Transfer whatsapp without google drive?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

How can I transfer all whatsapp (without using google drive because phone is faulty) to new phone so new phone will have all whatsapp messages/photos/videos.

Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Method 2 on this article.

To back up the chats on your old phones, go to WhatsApp Settings > Chats > Chat Backup. Here you will find the green ‘Backup’ button. Tap on the button to backup your chats locally on your phone. The backup file will be available in the folder WhatsApp > Databases in your local storage. Send the file with the latest creation date to your new phone and store it in the WhatsApp > Databases folder.

https://indianexpress.com/article/t... up the chats,Databases in your local storage.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
How about the WhatsApp media folder files? Do they need to be copied to the new phone so the old messages will appear correctly without broken images/videos?

I see in the WhatsApp media folder there are many files e.g.
WhatsApp\Media\WhatsApp Images
WhatsApp\Media\WhatsApp Video

Ben xfg

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

How can I transfer all whatsapp (without using google drive because phone is faulty) to new phone so new phone will have all whatsapp messages/photos/videos.

Thanks

Just copy the whole "WhatsApp" folder from the root directory of your old phone over to the new phone before installing WhatsApp.
Devices on Android 11 or later have the folder located withing the "Android" folder that resides in the root directory.

Thomas_George

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
In order to transfer Whatsapp messages without google drive, I think you can do it through WhatsApp's local backup. Or just take advantage of some professional utility such as Dr.Fone for the purpose.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Just copy the whole "WhatsApp" folder from the root directory of your old phone over to the new phone before installing WhatsApp.
Devices on Android 11 or later have the folder located withing the "Android" folder that resides in the root directory.

I have a new phone (Android 11) and [Internal storage>Android>media] is empty and I did not install Whatsapp yet, do you mean I manually create this new folder [com.whatsapp] at this location [internal storage/Android/media], so I can copy the old phone whatsapp folder to paste into this location [internal storage/Android/media/com.whatsapp/] ?
----------
Why this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ofm9gkliks at 11:57min and 15:24min says if the new phone did not install whatsapp yet, I should put my old phone [WhatsApp] folder into new phone [Internal storage] folder then install whatsapp in new phone?

He says if installed WhatsApp first in new phone then move the old phone Whatsapp folder to the new phone [Internal storage>Android>media>com.whatsapp]
----------
Info for reference:
New phone is Android 11 and I read android 11 whatsapp location is [internal storage/Android/media/com.whatsapp/WhatsApp] (which has 3 folders, Backups, Databases and Media) , source: https://www.reddit.com/r/whatsapp/comments/mxzbbl/is_it_just_me_or_whatsapp_has_changed_its_folder/
Old phone whatsapp location is [internal storage/WhatsApp] (which has 3 folders, Backups, Databases and Media)

Ben xfg

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
I have a new phone (Android 11) and [Internal storage>Android>media] is empty and I did not install Whatsapp yet, do you mean I manually create this new folder [com.whatsapp] at this location [internal storage/Android/media], so I can copy the old phone whatsapp folder to paste into this location [internal storage/Android/media/com.whatsapp/] ?

If the com.whatsapp folder isn't present (it wouldn't be if you haven't installed WhatsApp), then yes, precisely so.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
If the com.whatsapp folder isn't present (it wouldn't be if you haven't installed WhatsApp), then yes, precisely so.

1. Does com.whatsapp folder appear immediately after I download whatsapp app into my phone (without opening it and installing it yet)? If no, when does com.whatsapp folder appear?

2. Assume I have older date files (either WhatsApp folder or WhatsApp/Databases folder) that was made in 30 Jun 2020, does it mean it if I copy and paste (either WhatsApp folder or WhatsApp/Databases folder) into existing phone (that has whatsapp installed) then when I open whatsapp I will see the history that are 30 Jun 2020 and earlier?

3. What is the difference between copy only WhatsApp/Databases one folder vs whole WhatsApp folder?

Thanks

Ben xfg

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
An important detail I may have missed mentioning is that you need to manually run a backup on the old phone before copying the WhatsApp folder to your new device You can do this by navigating to whatsapp settings, chats, chat backup.

1. The folder would appear immediately after you give WhatsApp permission to access internal storage. In the case that you have already added the folder structure it wants to build, it will find your folder, check for a backup, and offer you the option to restore if it finds a backup resting in the proper location.

2. No, you only get a chance to restore a backup once while setting up WhatsApp - you can not do it later without clearing data or uninstalling the app.

3. If you don't copy the whole folder then you will probably only get a partial restore.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
An important detail I may have missed mentioning is that you need to manually run a backup on the old phone before copying the WhatsApp folder to your new device You can do this by navigating to whatsapp settings, chats, chat backup.

1. The folder would appear immediately after you give WhatsApp permission to access internal storage. In the case that you have already added the folder structure it wants to build, it will find your folder, check for a backup, and offer you the option to restore if it finds a backup resting in the proper location.

2. No, you only get a chance to restore a backup once while setting up WhatsApp - you can not do it later without clearing data or uninstalling the app.

3. If you don't copy the whole folder then you will probably only get a partial restore.

4. After I install whatsapp in new phone do I need to press the whatsapp button at least once for com.whatsapp folder to appear?

5. "The folder would appear immediately after you give WhatsApp permission to access internal storage">How do you do this? Is this saying about the popup that would happen during after first time pressing of installed whatsapp button there would be some accept/deny permission popup message then I press accept?

6. "2. No, you only get a chance to restore a backup once while setting up WhatsApp - you can not do it later without clearing data or uninstalling the app." How to clear data? Does after clear data means it will then be like a new whatsapp then during set up I can select the older backup I want?

7. Assume now (23 Aug 2022) I am using whatsapp and I want to load a older saved backup (30 Jun 2020) to see some older info not in my whatsapp now, then later load the newest backup (23 Aug 2022), please tell me the steps how to do it?

Thank you.

Ben xfg

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
4. After I install whatsapp in new phone do I need to press the whatsapp button at least once for com.whatsapp folder to appear?

You would need to open the app once and run through setup until it asks permissions. The folder appears right after granting permissions.

5. "The folder would appear immediately after you give WhatsApp permission to access internal storage">How do you do this? Is this saying about the popup that would happen during after first time pressing of installed whatsapp button there would be some accept/deny permission popup message then I press accept?

Yes.

6. "2. No, you only get a chance to restore a backup once while setting up WhatsApp - you can not do it later without clearing data or uninstalling the app." How to clear data? Does after clear data means it will then be like a new whatsapp then during set up I can select the older backup I want?

You can clear data by going to the apps information page in settings. Clearing data does pretty much the same thing as uninstall/reinstall. WhatsApp will always look for the latest backup on the device (or Google Drive). You cannot choose an older backup.

7. Assume now (23 Aug 2022) I am using whatsapp and I want to load a older saved backup (30 Jun 2020) to see some older info not in my whatsapp now, then later load the newest backup (23 Aug 2022), please tell me the steps how to do it?

Thank you.

You would need the complete folder structure from the previous time and just paste that one into the com.whatsapp folder instead of the latest one.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
You would need to open the app once and run through setup until it asks permissions. The folder appears right after granting permissions.

Yes.

You can clear data by going to the apps information page in settings. Clearing data does pretty much the same thing as uninstall/reinstall. WhatsApp will always look for the latest backup on the device (or Google Drive). You cannot choose an older backup.

You would need the complete folder structure from the previous time and just paste that one into the com.whatsapp folder instead of the latest one.

8. If I only have a single file from WhatsApp/Databases folder msgstore-2020-01-25.1.db.crypt12 , if I only put this file msgstore-2020-01-25.1.db.crypt12 into [internal storage/Android/media/com.whatsapp/WhatsApp/Databases] and restart the Whatsapp app will it load the history before 25 Jan 2020?

9. "WhatsApp will always look for the latest backup on the device (or Google Drive). You cannot choose an older backup." does it mean if i want to load a older backup the only way is to copy the older (that date that I saved) folder WhatsApp and put into [internal storage/Android/media/com.whatsapp/]

10. Does whatsapp during setup restore from internal storage or google drive first? How to specify whatapps to restore from internal storage or google drive during setup?

11. After older backup is loaded, how to prevent new messages from coming in, I only wish to read old messages for a while then later restore to newest backup? If a new message is received during the older backup is loaded, how to move it to the latest backup?

12. How to download the google drive whatsapp backup to save it into PC? I do not find any way to do it.

Thanks.

Ben xfg

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
8. If I only have a single file from WhatsApp/Databases folder msgstore-2020-01-25.1.db.crypt12 , if I only put this file msgstore-2020-01-25.1.db.crypt12 into [internal storage/Android/media/com.whatsapp/WhatsApp/Databases] and restart the Whatsapp app will it load the history before 25 Jan 2020?

It might if you delete any newer database files. I can't confirm as I haven't tested this.

9. "WhatsApp will always look for the latest backup on the device (or Google Drive). You cannot choose an older backup." does it mean if i want to load a older backup the only way is to copy the older (that date that I saved) folder WhatsApp and put into [internal storage/Android/media/com.whatsapp/]

I assume so, but like I said, I haven't personally tried it.

10. Does whatsapp during setup restore from internal storage or google drive first? How to specify whatapps to restore from internal storage or google drive during setup?

It will look for the latest backup - whether it be Google Drive or local.

11. After older backup is loaded, how to prevent new messages from coming in, I only wish to read old messages for a while then later restore to newest backup? If a new message is received during the older backup is loaded, how to move it to the latest backup?

Turn on airplane mode.

12. How to download the google drive whatsapp backup to save it into PC? I do not find any way to do it.

Thanks.

I don't have an answer for this, sorry.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Turn on airplane mode.
Can the whole process of whatsapp installation be done during turn on airplane mode?

Can the whole process of whatsapp installation be done during no internet (mobile data disabled, wifi disabled)?

If a new whatsapp message is received accidentally during the older backup is loaded, how to move it to the latest backup?

During whatsapp installation setup does the verification of phone number need internet (mobile data, wifi) enabled, or need active phone service or SIM card?

Thanks

Ben xfg

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Can the whole process of whatsapp installation be done during turn on airplane mode?

Can the whole process of whatsapp installation be done during no internet (mobile data disabled, wifi disabled)?

If a new whatsapp message is received accidentally during the older backup is loaded, how to move it to the latest backup?

During whatsapp installation setup does the verification of phone number need internet (mobile data, wifi) enabled, or need active phone service or SIM card?

Thanks

Need internet connection for setup.

Can't move messages to another backup that I'm aware. You could tell the person to send it again though.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Need internet connection for setup.

Can't move messages to another backup that I'm aware. You could tell the person to send it again though.

Do I need to insert SIM card before whatsapp installation?

"to prevent new messages from coming in, I only wish to read old messages for a while then later restore to newest backup" you mentioned putting on airplane mode, would airplane mode block calls and sms and prevent the whatsapp sms verification code? Should I disable wifi and mobile data only (instead of using airplane mode)?

Ben xfg

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Do I need to insert SIM card before whatsapp installation?

"to prevent new messages from coming in, I only wish to read old messages for a while then later restore to newest backup" you mentioned putting on airplane mode, would airplane mode block calls and sms and prevent the whatsapp sms verification code? Should I disable wifi and mobile data only (instead of using airplane mode)?

You need the SIM card in a device in order to receive the verification code, but it doesn't necessarily need to be the one you're setting up WhatsApp on.

It doesn't really matter how you do it, you just need to offline if you don't want to receive any messages. Airplane mode just does that with one click.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch