How to uninstall apps that wont

Sebastian42

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
I've run out of RAM so need to make more room or get a new phone. Most of the installed apps do not interest me, but resist uninstallation. Is there a method to get around this and so recoup some RAM for purposes I NEED ?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
You can reduce the storage that they occupy to a minimum by clearing their cache and data; then force stop, disable. Replace with factory version if offered that option. Apart from that you might be able to root the phone and uninstall completely, but the freed storage would be small. You could perhaps use Adoptable Storage to increase your effective storage.
But, probably the best way would be to buy a new phone having all the storage space you are likely to need. I personally prefer a minimum of 128gb.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I think you have RAM and storage confused, RAM is only used by apps and services as their running, if you delete an app that isn't used it will free up storage not RAM.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Software Development/Hacking forum to the General Help forum, which I think is a more appropriate place for it.

Sebastian42

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
L0n3N1nja - I had had got to think that Storage is for all kinds of DATA (video, pics, text etc), but RAM is for the operating system including apps. And that using an SD card to extend memory does not allow more apps to be installed. It is REALLY important to me that I have the facts straight - as I only want to buy a new phone as a last resort. My 4Gb does not allow me to install apps I need so I was considering investing in a (pricey) 6Gb. My greatest preference is to get rid of most of the pre-installed apps that refuse to be deleted, or get re-installed as soon as the phone 'updates'.

Sebastian42

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
Belodion - 'factory version' is the problem; that has numerous apps which I do NOT want; It is most of THOSE that I want to be rid of, and I was hoping someone might have found a way - which is why I placed my post on the HACK section of the forum. Do you agree that I have RAM and Storage confused ?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
What phone do you have?

RAM stands for random access memory, it's not used to store anything but temporary data for apps and services that are currently running. Close an app and it's no longer in RAM. The operating system itself will also use some RAM.

Your phones storage is for everything including the operating system data, installation of apps, text messages, photos, music, literally everything on your phone whether you are currently using it or not requires storage space.

4GB of RAM should be enough to run anything off the Play Store, if you are unable to download anything it sounds like you need to free up storage, not free up RAM.

Sebastian42

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
I've had unbelievable difficulty getting to this option to reply - but it is not my latest thread in which I 'announced' that I have succeeded in rooting my phone and in using Application Manager to uninstall apps that I don't want - as they take up RAM space, more profitably used for apps that I DO want. However, File Manager still shows those apps as using RAM, and the apps still appear on the screens. There is less clutter on the home screens now, but still more than I want and include icons for apps which Applications Manager uninstalled. I was able to see replies to my post, but unable to find a way to continue the thread - there is no 'login' option, although the first reply urges me to login. So forgive me B.Diddy for posting in the wrong thread, and Mustang7757 : I used Application Manager to uninstall all the Google Play apps (except the Play Store) but they are still on the home screen.
L0n3N1nja - your reply straight above this post - I had not been notified off, so did not see until I finally managed to get to THIS page. It suggests that I have in vain tried to free up RAM (contrary to a message I received saying that I did not have enough room, even though I had plenty of storage room).

B.Diddy - if you still want know what apps I uninstalled I CAN make a long list, but they included Flipboard, Dropbox, Drive, Email, Navigation etc The phone on which I did my experimenting was Samsung Galaxy Express GT18730T

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've had unbelievable difficulty getting to this option to reply - but it is not my latest thread in which I 'announced' that I have succeeded in rooting my phone and in using Application Manager to uninstall apps that I don't want - as they take up RAM space, more profitably used for apps that I DO want. However, File Manager still shows those apps as using RAM, and the apps still appear on the screens. There is less clutter on the home screens now, but still more than I want and include icons for apps which Applications Manager uninstalled. I was able to see replies to my post, but unable to find a way to continue the thread - there is no 'login' option, although the first reply urges me to login. So forgive me B.Diddy for posting in the wrong thread, and Mustang7757 : I used Application Manager to uninstall all the Google Play apps (except the Play Store) but they are still on the home screen.
L0n3N1nja - your reply straight above this post - I had not been notified off, so did not see until I finally managed to get to THIS page. It suggests that I have in vain tried to free up RAM (contrary to a message I received saying that I did not have enough room, even though I had plenty of storage room).

B.Diddy - if you still want know what apps I uninstalled I CAN make a long list, but they included Flipboard, Dropbox, Drive, Email, Navigation etc The phone on which I did my experimenting was Samsung Galaxy Express GT18730T
You were the original poster here ? No problem , are you still experiencing login issues?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1030190

Sebastian42

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
"are you still experiencing login issues?"
I use many forums, and when I get an email reply with a link I expect to be taken to the reply in my thread. I've 'just' received an email entitled "u have been quoted at Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com" which opened a thread I had forgotten about, which had NO new reply. Obviously I've gotten to this thread now, but it's taken me several dead-end routes. In my frustration I can't recall exactly how I got here, but I think it was from a message alert. So this time there was no logging in, but incredibly hard to find the thread.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
"are you still experiencing login issues?"
I use many forums, and when I get an email reply with a link I expect to be taken to the reply in my thread. I've 'just' received an email entitled "u have been quoted at Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com" which opened a thread I had forgotten about, which had NO new reply. Obviously I've gotten to this thread now, but it's taken me several dead-end routes. In my frustration I can't recall exactly how I got here, but I think it was from a message alert. So this time there was no logging in, but incredibly hard to find the thread.

Not sure what happen that caused you to have that issue .
But If you have problems finding your threads for any reason you can also click on >> Participated in the menu at the top left of forums and that will show all your posts / or threads you posted. Also can click on your avatar and then click posts or threads to see the ones you made

Last edited:

Sebastian42

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
This time I got two emails and the first one was a dead loss - "New Private Message at Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com" that lead me nowhere.
Luckily there was a second email with link to THIS thread, so I can reply. The Private Messages said that my post had been moved, but did not say where to, so I still have no idea where my latest new thread can be found.
"you can also click on >> Participated in the menu at the top left" IN VAIN have searched for that 'Participated' word.
Surely your forum does not NEED to be many times harder to participate in than the many others that I visit ?

I think part of the blame can be laid at Edge's door. I've just discovered 'tabs' in it to my threads - but they did not SEEM to open.

Is there any enlightenment about the persistence of the icons for apps on the screen after they have been uninstalled ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I had asked just previously if the "Application Manager" you're using is AppMgr III. I'm trying to figure out how exactly you're uninstalling these apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty