New unlocked iPhone on Verizon - new SIM or not?

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
My son was given a brand new, unlocked iPhone 13. He never "activated" the new iPhone, he simply took the old SIM card out of his Samsung and everything worked fine, he says. I asked Verizon if there is anything else he needed to do and they said he might not be accessing 5G network without a new SIM. Is this true, or is he fine to just keep using the old SIM? Would there be any problems in swapping SIMs? Verizon sent us one that's just sitting on a desk.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can tell you that T-Mobile required a newer SIM to access 5G, so that may very well be the case for Verizon. I don't think there would be a problem, since it should be the same phone number. It would be very unlikely that he had saved any contacts to the current SIM card, but you might want to check just in case.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I can tell you that T-Mobile required a newer SIM to access 5G, so that may very well be the case for Verizon. I don't think there would be a problem, since it should be the same phone number. It would be very unlikely that he had saved any contacts to the current SIM card, but you might want to check just in case.

Thank you! Last thing I want is for it to screw his phone up, and Verizon tech Support is so hard to reach now adays, unfortunately.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I took my SIM card out of my Verizon Note 10+ and put it in my unlocked Fold 3 two weeks ago and I have had 5G the whole time.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I took my SIM card out of my Verizon Note 10+ and put it in my unlocked Fold 3 two weeks ago and I have had 5G the whole time.

We got him his old Samsung before 5G was a thing. Does it matter with the SIM? Will his iPhone show a 5G symbol if he is receiving that signal?

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
There's no charge for asking Verizon to send you a 5G SIM if you wish. I did that with my previous Fold bc I wanted both my phones with so called new SIM ...Though older ones work I'm sure will probably get the same haha

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
There's no charge for asking Verizon to send you a 5G SIM if you wish. I did that with my previous Fold bc I wanted both my phones with so called new SIM ...Though older ones work I'm sure will probably get the same haha

Correct, Verizon didn't charge for the new SIM.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo