How can I set App data storage to SD card on LG G8 in Android 10?

WJB49

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help regarding this problem I recently upgraded to an LG G8 (with Android 10) from a G6 and have not found the setting to use App data storage on the SD card for specific apps, i.e. YouTube, Maps, etc. I do not want to install apps on the SD card, only the app data. On the G6 I could select external storage in the App Info section in "Settings" for specific apps, this option is not available for any apps on the G8. Am I looking in the wong place or has Verizon disabled this feature? This has made the SD card practically useless.

Thanks.

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Am I looking in the wong place or has Verizon disabled this feature?

Neither. I believe this option was deprecated (removed) in later versions of Android than the G6 was running. It's also possible LG has chosen not to continue implementing the code that had previously been included to add it (since OEMs often add features not included in base Android) with the implementation on the G8.

WJB49

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Neither. I believe this option was deprecated (removed) in later versions of Android than the G6 was running. It's also possible LG has chosen not to continue implementing the code that had previously been included to add it (since OEMs often add features not included in base Android) with the implementation on the G8.

hallux, thanks for your reply. This is a real bummer. As I said in my OP, it makes the SD card practically useless.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Just to be sure -- have you looked in each app's individual settings menus to see if they have an option to use the SD card for storage?

@hallux, are you referring to the "Move to SD" feature on older versions of Android? I'm pretty sure more recent versions still allow apps to use the SD card for data storage -- on my Lenovo Tab 4 8" running Oreo, I can set the SD card as data storage for apps like Kindle and Hoopla (using options in those apps' own settings). But that's different from the old Move to SD feature that could actually move a bit more of the app over to the SD card (but never the whole thing).

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
@hallux, are you referring to the "Move to SD" feature on older versions of Android? I'm pretty sure more recent versions still allow apps to use the SD card for data storage -- on my Lenovo Tab 4 8" running Oreo, I can set the SD card as data storage for apps like Kindle and Hoopla (using options in those apps' own settings). But that's different from the old Move to SD feature that could actually move a bit more of the app over to the SD card (but never the whole thing).

Yeah, the only selection for data storage that I'm directly familiar with is within the settings accessible within apps such as Netflix and Amazon Video, it's a selection to store cached videos on SD or internal storage. I had never played with the option to move app data to SD from within the Settings > Apps > app name at the device level. I just checked, that option IS there on my Tab S3. I never really played with it because my phone doesn't have an SD card and my tablet has 128 GB of internal storage so I never really needed to start managing capacity on the internal storage. I have a Tab S7 on order that has 256 GB of storage, I may not even install an SD card in that one...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But that still could include downloaded content from apps like Kindle, as well as music and video apps (which might be considered app data).

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Some apps that use lots of storage space (camera, games, GPS, maps) allow there data to be put on the SD card by use of settings inside the individual apps.

WJB49

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. It appears that LG, Verizon or Google (Android) has eliminated the ability to select external storage, SD card, for app data in this version of Android. As a number of you recommended, I looked in the settings of apps that use a great amount of data and found I could select external storage. Surprisingly, YouTube doesn't offer this option.

Again, thanks to all who helped with this problem.:)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Surprisingly, YouTube doesn't offer this option.

It does. I checked on my Lenovo Tab 4 8". Tap your profile picture at the upper right, then scroll down to Settings, then Background & Downloads. Turn on the toggle for Use SD Card.

WJB49

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
It does. I checked on my Lenovo Tab 4 8". Tap your profile picture at the upper right, then scroll down to Settings, then Background & Downloads. Turn on the toggle for Use SD Card.

It appears that the version I have, 15.35.41, does not have this feature. I did not find Background and Downloads under Settings.

Thanks much.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps, but the YouTube settings interface is pretty different from most other Google apps, so just want to make sure the OP is looking in the right place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87