Can I have more then one wireless carrier?

Michael Prymula

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
So a few years ago my sister gave me her old Android phone which has the older unlimited data plan and i'm currently using it as a hotspot for my internet, but she wants to get Sprint to use herself. So I was just wondering, would it at all be possible for us to have both Sprint and Verizon at the same time? If so I could continue to pay for the Verizon plan myself so I could continue to make use of it, and my sister could pay for the Sprint service and use it for her own stuff(we both live in the same house in case you're wondering).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you're using her old phone on her Verizon account, and she has a newer phone that is also on her Verizon account, then that means she is paying for two different lines (and is presumably paying for the line you're using on her old phone). If she cancels her Verizon account and joins Sprint, you won't be able to keep using the phone she gave you, because the service to that phone will be cut off. And it's unlikely that you could unlock that phone and bring it to Sprint. You wouldn't be able to use both Verizon and Sprint on the same phone.

If you're talking about taking over her Verizon account, I'm guessing that they won't let you do that, since they were probably just letting her keep that older unlimited data plan as a grandfather clause. If the account were to change hands, they would likely force you to choose one of their newer plans. But I might be wrong -- you should talk to Verizon yourself to see what your options are.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
She could also just port out the number she wants to take to Sprint and leave the existing line on the plan for the unlimited data. I did that last year - I re-assumed liability of my line from my employer, putting it on a family plan so that I had "control" over the line and the account it was on, then ported the number off Verizon to Project Fi leaving the other 3 lines still on the family plan.

You could have a line with every major carrier and MVNO if you want, they don't care as long as they get paid every month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non