, I'm on the $30, 5GB data + 100 minutes + unlimited nationwide texting plan. This suffices for me, but honestly speaking the new $50 plan looks awfully tempting to me. Yes, it'd be a drop from 5 gigs to 1 gig of data, but I wouldn't have to worry about running out of minutes, and I can pretty well swing it on 1 gig (but I couldn't on 500 MB) despite being a fairly heavy data user, since I have ample wifi access. Right now, I sometimes watch videos at the gym but I don't bother to download them ahead of time (such as making certain videos available offline on YouTube, for example). But I certainly could. I also sometimes download a ton of podcasts using mobile data just because I fee like I have to get close to the 5 gigs I'm paying for. But I could just stick to downloading those on wifi.

The international texting would be worth it for me as I have family in India and a few friends in Europe I really would like to reconnect with. And I wonder if in six months' time, we are going to get an announcement that Simple Choice plans will also start including Stateside Talk, instead of just text.

Unlimited mobile data on the cheap was always going to go away. With usage at the high end going up severely and a small percentage finding ways to use even more data by evading tethering limits, people who are better at data management at some point needed to stop subsidizing the higher end users.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

The only thing I'd like to add to this is something similar to Sprint's Framily plan. Sprint's data is crappy, but they did a good job with this - allow us to do a family plan but separate the bills. I could easily bring 3 or 4 additional people with me if that were the case.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I think there's an article on CNET that states that current unlimited customers have the ability to retain the plan or to go with the new one.

Either way, this plan is a win-win for customers, especially the 1 gb data which allows tmobile to compete directly with sprints framily plan that starts off at 1 gb with no tethering/intertional roaming or texting/ or stateside international texting.

WIN-WIN, only reason to be a petty loser about this is if you're a Verizon/ATT sharedholder

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
All current simple choice plans are unlimited everything including core, but depending on level, may be throttled after a certain amount of data is reached .

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
All current simple choice plans are unlimited everything including core, but depending on level, may be throttled after a certain amount of data is reached.
Right, I think that's understood. We're talking about the limits to high speed data.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Bumping the tethering from 2.5 to 5gb at the $70 tier is a way to make the new soft cap look more palatable, but the only class of people it actually benefits are those that use under 5gb total and over 2.5gb tethering per month. New customers that would have gone with the old $70 plan will overwhelmingly pay at least as much under the new plans, since only those who routinely use between 2.5 and 3gb of data monthly will prefer the new $60 plan to the new $70 or $80 plans.

The most realistic opportunity for actual savings is in the new $50 plan. Low data users who nevertheless routinely exceed the 500mb mark will likely be able to stick with the $50 plan now where they might have bumped up to $60 in the past. This is still only a 500mb window of savings, but since the floor here is lower, it represents a higher percentage increase, which means a customer in this neighborhood is more likely to fall within the relevant boundaries.

The bottom line is that a new customer with a given need for data is probably going to pay as much as they would have previously, and those that need more than 5gb will now be paying $10 more per month. Like it or hate it, this is a clear revenue play by T-Mobile.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely, this is a calculated measure to make a price increase hidden by adding features. But I am sure tmobile figured that they would gain financially from the change otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Bumping the tethering from 2.5 to 5gb at the $70 tier is a way to make the new soft cap look more palatable, but the only class of people it actually benefits are those that use under 5gb total and over 2.5gb tethering per month. Not only that, but new customers that would have gone with the old $70 plan will overwhelmingly pay at least as much under the new plans, since only those who routinely use between 2.5 and 3gb of data monthly would prefer the new $60 plan.

Like it or hate it, this is a clear revenue play by T-Mobile.

pretty sure current customers have the option of the old unlimited plan or new plan

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
pretty sure current customers have the option of the old unlimited plan or new plan

Yes old customers would be grandfathered by default. They can choose to move to the new plan if so desired

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I also went back and elaborated on my original post. Don't worry, the original bit still says the same thing. :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty