Adding more lines to a family plan

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I started a family plan with sprint last year with 2 lines (me & wife). I am planning to add a third line for my daughter in the near future. When I went on the sprint website to look at phones for adding a line to share minutes I realized that the prices were for the discounted phones (rebates and such) I went as far as adding one to the cart to make sure the price stuck, it did.

This brings up a few questions.
1. Am I starting a new contract? I signed a 2 year contract June 2010?
2. Can I use this dicounted pricing to buy myself the Evo 3D or Nexus 4G and give my old phone (Intercept) to my daughter, while keeping my current number?
3. Will I still be able to keep the upgrades I am due in 2012 after using the upgraded pricing in 2011(the upgrade pricing was not linked to either existing number on the account)?
4. Am I being a dick by giving my daughter the Intercept while I enjoy the new hotness? (just kidding about this one)
5. Does it matter what kind of phone ( feature or smartphone ) plan wise since we are on the Everything Data. It is still the $19.99 additional line charge, correct? There is no additional data charge (other than the $10 4G tax)? The plan price is the same regardless of phone type.

Thanks for the input.

mtbykr

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I started a family plan with sprint last year with 2 lines (me & wife). I am planning to add a third line for my daughter in the near future. When I went on the sprint website to look at phones for adding a line to share minutes I realized that the prices were for the discounted phones (rebates and such) I went as far as adding one to the cart to make sure the price stuck, it did.

This brings up a few questions.
1. Am I starting a new contract? I signed a 2 year contract June 2010?
2. Can I use this dicounted pricing to buy myself the Evo 3D or Nexus 4G and give my old phone (Intercept) to my daughter, while keeping my current number?
3. Will I still be able to keep the upgrades I am due in 2012 after using the upgraded pricing in 2011(the upgrade pricing was not linked to either existing number on the account)?
4. Am I being a dick by giving my daughter the Intercept while I enjoy the new hotness? (just kidding about this one)
5. Does it matter what kind of phone ( feature or smartphone ) plan wise since we are on the Everything Data. It is still the $19.99 additional line charge, correct? There is no additional data charge (other than the $10 4G tax)? The plan price is the same regardless of phone type.

Thanks for the input.

1: You are starting a new contract for the 3rd line

2: Yes you can get a new phone and switch numbers leaving your old phone for your daughter

3: Each phone number has it's own upgrade time, this should not change

4: Yes :D

5: Don't know about this one, sorry

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I was pretty sure about most of those. I know I could have called Sprint, but I trust you guys more than I trust them.

tsnum4

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the input.

2. Please be aware that if you do this prior to the rebate being processed, you will not get the rebate. In order to qualify for the rebate, the new phone must stay connected to the number with which it was purchased until the rebate is processed. After the rebate is processed you can swap the numbers out.

5. If you have the everything data plan, the add a line is 19.99 even if it it not a smart phone.

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
1-4 yes

5. if you add a smart phone its $20 + $10 for unlimited data. If you add a feature phone its $20

I plan on giving my daughter my old Intercept. Lucky for her. Way more phone than she needs, but daddy wants an Evo 3D. I am to lazy to go through the trouble of selling the Intercept just to turn around and buy feature phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38