Verizon Early Edge trick/scam

gurupundit

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Folks I have one more year to go in my contract and I wanted to upgrade to the new iphone 6. Last week I log into my Verizon and I see I can do an early edge upgrade. I went ahead and did that and my new phone arrived and the contract shows I'm on the new Verizon edge payment plan. No where in the upgrade process it notified me or returning my old device. I contacted customer service twice and I've been getting conflicting answers. I have a feeling that for sure Verizon will want me to send back my old device, if that's that case I would want to return the new iphone since I'm loosing money by turning in my old iphone. Any one knows how this early edge upgrade works? Are the CSR's intentionally being not clear on the policy so that the customer does not change his/her mind?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Are the CSR's intentionally being not clear on the policy
Most of Verizon's CSRs don't know the policy, and aren't smart enough to deliberately fool an intelligent 5 year old. It's a case of what they don't know (which is almost everything) they make up. So you get conflicting answers.

Take it to a Verizon customer store. Ask to speak to the manager. Ask him or her what the policy is. If s/he says you don't have to turn the old phone in, ask if you can get that in writing. (If you do, Verizon will stand behind it - they have to, since it forms a legal contract - even if the manager gets fired.) If not, ask who you can speak to in order to get the definitive answer.

If no one, write to Verizon Communications, 140 West Street, New York, NY 10007, Attention Lowell C. McAdam. Mark the envelope Private and confidential. (One of his underlings will open it anyway, but at least the mail room won't put it at the bottom of a pile that won't be read until 2018.) Tell him that since you get a different answer from every Verizon employee you ask, you'd like Verizon's official answer as to whether you have to turn in your old phone. (If he says you don't have to and someone tells you to turn it in, just send them a copy of the letter with a note that their boss says you don't have to. No one is going to contradict a written letter from their boss, unless they do it on their letter of resignation.)

(Always go to the top if you have this kind of problem. The worst that can happen is that you don't get a response and wasted half a dollar.)

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You have to turn it in, I'm quite sure it states that on the website. One way you may be able to get around that is to activate an old smartphone, and then turn that in. I did that back in the spring with a Samsung fascinate while keeping my year old S5 which I then sold.

Posted via Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
You have to turn it in, I'm quite sure it states that on the website. One way you may be able to get around that is to activate an old smartphone, and then turn that in. I did that back in the spring with a Samsung fascinate while keeping my year old S5 which I then sold.

From my understanding is you don't have to IF you went from contract to EDGE . Of course you have to if you upgrade early with edge like if you bought the iPhone 5 on edge and then wanted the iPhone 6.

My brother broke his S4 and was only half way through his contract with AT&T and went onto next and got the note 4 . It's generally the same thing and I know he didn't have to give in his s4. I would think the same applies for Verizon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Things may have changed, but I was given the same offer early this year before my last contract was up. To early upgrade via edge, the fine print did say you had to turn in the current phone in good working order. I'd expect that to still be a requirement.

I didn't take the offer and went edge after my contract was up and didn't have to turn in the old phone.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
They probably do require you to turn in a phone, because they're letting you off your contract early. If you simply started edge as a new costumer, you wouldn't have to give up a phone as a requirement.

ver1zondood

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
I work at Verizon. The confusion seems to be between Edge and Early Edge. If you are not in contract and go to edge you do not have to turn in that device. If you are in contract and are eligible for EARLY Edge you have to turn in your device. If your ordering online make sure you read th Early Edge Agreement details. In my experience, if you have an old ****ty device or basic phone they dont ask for you to trade it in.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
When i did an early edge upgrade last year it said you had to turn in the active phone. So I activated an old phone (Samsung fascinate) for a couple of days, then did my upgrade and sent back the fascinate. I was able to keep my then 1yr old phone. No problems.

Hillary Dabbs

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
When i did an early edge upgrade last year it said you had to turn in the active phone. So I activated an old phone (Samsung fascinate) for a couple of days, then did my upgrade and sent back the fascinate. I was able to keep my then 1yr old phone. No problems.

I also work for verizon and I am VERY knowledgable with edge. If it is early edge and you have a smart phone then yes you need to return it. It must be in good working cl sit ion with no cracks,physical or liquid damage. If it is damaged or not returned then you will receive a charge on your bill between $100-300 depending on how new the device is.

If it is early edge with a basic to smart phone then no you do not have to return it.

If it is edge (out of two year contract or new line and you chose to do the edge options) then no, you do not have to return your phone.

To this poster, we Used to use this trick often but as of 10/15/14 they no longer allow it. The device returned must be the device that was active on the line when it became eligible for the early edge promotion.

To the original poster: edge is not a scam. For some it os a good option. In some cases you actually spend less on a phone than you would a two year contract.

Example. You are on a 6 gb plan for $70. You would like to get an iPhone 6 16 gb. At my store this phone is $27.50 a month. Being on a 6gb or higher plan verizon gives you a $25 discount for being in the edge program. At my store you pay $69 in store for the phone for taxes and services fees and then it is an additional $2.50 on your bill (40 line acess fee minus 25 discount =15 +27.50=42.50 vs 40 on a two year contract) multiply that by 24 months which is how long the agreement is for plus what you pay in store is $129 vs 240 (200 for phone 40 upgrade fee) on a two year contract.

Now if you were on a 4gb or lower plan you only get a $15 discount so your bills technically would go up 12.50 so multiply that by 24 plus what you pay in store equals 369 far more than the 240 you would pay on a two year contract.

Each situation is unique and I find myself almost always drawing a chart to explain it correctly to my customers. It's worth it to go into a store and have a rep one on one explain it to you. Just be sure that they are up to date. Telecommunications company's policies and plans change often.

Everything I quoted became effective 2/5/15 and is still effective until further notice as of 2/13/15

Hope I helped!!!

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I also work for verizon and I am VERY knowledgable with edge. If it is early edge and you have a smart phone then yes you need to return it. It must be in good working cl sit ion with no cracks,physical or liquid damage. If it is damaged or not returned then you will receive a charge on your bill between $100-300 depending on how new the device is.

If it is early edge with a basic to smart phone then no you do not have to return it.

If it is edge (out of two year contract or new line and you chose to do the edge options) then no, you do not have to return your phone.

To this poster, we Used to use this trick often but as of 10/15/14 they no longer allow it. The device returned must be the device that was active on the line when it became eligible for the early edge promotion.

To the original poster: edge is not a scam. For some it os a good option. In some cases you actually spend less on a phone than you would a two year contract.

Example. You are on a 6 gb plan for $70. You would like to get an iPhone 6 16 gb. At my store this phone is $27.50 a month. Being on a 6gb or higher plan verizon gives you a $25 discount for being in the edge program. At my store you pay $69 in store for the phone for taxes and services fees and then it is an additional $2.50 on your bill (40 line acess fee minus 25 discount =15 +27.50=42.50 vs 40 on a two year contract) multiply that by 24 months which is how long the agreement is for plus what you pay in store is $129 vs 240 (200 for phone 40 upgrade fee) on a two year contract.

Now if you were on a 4gb or lower plan you only get a $15 discount so your bills technically would go up 12.50 so multiply that by 24 plus what you pay in store equals 369 far more than the 240 you would pay on a two year contract.

Each situation is unique and I find myself almost always drawing a chart to explain it correctly to my customers. It's worth it to go into a store and have a rep one on one explain it to you. Just be sure that they are up to date. Telecommunications company's policies and plans change often.

Everything I quoted became effective 2/5/15 and is still effective until further notice as of 2/13/15

Hope I helped!!!

Or better yet the Motorola droid turbo on edge is $24.99 so if your on the 6gb plan or higher you get a $25 discount on the $40 phone access charge . So this means instead of paying $200 for the phone on s 2 year contract and paying $40 for the access charge your paying around $60 for sales tax and then nothing extra since the discount is $25 a month . This way your only spending $60 or so out of pocket for the turbo vs $240 if you include sales tax for the phone on 2 year contract and then the $35 or so activation or upgrade fee? If your getting a phone that's cheaper then your paying even less per month.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Me personally I would never do it. I think it is crazy and more expensive in the long run to lease a phone rather than buy it. I also can not understand why people need a new phone every year. The only time I will consider it is if it was a very expensive phone and if after paying off the phone I could keep the phone rather than give it back to the store when it is paid off. If I pay for it I am going to keep it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Me personally I would never do it. I think it is crazy and more expensive in the long run to lease a phone rather than buy it. I also can not understand why people need a new phone every year. The only time I will consider it is if it was a very expensive phone and if after paying off the phone I could keep the phone rather than give it back to the store when it is paid off. If I pay for it I am going to keep it.

How is it more expensive specially on the more everything plans ? It's actually cheaper or around the same depending on the phone . As I said above the Motorola droid the monthly price is the same as the discount you get for using edge on 6gb or higher plans which means up front cost is only $70 or so vs $200 for the 2 year contract price .

The iPhone 5s and 5c are 2 phones cheaper then $25 a month so your saving more money getting it on edge then getting it "Free" for a 2year contract. Your paying about $27 dollars more a month for the iPhone 5s for a 2 year contract vs edge payments. On edge the iPhone 5s payments is $22.15 or something around that and discount is $25.

The reason why I got the Motorola droid turbo when I got onto Verizon was because it was the same price as discount but only had to front $70 or so in sales tax of the full price but didn't like phone. I got a Samsung Galaxy note 4 which is $29 so I'm paying $4 dollars more but I can always pay it off early or wait till I paid 75% to upgrade early .

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info
Do you have to get a new phone when you pay off the one you have? I wish after you make the payments the phone is yours and you do not have to give it back to them. I will not do another 2 year contract as you end up paying around same price.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The edge plan is a 2 year device payment plan with the option to upgrade early. Should you fulfill the 2 year term, then the phone is yours to keep.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info
Do you have to get a new phone when you pay off the one you have? I wish after you make the payments the phone is yours and you do not have to give it back to them. I will not do another 2 year contract as you end up paying around same price.

No ...you can keep that phone till you die or whenever Verizon decides to turn off their 4G LTE network in favor of 10G or whatever