How do you stop an app, for good?

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I get messages from my phone stating my Sam's Club app is using up my battery when not the app is not in use. When I check, it is running. I manually stop it. When I look a short time later it has restarted itself.

How can I stop it and keep it stopped until I need it?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
How can I stop it and keep it stopped until I need it?

In my opinion, that is a poorly coded app. Some apps need to stay running, which I agree with. Apps like the launcher, cell services, etc., need to stay running, and sometimes will go dormant when not in the foreground. The Sam's app, for whatever reason, is setup to start upon destroy.

You can see if maybe there is a permission in Settings>Apps, but I don't think you are going to have much luck.

I would email the developer and ask them why. Depending on what the app does, you can uninstall it, create a bookmark on your browser, and have the shortcut to that bookmark on your homescreen (which really all a mobile application is just a bookmark and highly customized webpage).

Edit: I found a permission on the Play store that is called run at startup. That might be the one to deny.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That depends on the phone , Samsung you can disable until needed and pixels have a feature you can pause the app until needed.

[I moved this from Developer app to general help app Forum]

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
My phone is an LG G3. It will let me stop the app, but it will restart itself a few minutes later. It's a shame. I like it for shopping at Sam's. Don't have to wait at the registers. Scan N Go

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I would look for a Doze or Sleep option in your battery settings. For me on a Samsung I have to go pretty deep to find mine. For my Samsung the steps are Settings>Battery and device care>Battery>Background usage limits>Sleeping apps or Deep sleeping apps

You may also be able to just open Settings and try typing Sleep or Doze in search bar and find something.

Then you would just need to add the app to one of those lists and it shouldn't wake up until you actually open the app for use.

One additional thing. I have the Sam's app but don't have this issue. Is this new, did it recently start happening? I ask because I wonder if clearing the cache or app data might fix it. Maybe something is stuck in there and stopping it from closing correctly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo