Hearing Aids and Bluetooth

PriceJM72

Nov 7, 2020
Visit site
I am hard of hearing, have been since I was a four. I wear hearing aids. I'm in the market for new hearing aids. Regardless of the hearing aid manufacturer, it appears that all hearing aids require a mediating device between the Android phone and the hearing aids (called a streamer or connector). Apple does not require such a mediating device. I am NOT about to switch to Apple, but I must admit, wearing a streamer is a frustrating hassle, and this is causing me to consider/think about Apple.

Two questions: does anyone know WHY Android's Bluetooth will not directly connect to hearing aids without a mediating device, and secondly, is there a way around that and connect directly to the hearing aids with my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S10e)?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It requires special hardware being built into the phone. With Iphone it's easy because they are the only ones using IOS.

Incidentally, streaming through a device is a nice option but it eats up the hearing aid batteries especially if you're using it to listen to music or podcasts. The sound quality for music is also just not that great.

PriceJM72

Nov 7, 2020
Visit site
I've found that to be true as well, my batteries die in three days instead of six if I use my streamer with my current hearing aids. The sound quality, though, is actually very good. Having the sound in my ears allows me to hear the lyrics over the noise/sound of the music. I really just don't want to have use an obvious streamer. I don't see why Android devices can't include that built-in hardware.

It requires special hardware being built into the phone. With Iphone it's easy because they are the only ones using IOS.

Incidentally, streaming through a device is a nice option but it eats up the hearing aid batteries especially if you're using it to listen to music or podcasts. The sound quality for music is also just not that great.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've found that to be true as well, my batteries die in three days instead of six if I use my streamer with my current hearing aids. The sound quality, though, is actually very good. Having the sound in my ears allows me to hear the lyrics over the noise/sound of the music. I really just don't want to have use an obvious streamer. I don't see why Android devices can't include that built-in hardware.
Because it's not Android that's the issue. It's the OEMs that have to include the hardware.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There are now hearing aids that stream directly with Android phones. You'll need to talk to your audiologist to find out which options are available. However, this article has some good information. https://www.ziphearing.com/blog/bluetooth-hearing-aids/
Good article but there are a few issues at hand which complicate things. Some of of the current hearing aids that can communicate with Android devices require that the OEM include hardware that supports the hearing aid so not all Android devices will work. I can't even name one that does. Then another hearing aid that is mentioned in the article that claims that it will work with all Android but that requires buying that specific hearing aid. A new set of hearing aids may run 6000 or more. Even if it's covered by insurance, your plan has limits to as to how often you are eligible for a new pair. Yes, there are solutions, however it requires several things to line up. The easiest solution is iphone unfortunately. It just works and it's not that iphones are bad but they aren't Android.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Good article but there are a few issues at hand which complicate things. Some of of the current hearing aids that can communicate with Android devices require that the OEM include hardware that supports the hearing aid so not all Android devices will work. I can't even name one that does. Then another hearing aid that is mentioned in the article that claims that it will work with all Android but that requires buying that specific hearing aid. A new set of hearing aids may run 6000 or more. Even if it's covered by insurance, your plan has limits to as to how often you are eligible for a new pair. Yes, there are solutions, however it requires several things to line up. The easiest solution is iphone unfortunately. It just works and it's not that iphones are bad but they aren't Android.
It will work with Samsung devices S10 or newer.

That's why I suggested that the OP ask his audiologist. Typically, hearing aids are replaced after 3 years, since that is when the warranty expires. The audiologist will know which devices are Android compatible.

I know this from personal experience, since I wear hearing aids.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It will work with Samsung devices S10 or newer.

That's why I suggested that the OP ask his audiologist. Typically, hearing aids are replaced after 3 years, since that is when the warranty expires. The audiologist will know which devices are Android compatible.

I know this from personal experience, since I wear hearing aids.

Me too....and a little over a year ago nothing was compatible with Android. Still, very limiting especially since not every audiologist carries every brand. I'm only missing some high frequency sounds so I'm OK without streaming and for my usage streaming would eat batteries much too quickly anyway. For music, if I'm not using headphones I take them out and use ear buds. Though a couple of times I've put buds in without removing the hearing aids by mistake. I equalize the sound to boost the highs. Interestingly the new Samsung buds live fit with hearing aids in place so that's another option for me.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Me too....and a little over a year ago nothing was compatible with Android. Still, very limiting especially since not every audiologist carries every brand. I'm only missing some high frequency sounds so I'm OK without streaming and for my usage streaming would eat batteries much too quickly anyway. For music, if I'm not using headphones I take them out and use ear buds. Though a couple of times I've put buds in without removing the hearing aids by mistake. I equalize the sound to boost the highs. Interestingly the new Samsung buds live fit with hearing aids in place so that's another option for me.
I don't care about streaming music, since I have a music setting on mine that I use when listening to music on my stereo, and otherwise I'll use headphones. I'm lucky because my audiologist carries all the major brands. But yeah, the ones I have are 2½ years old, so no streaming. I don't really feel that I would use streaming anyway, but it's something that I might look into next year. I have rechargeable hearing aids, so I'll probably be due for new ones due to the batteries wearing out.

blak8830

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Phonak currently makes hearing aids that work with Android phones, without needing an intermediate device.
They work fine with my Moto X4, haven't tested with my G6 Play, but it's also supposed to be compatible.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Phonak currently makes hearing aids that work with Android phones, without needing an intermediate device.
They work fine with my Moto X4, haven't tested with my G6 Play, but it's also supposed to be compatible.
Yes....they were listed in the link Laura posted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez