Pixel uses Google Voice if calling from Messages

RobRud

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a Pixel 5 -- The stock Messages app always defaults phone calls to Google Voice. If I use the Phone app, it uses my carrier (Verizon) as it should. (Under "Settings/Calls & SMS" I have both set to Verizon.)

The situation is this: If you open a message thread from a person, there is a little phone icon at the top to allow you to call the sender of the message. If I click that icon, it always uses my Google Voice number, not Verizon.

Is there a setting to turn this off somewhere?
Thanks
Rob

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to the Messages settings, and tap Advanced. What is listed under Phone Number? If it's your Google Voice number, what happens if you change it to your actual cell number?

Jim 5

Dec 7, 2021
Visit site
I'm using a Pixel 5 -- The stock Messages app always defaults phone calls to Google Voice. If I use the Phone app, it uses my carrier (Verizon) as it should. (Under "Settings/Calls & SMS" I have both set to Verizon.)

The situation is this: If you open a message thread from a person, there is a little phone icon at the top to allow you to call the sender of the message. If I click that icon, it always uses my Google Voice number, not Verizon.

Is there a setting to turn this off somewhere?
Thanks
Rob

Same issue here, not having any luck changing it.

Bri2e

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
My wife is dealing the same issue and can't find a fix. She as Google Voice account and number. She tried going through the google voice setup, but it was making her try to port her mobile number.

Pixel Photo.jpg

blueyestm

May 13, 2011
Visit site
My wife is dealing the same issue and can't find a fix. She as Google Voice account and number. She tried going through the google voice setup, but it was making her try to port her mobile number.

The setup doesn't port the cell phone number it needs the cell phone number to send calls and messages to if you have it set up that way. I'll test it now that I have the P6P because it doesn't function like that on my BB. Maybe it's a setting in GV.