How to check if an Android phone/tablet has got no factory reset?

pluto00

Feb 15, 2021
Visit site
I would like to buy a factory-new tablet (Galaxy Tab S6) so I would like to check if the device has ever turned on (since the production date) and also how to make sure no factory reset had done yet.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There is no way to access that kind of data (especially since factory reset does, indeed, wipe all record and data on the device). Plus, no device, even directly from the factory, hasn't been turned on and used since QC does this (some get just sampled, some higher use). Most you can do is check the manufacturing date to assess how old the battery is if that's something that worries you.

The only physical record in some brands (like Samsung) is a fuse that 'trips' when the device is rooted/modified from factory software.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
There is no way to access that kind of data (especially since factory reset does, indeed, wipe all record and data on the device).

Do you know that is for sure unavailable to Samsung devices? On my LG V60, I can go into the About Phone options in my settings and find the date of last factory reset. So it is technically possible if a manufacturer implements it, I just have no direct experience with Samsung in this regard.
Screenshots_2021-02-15-12-24-55.jpg

pluto00

Feb 15, 2021
Visit site
I'm thinking if it is possible to check when a user factory reset is actually done by checking file and folder dates in Android folder. Say if those dates are prior to the production date, it is probably no user factory reset has done so far.

However, I don't know what dates are given to files and folders in Android folder when doing a factory reset: Are they the present date at the time of the factory reset? Or they are copied from and the same as those of the original recovery source? (if so checking file dates cannot help)

pluto00

Feb 15, 2021
Visit site
Do you know that is for sure unavailable to Samsung devices? On my LG V60, I can go into the About Phone options in my settings and find the date of last factory reset. So it is technically possible if a manufacturer implements it, I just have no direct experience with Samsung in this regard.
View attachment 331917

I don't have that Tab S6 with me now but as soon as I get it I'll check if there is such info the settings. Thanks

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member